Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Other people's bolognaise...

(320 Posts)
user1491572121 Fri 21-Apr-17 10:06:12

It's just not as good as your own is it? Or am I fussy?

I'm not a "great" cook but I'm quite good. I make Bolognaise my own way and other people's is just somehow....wrong!

About three times I've had friends say "Oooh WAIT till' you taste MY Bolognaise!" or "DH's Spag Bol is the most AMAZING!"

And then I've eaten it and thought "Meh" or once "YUK!"

A friend recently bigged his Bolognaise up for a solid week...all about how amazing it is etc.

He then cooked it for me and it was ORANGE! And tasted of nothing but celery quite frankly.

Bloody awful.

Mine on the other hand... grin

But the point is, of course mine is nicest to ME...but to other people theirs would be the nicest. Am I right?

My mate didn't even use bloody garlic in his! shock

ProudBadMum Fri 21-Apr-17 10:08:22

Mine is better than ProudBadDads. He won't admit it but he knows it.

What's your recipe and I'll do both and watch as he picks mine winkgrin

x2boys Fri 21-Apr-17 10:09:28

its a matter of taste mines very simple just mince and a jar but ds much prefers mine to my dads my dad puts all sorts in his.

user1491572121 Fri 21-Apr-17 10:11:35

Proud mine's quite basic really...it's not traditional or probably even "good" but I like it.

Mine's just onion, garlic, mince, tomatoes fresh or tinned, finely chopped carrots, a couple of Oxos (I said it was basic!) and some rosemary and basil.

Orangedaisy Fri 21-Apr-17 10:11:59

It's like roast potatoes. You get used to how you have it and then nothing else will do.

SheWhoDaresGins2 Fri 21-Apr-17 10:12:07

My mate didn't even use bloody garlic in his!

I sincerely hope you binned him as a mate! shock

I think I'm like you, I only like mine. At work a woman was renowned for being an excellent cook, she made spag bol for us all 1 weekend and it was bland. Everyone was raving about it and I was confused as to what was so amazing.

Mine on the other hand is made with hours of love and really hits the spot. Where do you live OP, we should swap and judge each other grin

ProudBadMum Fri 21-Apr-17 10:13:12

Ahh mines pretty similar as I can't be arsed and no fucker likes onions in it. Garlic passata is used.

Or I use a jar of dolmio grin

My son eats pasta for fun so usually just let him pick what he wants in. Yesterday he had a bit of chilli powder in it

Fluffyears Fri 21-Apr-17 10:13:31

I used to work with someone who claimed his bolognese was just mince and tomato purée 'non of that fancy stuff in mine!' Since when had onion, garlic, passata and a beef stick cube been 'fancy'. My mums is the best and the only dish she is actually any good at 🍝

Hassled Fri 21-Apr-17 10:14:08

I feel exactly the same. No-one makes ragu/bolognese sauce as well as I make it. My secret is a generous amount of red wine (I realise that will make Italians weep) and a really long cooking time - 3 or 4 hours if I can manage it.

WipsGlitter Fri 21-Apr-17 10:16:06

Spag Bol is revolting nursery food. If I went to someone's house for dinner and was served it I would be most put out.

SquedgieBeckenheim Fri 21-Apr-17 10:16:14

My dad's is the best. DD's is a passable replacement. Mine is ok.
We all use same recipe...

RicketyCricket Fri 21-Apr-17 10:17:17

I find that a lot of people don't cook their meat sauce for long enough resulting in a watery and bland bolognese.

The whole basis of Italian ragu is the slow cooking of the sauce.

BellaGoth Fri 21-Apr-17 10:17:23

I'm just jealous other people are cooking for you! Nobody ever cooks for me.

I'll eat anything I've not had to cook.

therootoftheroot Fri 21-Apr-17 10:18:13

Dh's is the best.
The secret ingredient is smoked bacon.
We put loads of courgette and peppers, onion, garlic ,oxo ,passata , Italian herbs and I put a bit of systems sauce in for extra umami. It's amazing.

MovingtoParadise Fri 21-Apr-17 10:18:18

I cook mine for 12 hours with a full bottle of wine in it. Deep, deep flavour.

KoolKoala07 Fri 21-Apr-17 10:18:51

Even worse when people use jars of sauce for bolognaise. tastes like crap.

therootoftheroot Fri 21-Apr-17 10:19:16

Not system sauce
Soy sauce

MongerTruffle Fri 21-Apr-17 10:20:20

Orange Bolognese sauce?

MrsPinkCock Fri 21-Apr-17 10:21:21

When I first met DH he raved about his spag Bol being amazing. It was bland and tasteless.

Mine is delish. So much so that even DH agrees.

Can't stand restaurant spag Bol either - it's so wrong! I feel the same about lasagne. Mine is literally perfect <preens>

charliethebear Fri 21-Apr-17 10:21:59

My mums is the best. Even DP admits it grin
I dont like anyone else's, they are always wrong, even my own tastes off and I follow the same recipe.

dalek Fri 21-Apr-17 10:22:13

Bella - I'm with you - if someone else has cooked it I'll eat it gratefully.

Having sad that my bolognaise is the best! wink

MrsPinkCock Fri 21-Apr-17 10:22:34

Oh, and don't get me started on Mary Berry using CREAM in it.

Or my cousin using that cheap frozen pork and beef mince crap. Boak.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Fri 21-Apr-17 10:23:27

I think you'll find that mine is the best winkgrin

But yes you're right. That and lasagne.

toofarfromcivilisation Fri 21-Apr-17 10:23:55

Mine comes out quite orange but I use those lovely sweet mini peppers in it.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Fri 21-Apr-17 10:24:17

I don't think mine's anything special but my lot absolutely love it. I buy beef meatballs and smash them up a bit when making the meat sauce, it's a bit chunkier, add soffritto, garlic bacon lardons and leave it for a couple of hours with an oxo cube x 2 crumbled in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now