Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Would you do an 8 hour drive with a 6 week old?

(116 Posts)
retainertrainer Wed 19-Apr-17 08:28:16

We're considering making a trip to visit family,we'd be there 3 days plus a day either side for travel. It usually takes 6 hours but we're thinking 8 with plenty of stops. Is this utter madness?

hairymuffet Wed 19-Apr-17 08:30:23

Yesgrin

welshweasel Wed 19-Apr-17 08:32:18

Depends on the baby! I'd have done that with no issues but then my DS fed every 3-4 hours and slept in between at that age. Also loved the car. I know plenty of babies who hated being in the car seat and would scream constantly unless being held. And fed every hour. Is there a train?

SquedgieBeckenheim Wed 19-Apr-17 08:32:58

I did 4 hours with a 6 week old (1 week adjusted as she was premature) and it was fine.
Only 2 hours for stops may be ambitious though. You'll need to stop every couple of hours. Breast or formula fed? Breast fed you'll need to stop for each feed which may be more than every 2 hours!

ICJump Wed 19-Apr-17 08:33:02

Fuck that. I did a 30 plus hour flight when DS was 7 weeks old.
The return trip was fine too. The 2 drive from
Heathrow almost did me in.

Outbackshack Wed 19-Apr-17 08:33:18

I did 4 hours with a 5 week old if that helps. Stopped half way to feed and change nappy which added half an hour. hour journey could be done in 7 I imagine. We had to wake baby at stop as happily sleeping.

Rossigigi Wed 19-Apr-17 08:33:24

It's easier to do trips when tiny! Although, and don't quote me on this as I may be a little out on age, but shouldn't tiny babies only spend so much time in a car seat? So I think plenty of stops are needed. Off to google this now.......

Mysterycat23 Wed 19-Apr-17 08:37:24

We did 3h journey for Easter. Stopped once in the middle for an hour during which time he was in our arms. That felt about right. I wouldn't have been comfortable with LO in car seat for any longer than that. 11 weeks old.

Can you take public transport for at least some of the journey? Take car seat with you and ask relatives to collect you from the station?

Rossigigi Wed 19-Apr-17 08:37:55

No more than 30 mins for newborns and 2 hours after that. So doing two or three stops is a good idea. (Was beginning to think after I had posted that I had imagined this advice but I found it! Lol)

Mysterycat23 Wed 19-Apr-17 08:38:09

Meaning train of course blush

StubbleTurnips Wed 19-Apr-17 08:39:43

DS - yes, regular feeds every 3hrs and sleeps.
DD - no way. Nightmare in the car on long journeys, still is but now can be bribed with chocolate buttons and the kindle.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Wed 19-Apr-17 08:40:29

I'm assuming the birth went well. I went on a 2+ hour journey with a break when DS1 was 6 weeks, and by the end my post-CS abdomen was aching from sitting with little movement. 6 weeks after DS2, the tear was still sore for prolonged sitting and pelvic floor still unpredictable.

At 6 weeks, they'd need regular breaks for feeds so would have to be taken out of the car seat for that. The advice on new babies and time in car seats has changed quite recently. That's struck a chord with me as at 3 months DS2 did a 2x 2hr return journey with several hours of visit in the middle. That night he had breathing difficulties and we paid a trip to A&E where they resolved themselves. There could have been other factors like hayfever involved, but it was a coincidence that it fell on a day of prolonged use of a car seat which makes me more cagey about very long trips and little babies.

hellooooooomama Wed 19-Apr-17 08:42:19

Can't family come to you?

Personally I'd be worried about a little newborn curled up in the car seat all that time (even with regular breaks).

JellyWitch Wed 19-Apr-17 08:42:57

Yes but it would add several hours on to stop and feed.

TotalPineapple Wed 19-Apr-17 08:50:25

We did 4 hours (usually 3) to see family at 5 weeks. And back again the same day.

She was fine, we were shattered and I was quite sore (but I had SPD in pregnancy and had had an infection in my stitches after so I probably shouldn't have been sitting for that long)

The stop added an hour by the time we'd fed her and us and done a nappy change. I'd suggest your stops might take longer? They might not, but I'd pretty much plan to leave early and travel all day.

retainertrainer Wed 19-Apr-17 09:07:29

Thanks everyone,we'll see how we're feeling in a couple of weeks. Family could come to us but there's a lot of them,I think I'd rather get it done in one fell swoop.

LillyLollyLandy Wed 19-Apr-17 09:11:17

I can barely even bear to drive for 15 minutes with my 14 week old in the car. The screeching is unbelievable.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Wed 19-Apr-17 09:14:17

Just echoing the 30 min rule for newborns. On such a long drive that's a lot of stopping!

ThomasRichard Wed 19-Apr-17 09:15:19

I would with DS but DD hated the car seat and would scream from the moment she was put in it until we took her out. It was absolute torture to have to listen to her screaming.

OhDearToby Wed 19-Apr-17 09:17:15

6 week old dd1 - yes

6 week old dd2 - hell no. I can barely last 20 minutes of the screaming.

megletthesecond Wed 19-Apr-17 09:20:25

No. Popping to the supermarket was like climbing a mountain at that stage. Feeding, my pain and recovery, tiredness and crying were all I could juggle at that point.

Obsidian77 Wed 19-Apr-17 09:21:13

I wouldn't commit to the trip until after the birth when you see how yo're doing and how you're coping with the LO.
I know tons of people who expected to be able to go on trips, visit people etc and ended up barely leaving the house for several months.
If you need stitches and have any bladder damage that trip would be just awful for you too.
And a baby that age can't be soothed by anyone or anything other than being held, being on a busy road when your LO is screaming in distress is horrible.

ParadiseCity Wed 19-Apr-17 09:23:56

With my first, yes. With my second, hell no my ear drums would still be bleeding now (and she's in junior school)!!

flowery Wed 19-Apr-17 09:24:26

We did a trip to PIL when DS1 was about that age. Normally takes 2.5-3 hours. Took 6, because of stops, feeds taking up to an hour all in. And that was when newborn-in-car-seat guidance was 2hrs at a go.

So no, not a chance would I do what you're considering!

malin100 Wed 19-Apr-17 09:39:14

I did exactly that at 10 weeks. It was surprisingly easy. She slept most of the time and we just stopped at the services every 2 hours to feed and change and get some fresh air. One adult driving, one in the back "just in case". Both journeys there and back were easy! And I think she stayed up a little later than usual but still slept well at night, so it was like extra bonus sleep time instead of being stolen from night time sleep time! smile Just stop often enough that they don't get too hungry and you can't go far wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now