Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Has anyone tried not washing their hair for a long time?

(38 Posts)
brexitstolemyfuture Wed 19-Apr-17 22:16:25

I personally struggle with only doing it every other day. I do think this probably strios too many natural oils and the body creates more to compensate.

Apparently if you wash less it does get greecer less. A health YouTuber has not washed hers in anything but hot water for a year and raves about it.

Has anyone actually tried it?

BumWad Wed 19-Apr-17 22:16:52

I wash mine once a week.

It's fine

Chattymummyhere Wed 19-Apr-17 22:22:22

I don't wash my hair very often (hang up from bright coloured hair) I find the more I wash it the more it needs washing.

MaudLyn Wed 19-Apr-17 22:27:36

I didn't wash it for a month once (Only done it once! I had headlice!) and it was greasy as hell.

LanaDReye Wed 19-Apr-17 22:28:34

Watching as I've thought about doing this.

LanaDReye Thu 20-Apr-17 14:48:36

Still watching...

GandolfBold Thu 20-Apr-17 14:51:21

I need t do mine every other day or by the third day it looks like an oil slick. I couldn't cope with going any longer without washing it.

ActivityGrrl Thu 20-Apr-17 15:59:20

I wash my hair once a week with hot water - no shampoo, conditioner etc. It's called "water-only washing" and you can find a lot of information about it online! grin
I've always had greasy hair that needed washing every morning, and now my hair is in the best condition it has ever been in, so I totally recommend it!

brexitstolemyfuture Thu 20-Apr-17 20:30:18

Grrl, is it really hot water you use? To dissolve the oil?

No shampoo ever?

I'm on my third day of not washing and it's itchy as fuck.

CurlsandCurves Thu 20-Apr-17 20:41:13

My hair is curly and never gets greasy. I can do a couple of weeks without washing it, I think it does it good not to strip out the natural oils. Just means I'm limited to scraping it back in a ponytail but hey it's practical.

ActivityGrrl Thu 20-Apr-17 20:44:11

No shampoo ever!

There's a few important things you need to do if you're washing with only water, however - every night, before bed, you need to follow a routine.

First of all, a head massage. Wash your hands, then rub your scalp in circular motions with the pads of your fingers. This warms up the oil on your scalp, making it easier to work with, and also ensures that dry skin is dislodged, so that it can be removed by a brush. Having oil build up on your scalp, and not removing dead skin cells, will make your scalp feel itchy. As an added bonus, circular rubbing on the scalp stimulates blood flow and encourages healthy hair growth smile

Next, you need to grab hair gently at the root between your finger and thumb, and pull down towards your ends. This helps to distribute the oil from your scalp across your strands. It takes a little while, but your hair should feel a little bit more oily when you're done.

Finally, get a boar bristle brush, and run it through your hair. These brushes help to spread the oil from your roots down your hair evenly, and will absorb some of it into the bristles. This was a common practice in the 1940s and 50s when hair washing was less frequent - some books from the time suggest women should brush their hair 100 times a night, but thankfully you don't need to be that drastic.
To make sure you're not spreading old oil through your hair, I would wash the brush once a week at least (you can find out how online).

You should carry out this routine each night before bed, and also right before your hair wash. On average, it takes 2-3 weeks for your scalp to get used to your new routine and to stop producing too much oil grin

AtSea1979 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:45:45

My hair is dry and I only wash it every 5-6 days. Any longer and it gets itchy and smelly. I couldn't imagine it smells nice or is clean with a just water wash. Hair is one of the dirtiest things, when you think how often you wash your hands, or even your body and it's there around your face. Ewww

AmberLin Thu 20-Apr-17 20:46:55

I wash mine once every 10 days roughly. I use dry shampoo sometimes for volume. It doesn't look greasy but thick and bouncy. Usually plait it for bed so get curls next day. If I wash every day like my dm does it looks stringy and disgusting every morning!

ActivityGrrl Thu 20-Apr-17 20:51:02

@AtSea1979 in all fairness, I know several people with water-only routines and none of us have smelly hair! Not washing your hair every day doesn't mean we aren't keeping up our hygiene, and making sure that you prevent oil build up will stop any oil-related scalp smell. If, for some reason, your hair did smell, then spraying on a perfume or body spray would probably work, but like I said I've never heard of anyone with smelly hair.

DangerMouse17 Thu 20-Apr-17 20:54:32

How does a water wash work if you do a lot of exercise though please?

RedBugMug Thu 20-Apr-17 20:56:07

yes, it's called being a teenager grin

ActivityGrrl Thu 20-Apr-17 21:01:59

@DangerMouse17 there's a lot of discussion about that online - some people find that they have to cold-water rinse their hair after a workout to remove sweat, but don't do a proper hot water scrub each and every time. When you wash your hair with just water, you still have to rub your head and hair as though you were using shampoo, as that's how you remove sweat and oil.

Personally, I don't really sweat even when working out, but if my hair seems a bit limp after hitting the gym, I use some dry shampoo/baking soda to spruce it up a bit smile

SuperJesus Thu 20-Apr-17 21:03:08

I wish I could wash my hair less, I do it every morning otherwise the roots feel greasy and when it's tied up (every week day) it looks thin and sparse at the hairline but when freshly washed looks much fuller. Washing each morning is pain though!

AmberLin Thu 20-Apr-17 21:12:22

Superjesus, trial it. You'll notice a huge difference after a couple of weeks. Get some dry shampoo. It absorbs the grease and plumps it up. I use batiste.

Teabagtits Thu 20-Apr-17 21:16:05

I once took part in an experiment as a student (my excuse and sticking to it) where I didn't wash my hair for 8 weeks (no dry shampooing allowed either) - it didn't as rumoured self clean but after washing it was considerably less greasy between washes for a good few months and was amazing condition. The next part of experiment was to only wash weekly for 8 weeks. Prior to that I had to wash daily as it became wetlook by mid afternoon. At the end of the 16 weeks it needed washed every second or third day and I stick to that (or a hat) now.

MyschoolMyrules Thu 20-Apr-17 21:20:56

I have curly, coarse, thick hair and wash once every couple of weeks with sulphate free shampoo. In between , I co-wash, which is basically just massaging the hair with conditioner and rinse very well. It has made a huge difference to my hair and it looks much healthier than before. I would recommend to try a sulphate free shampoo as it cleanse gently but doesn't strip the hair of natural oil. It doesn't have to be an expensive shampoo I use the Body Shop sulphate free shampoo in the rainforest range.

ClemDanfango Thu 20-Apr-17 21:21:31

I've just washed mine after 3 weeks. It was rank! My head was sore and scalp a bit flakey gave it a good scrub with Vosene and it's silky soft again now, I won't go that long again for sure.

lovesxmas Thu 20-Apr-17 21:22:22

I tried this. Have very dry curly hair. Combining dry shampoo and a steely sense of determination, I made it to nearly 2 months! Revolting, I know. But it made me smile. However the minute I washed it, I realised that I'd forgotten how lovely it was when clean.

3luckystars Thu 20-Apr-17 21:29:58

I only can brush my hair after washing it (very curly) so would not be able to leave it unwashed more than a few days or I would get dreadlocks.
So I can't take part in the experiment unfortunately!

I will definitely try that body shop surface free shampoo though, thanks for the recommendation.

eddielizzard Thu 20-Apr-17 21:30:36

i have oily straight hair that i have to wash every day. i tried not washing it for 5 weeks and it was soo oily. i used a comb to comb the oil through and my hair just looked like it needed a wash for 5 weeks. was awful.

i wish i could cut back on hair washing. even every second day would be nice...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now