Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Easy ways to unfuck my habitat?

(20 Posts)
teawamutu Fri 21-Apr-17 09:53:15

I need the wisdom of MN smile

My house is stressing me out. It's not Hoarders level or anything, but it's a slightly scruffy Victorian terrace inhabited by two adults and two DC who all have too many books and hobbies. Both Dh and I work ft, so while we both pull our weight - laundry up to date, floors, bathroom and kitchen cleaned every week, dusting done - it's all fairly 'sod it that'll do'.

Are there any checklists you can recommend for jobs that will make a big difference?

And are there any good tips for, e.g., window cleaning that work without major elbow grease? I've given up because it never looks better than when I started!

momoh Fri 21-Apr-17 10:08:30

It's all about organisation. You can keep things tidy but if you can still see it it will annoy you. Have a look at IKEA storage as they're excellent on making the house looking modern yet efficient!

BahHumbygge Fri 21-Apr-17 10:08:55

Habit stacking - things you do regularly, eg boil kettle for tea, "bolt" another activity onto it.

Examples

Boil kettle - wipe one section of worktop, or unpack one shelf of dishwasher, or put 3 items away.

Brush teeth - give sink a quick wipe round

Put washing machine on - give floor a 2 min sweep

"Don't put it down, put it away"

Never leave a room or go up/downstairs empty handed, there's always something that needs moved elsewhere.

Window cleaning - diluted vinegar in a spray bottle, rub with scrunched up newspaper then buff with lint free microfibre cloth

thegoatwhogotthequiche Fri 21-Apr-17 10:31:46

Read this book, it may well sound ridiculous in places but it really works, life is so much easier now that the house is clutter free

Buy a kindle and get rid of non sentimental books

Always put 1 wash on a day

Do grocery shopping online and use the time you saved to blitz the house/do your hobby

Colour code towels, tooth brushes, school water bottles etc, that way if something is dropped on the floor you know who it belongs to

Batch cook, make a big mess in the kitchen once for several meals cooked

Pay someone to do the one or two (or however many you can afford) jobs that you hate or are frankly useless at . So for me it's windows and grass cutting, I am hopeless and very slow at both, paying someone saves me stacks of time and they do a good job.

teawamutu Fri 21-Apr-17 17:48:31

Thank you, some food for thought here. Looking at all those, I already organise as much as I can, wipe down as I go etc. And I quite enjoy my Lidl Aisle of Wonder trip every week, but fortnightly deliveries might be a good idea.

The two problems are really: 1. too much bloody STUFF, which means a declutter and then more storage, and 2. Chips and scraped paintwork and little jobs /deep clean tasks like washing windows. Those I think I need to separate into JFDI and outsourcing.

Badcat666 Fri 21-Apr-17 18:07:12

Pick a room and de clutter the fuck out of it over a weekend. Be ruthless. Books and stuff you don't use to a charity shop. Stock up on strong bin bags for the crap that needs to go down the dump then clean and scrub, even paintwork/ woodwork during the following week as you go along. Once one room is done it feels so good. Then do another room when you've recovered. Rinse and repeat.

Furniture can be moved around, even to other rooms once they are done. I've just de cluttered and madly cleaned my little place. Just need to sort the shed out now where I dumped bits that need to go to the dump 😱

thegoatwhogotthequiche Fri 21-Apr-17 18:25:07

ha ha, yes I get what you mean about the declutter and more storage, this book is more like declutter and no more storage! I got rid of LOADS.

For me anyway it went into the reasons why we keep things which was very liberating in lots of ways, but then I had always wanted to be a minimalist I just didn't know how. But I think if you have room for it all and it doesn't bog you down, lots of stuff is good.

teawamutu Sun 23-Apr-17 11:00:20

Right, Decluttering the Fuck Out Of My House, live stream:

Have bought bookcase and shelf unit. About to start chucking stuff out of the spare room.

Fishface77 Sun 23-Apr-17 11:05:35

Ooh watching with interest. My house is scruffy and stuff is overspilling. I have plenty of storage but even that is full and I have no room for more storage!

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sun 23-Apr-17 11:33:39

Be ruthless, you won't regret it.

teawamutu Sun 23-Apr-17 11:36:54

Bookcases emptied, three bags of books and cds ready to go to charity.

I'm in the zone grin

teawamutu Sun 23-Apr-17 11:38:11

Small crappy bookcases, that is. One nice big one ready to be collected.

Now to sort the clothes that were stuffed under the sofa bed, as is now folded and being a sofa.

Astro55 Sun 23-Apr-17 11:43:32

You have two choices

1) 1 wonder round and keep just on top of things - rubbish in the bin - clothes in the wash basket - cups in the kitchen

Or

2) Do not leave that room until it is spotless

2) has a greater impact than one

I used to dedicate one job per night - Tuesday bathroom - Wednesday sock sorting

This helps

Badcat666 Sun 23-Apr-17 11:50:36

You go girl!! waves cleaning poms poms for you

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sun 23-Apr-17 11:52:26

Good stuff Teawamutu ! ⭐️👏🏻

DJBaggySmalls Sun 23-Apr-17 11:54:54

For windows, put a tablespoon of white vinegar in a pint of tepid water. Use that to clean the window, then dry with scrunched up newspaper.

BertieBotts Sun 23-Apr-17 11:57:26

The life changing magic of tidying (konmari method) is amazing. There is a MN thread about this.

SkeletonSkins Sun 23-Apr-17 11:57:31

My tip is that each/every other day I get a carrier bag and do a tour of the house. I bin anything that is lying around and not needed. Stops things piling up when they're no longer needed.

teawamutu Sun 23-Apr-17 12:14:50

Clothes sorted. Could have saved quite a bit of money not buying clothes for ds2, as there were tons of ds1's hand me downs. <sigh>

Unwanted clothes now taken to charity shop round corner. There's now room for bookcase so off to collect it.

teawamutu Sun 23-Apr-17 16:30:55

Spare room is now a lovely craft room. Craft stuff in there means I can now unfuck the play room.

Dh decluttering kitchen, on strict understanding that I say Not One Word should something he throws away be something I later think I might have liked to keep...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now