Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Do you wash your cat ?

(150 Posts)
CauliflowerSqueeze Fri 21-Apr-17 06:20:45

I can't understand why in America it seems to be the thing to do. My cat would go absolutely insane and probably murder me in my sleep!

lizzieoak Fri 21-Apr-17 06:24:32

Good god no, why would I? You're sure it's a thing in America and not just among some tiny subset of (scratched up) mad people?

Hs2Issue Fri 21-Apr-17 06:33:59

Our cat has been washed once in her life and it was an experience she and DH are keen never to repeat again. (She was washed as she fell into the paint tray and then landed on the floor, work surface, walls etc). DH was painting the kitchen and had shut her out and she was very curious about what he was doing in there. He ended up with scratches all up her arms and chest and the cat was in a sulk for ages. Luckily I missed it all including the big clean up operation in the kitchen.

FruSkogKattOla Fri 21-Apr-17 06:36:03

No shock. Although DozyFruCat loves being brushed, I think he'd draw the line at being washed, which I have no intention of testing, and MadFruCat would turn into a ravening tiger.

LucyFuckingPevensie Fri 21-Apr-17 06:36:46

We did once, she came home covered in some strange paint like stuff that reeked of chemicals. It took 2 of us to bath her and she didn't speak to us for a whole day.
Not sure if it was the right thing to do but she is ok 5 years later.

AwkwardSquad Fri 21-Apr-17 06:36:59

No. I'm too young to die.

lizzieoak Fri 21-Apr-17 06:37:24

Your dh deserves a medal.

Aside from toxic substances though, what would be the point? I could see a cat groomer for rescues who are longhair and have gotten matted (our shaggy one requires brushing or he gets tangles- he's just a moggy but a magnificently fluffy one). We brush him ourselves though.

abbsisspartacus Fri 21-Apr-17 06:38:14

Yes a couple of times he would get flea dermatitis and his skin would be too sore for frontline so I bathed him to soothe it unfortunately he was a bit daft and kept trying to escape the bath by swimming down still it got rid of the flea grin

ShesAStar Fri 21-Apr-17 06:40:23

Never washed my female cat but the male rolled into a muddy puddle and he's fur was thick with mud so I had to wash him. It involved me holding him and DH dousing him in warm water before he ran away, then we tried to dry him with a towel but he thought we were torturing him so that involved a lot of chasing. It was really awful!

Slothlikesundays Fri 21-Apr-17 06:43:22

Mine once fell in the bath with me, so an accidental bathing if you like. I got scratched to bits rescuing him and he was so traumatised he no longer sits on the edge of the bath trying to fish my toes. Probably for the best really.

Fadingmemory Fri 21-Apr-17 06:43:30

Would only do so if he fell into something like paint, a cow pat (unlikely in the city) etc ie if he might become ill through ingesting the substance. Otherwise, his own bathing techniques seem more than adequate.

MrsPnut Fri 21-Apr-17 06:43:33

We've bathed our cat a few times, once she had an upset stomach and got diarrhoea down her back legs and another time she was covered in something black.
We put her in the shower cubicle to do it but she is a very docile cat anyway - we carry her around like a baby regularly.

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Fri 21-Apr-17 06:53:14

We've had to once, I wore rubber oven gloves and held her, Dp wore gardening gloves and slathered her in shampoo and rinsed.
After the wash we rough towel dried and avoided eye contact while she low primal growled at us then released her into the bedroom and shut the door fast.
We talked about sleeping on the sofas that night so no one had to open that door.

Jellybean85 Fri 21-Apr-17 06:58:26

I had a plasterer round re doing my bathroom, didn't realise my Dcat had got in there and got a big dollop of plaster on him.
Plasterer was v apologetic but not his fault.
Had to wash that off because he kept trying to lick it.
He kept scratching me. I wouldn't do it unless totally necessary though he did look really cute and bedraggled.
Pictures are him trying to eat plaster off his body and when he's all loud and wet grin

CaoNiMartacus Fri 21-Apr-17 06:59:22

I have a deep scar down my sternum from the time I tried to wash CaoNiCat1. People who see it have sometimes asked if it was from open-heart surgery.

Never again. Cats, like fanjos, are self-cleaning.

strongandlong Fri 21-Apr-17 07:03:09

Ha ha CaoNi: "Cats, like fanjos, are self-cleaning."

Quote of the day, and very true.

Wallywobbles Fri 21-Apr-17 07:08:56

Did it once at uni. Very bad flea infestation. He went for my throat, claw marks in the skin - pulled off by house mate and he bit nearly clean through her arm. He was hanging if it by his teeth. Bloody terrifying experience.

When younger had a cat with fox mange. He had to be dunked in a treatment bath daily. Bad news but not as bad as the uni experience.

kalinkafoxtrot45 Fri 21-Apr-17 07:09:31

I had a Burmese once, who came home slathered in mud from. ose to tail. He was actually quite happy to be bathed and purred happily throughout.

gamerwidow Fri 21-Apr-17 07:11:18

I had to wash my cat once when he ran through paint it's not an experience I want to repeat because I enjoy having skin on my arms.

Hassled Fri 21-Apr-17 07:13:59

I had a cat once who appeared in the house covered in some sort of black oil. God knows what he'd done. It ended up with Ex-H and I rubbing Swarfega into him and then rinsing him off in the bath - it really wasn't fun. There was blood, and swearing. Cat was fine though.

OutingMyself Fri 21-Apr-17 07:16:26

We have a very long haired cat who used to regularly get diarrhoea back when he had a cancerous tumour (it's all but gone now the tumour has), so I have given him a fair few baths, yes. We do shave around his back end but sometimes he still managed to get covered so it was necessary.

Its certainly not something I'd do for fun! But better than cleaning poo off the carpet/settee/bed.

I had to clean engine oil off our shorthaired cat once and I was lucky to escape with my life.

YesItsMeIDontCare Fri 21-Apr-17 07:19:44

Had to wash my old boy regularly towards the end of his furry little life. He was semi-longhair and got poo round his bum a lot. Too old to clean himself up at that end. He was a docile little thing though.

Hell will probably freeze over before I attempt to bath Leroy. Hell will definitely freeze over before he lets me!

Roundincirclesagainandagain Fri 21-Apr-17 07:21:26

I have an elderly cat who keeps pooing then sitting in it!!! 😷 cue shitty litter clumps all
Over the house and her!! I would say I run the shower over her back end about 4 times a week!!!! She is very gentle and take it x

NapoleonsNose Fri 21-Apr-17 07:21:46

Me and DS decided to give Napoleoncat a bath when she had a bad bout of flea allergic dermatitis. Never, ever again. It was carnage. The bathroom resembled a flood of biblical proportions, we were scratched to bits and she sulked for hours afterwards. It didn't do much for the flea problem either, although she did smell quite nice for a bit.

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Fri 21-Apr-17 07:22:01

I had to wash our cat once, when she was elderly and stiff. She had got poo on her side and leg.

Feisty, independent, Madam barely made any attempt to assert herself. She clearly disliked it, but didn't seem stressed, and just let her minion (me!) get on with it.

That's when I knew she was reaching the end of her life, and she died in her sleep a few days later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now