Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Living with someone claiming housing benefit? Is this ok?

(154 Posts)
DroneMcClone Fri 21-Apr-17 10:31:20

I have a 2 year old and live in a property where my rent is paid by housing benefit.

I work 2 days per week.

My partner lives with me, doesn't work due to ill health.

Is there any reason why my father can't live with me? Father just does casual work so not in a position to pay rent.

kingfisherblue33 Fri 21-Apr-17 10:32:44

Without knowing more, why should the state pay to house your father? Why can't your father work at something more than 'casual work' (like the rest of us do!)?

DroneMcClone Fri 21-Apr-17 10:35:10

My dad looks after my 2 year old on the days I work. It's minimum wage job so wouldn't pay me to get paid childcare.

VladmirsPoutine Fri 21-Apr-17 10:35:56

Am I understanding correctly that your partner does live with you and you're considering moving your father in too?

DroneMcClone Fri 21-Apr-17 10:36:15


kingfisherblue33 Fri 21-Apr-17 10:36:29

What can your partner do? Is he allowed to be living with you? Can't he do childcare so you could work more?

x2boys Fri 21-Apr-17 10:37:47

i have no idea wether its ok or not we claim a small amount of housing benefit dh works full time miniumum wage, i,m a carer for our disabled child, the council need to know who lives in our house and payments are based on that

MirriMazDuur Fri 21-Apr-17 10:38:03

You'd need to inform the council and it would be reassessed.

User7654 Fri 21-Apr-17 10:39:34

You can get help with childcare costs surely?

DroneMcClone Fri 21-Apr-17 10:39:44

I just thought it would be ok because my father's income is so low and uncertain. However i don't want to get into trouble.

x2boys Fri 21-Apr-17 10:39:56

Mirri said what i was trying to say in my convoluted way.

MirriMazDuur Fri 21-Apr-17 10:42:13

You could definitely get in trouble if you moved him in and didn't tell them.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Fri 21-Apr-17 10:42:26

With our council an added adult would reduce Hb by £70 a week if they were employed regardless of wage.

mumblechum0 Fri 21-Apr-17 10:43:13

Wouldn't your dad be entitled to HB in his own right though?

nancy75 Fri 21-Apr-17 10:45:29

if you work 2 days a week that leaves 5 other days in the week that your dad could work?

DroneMcClone Fri 21-Apr-17 10:46:30

So could we both claim housing benefit and put it into the same house?

DroneMcClone Fri 21-Apr-17 10:47:19

Dad is 54 and feels too old to be working full time though

PencilsInSpace Fri 21-Apr-17 10:47:35

You'll have a non-dependant deduction on your HB and your DF will not be able to claim HB to pay you rent.

As long as you declare it and can afford the arrangement it's fine.

x2boys Fri 21-Apr-17 10:48:55

i dont think so, would you not be better speaking to your council about this rather than a load of randoms on the internet different councils have different rules.

DroneMcClone Fri 21-Apr-17 10:49:18

Thanks for the advice though, it's really useful.

DroneMcClone Fri 21-Apr-17 10:49:58

Yes I will do, thought I'd check out some initla info first.

Berthatydfil Fri 21-Apr-17 10:50:12

He would be regarded as a non dependant adult and his income would be assessed as part of your claim. I'm not totally sure of the rules but If he's earning over a certain amount there is a reduction in your claim on the basis that he will be giving you that money as "rent" .
If he is on a low income and gets hb in his own right then I suspect he won't be able to claim when living with you but your reduction will be minimal. But you will need to check.

You could try googling non dependants and hb or try an online calculator or ringing your council just to ask although they might not be able to give you the exact figure la without him having actually moved in.

x2boys Fri 21-Apr-17 10:51:06

and whilst your dad might feel to old unless there are any health or disabillity issues he may find it difficult to claim benefits just because he feels to old to work full time.

mumblechum0 Fri 21-Apr-17 10:51:11

Dad is 54 and feels too old to be working full time though

Say what? grin I'm 54 and work 14 hours a day 6 days a week!

BrieAndChilli Fri 21-Apr-17 10:51:12

54 is too old to work hmm

Are you trying to start a bun fight???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now