Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

So Theresa May is not going to take part in televised debates...

(142 Posts)
Theworldisfullofidiots Wed 19-Apr-17 08:10:18

Is this because she knows she won't stand up to scrutiny?

Bigbiscuits Wed 19-Apr-17 08:12:33

I think a debate would just be embarrassing for Corbyn. He is probably relieved.

AgentProvocateur Wed 19-Apr-17 08:13:42

No, it's because she can do and say whatever the fuck she wants as there's no credible opposition.

AuntieStella Wed 19-Apr-17 08:16:11

I doubt it, she has performed very well in speeches so far.

I'm seriously not fussed about these debates - yes, people will want to know what a particular party stands for.

But we're not the USA, we're not electing a president, people will be voting for their MP, not their PM, and I'm not sure that mimicking a presidential contest should matter that much.

But I bet Corbyn is hugely relieved. He really wouldn't come across well.

No idea If that UKIP bloke or Fallonwould do well or badly - perhaps they are the Ines that need exposure

(That covers the parties with the largest share of the vote last time, in descending order)

Theworldisfullofidiots Wed 19-Apr-17 08:17:27

I agree Agent. Can't work out whose worse, Corbyn or May.
If they were in a proper job they'd have been on an improvement plan.

ShatnersWig Wed 19-Apr-17 08:17:58

No law says she has to. They didn't even exist until 2010 election. Didn't Cameron do something similar, say no at first but then said he would?

Why do you need to see her in a debate, OP? Unless you live in her constituency, you should be voting for someone in your own constituency. TM, JC, TF will be on TV plenty.

Theworldisfullofidiots Wed 19-Apr-17 08:25:30

Because I would like to see some scrutiny of the Conservative policies and their defence of election fraud that they have side stepped as a result of this snap election.
It is also naive to think that people vote for an individual MP in a general election rather than the party. If that was the case my MP would never get elected.

KittyOShea Wed 19-Apr-17 08:26:36

She wants to avoid being questioned on the details of the government's Brexit plan.

This could be because
- she knows the truth would cause panic
- she doesn't want the hardliners to realise she is actually going to soften the Brexit plans (hope this is true- suggested by another later yesterday)
- she doesn't want to seem to make promises that the EU won't let her keep

Also she wants to avoid questions on the shambles that is current government policy- equality for all apart from the disabled
Improving schools for the top 10% only and a robust NHS which we plan to privatise

RancidOldHag Wed 19-Apr-17 08:27:21

She's saying 'no' ?

Must be because she wants Labour to have a fair chance grin

RandomDent Wed 19-Apr-17 08:27:57

TV debates brought us Nick Clegg.

AuntieStella Wed 19-Apr-17 08:31:37

My ballot is cast for my local MP.

If you haven't actually realised that your ballot paper lists your choices for your consitutnecy, not options for PM, that is way beyond naive.

And I think it is always risky to assume that you know how/why others vote. Something you mit find inexplicable could seem perfectly sensible from another's viewpoint. At both constituency level plus in terms of what the sum of constituencies return to Parliament.

onelove1234 Wed 19-Apr-17 08:34:02

I'd be surprised if every other leader said yes that she could let debates go ahead without her present... Cameron tried not to as well but an empty chair is seriously bad PR. That's what broadcasters will attempt sign everyone else up.

ShatnersWig Wed 19-Apr-17 08:35:37

Theworld You will see LOADS of TM over the next 8 weeks. LOADS. May not be a debate but you will have plenty of chance to see her being questioned. I assume by "election fraud" you mean over election expenses in 2015? You do know 12 Labour MPs are among the group as well?

80sMum Wed 19-Apr-17 08:48:53

She wants to avoid being questioned on the details of the government's Brexit plan.

^I agree. Mrs May has called this election now because currently Labour is in disarray and she is confident that a significant number of labour voters will turn tail and vote Conservative in order to protect Brexit (which they may still, delusionally, believe will personally benefit them). She will also scoop up all the UKIP voters.

The only credible opposition is the LibDems and Mrs May is banking on them not winning many seats because of the first-past-the-post system.

So, clearly the plan is to secure a larger majority and give Mrs M and her government carte blanche to do whatever the hell they want, with no one to oppose them.

Democracy in this country is in serious trouble right now. That is a very disturbing thing. What's even more disturbing is that so many people can't seem to see what's happening or don't seem to care about it.

Unless there is a huge surge of support for the LibDems, we stand to be stuck with a virtual dictatorship until June 2022. Mrs M has opted out of TV debate because she's supremely confident of her position now and post-election day and doesn't want to be challenged in a live debate by anyone asking questions she hasn't prepared for.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Wed 19-Apr-17 08:53:03

Given that we aren't voting for a president that makes perfect sense.

Plus Corbyn doesn't come across well in interviews so watching him fumble his way through his standard sound bites would be excruciating and go towards losing the few people who are still giving him the benefit of the doubt.

May is a decent public speaker and she really has nothing to fear from a debate

Theworldisfullofidiots Wed 19-Apr-17 09:22:15

BTW I'm not a labour voter - more floating really....and I have voted Tory in the past.
So if nothing to fear why avoid?

Alfieisnoisy Wed 19-Apr-17 09:23:30

She doesn't need to. Let's all be honest here, the Conservatives are going to win no matter what they do or don't do because people are too selfish to think of the most vulnerable in society who have been shafted. It really is a case of "pull the ladder up and sod the rest".

Motheroffourdragons Wed 19-Apr-17 09:30:59

I hope they go ahead with debates without her then. I think not agreeing to televised debates is silly of her. I can't understand what she is afraid of.
I know we are not voting for presidents here, but it is a useful tool for voters to have the leaders put on the spot about their policies.

I don't think the tory party will gain many votes from people who just can't vote Labour because of Corbyn atm. The problem is that the leftish vote will split meaning there really is no opposition and that is what I find alarming, in addition to Corbyn's complete lack of understanding of the role he has had in the mess the labour party has become.

Fontella Wed 19-Apr-17 09:38:17

I hope they go ahead with debates without her then. I think not agreeing to televised debates is silly of her. I can't understand what she is afraid of.

She's not 'afraid' of anything. Have you seen her in the House of Commons? She is more than capable of holding her own in any 'debate'.

Personally I'm glad there won't be any of these ridiculous televised debates. If people's votes actually come down to how someone performs on TV in a staged event then God help us. Some of the worst politicians are incredibly slick and impressive at that sort of thing but it's got no more real depth to it than an acting performance,

If the rest want to 'debate' amongst themselves that's up to them, but I don't think it will do Mrs May any harm at all by not appearing. On the contrary.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Wed 19-Apr-17 09:41:05

I think being 'put on the spot' is a little exaggeration - it's all excerpts from policies and sound bites.

I am actually laughing at the idea of her being afraid to debate

noblegiraffe Wed 19-Apr-17 09:44:44

I think she sees the General Election as a formality to give her more power rather than anything she actually needs to fight.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Wed 19-Apr-17 09:45:38

And if she loses then the next few years become someone else's problem

DrinkMilkAndKickAss Wed 19-Apr-17 09:45:58

Given the practical impossibility of broadcasting 650 constituency debates I think national ones between party leaders are necessary to truly find out a party's stance on things. Even more so with Brexit - not just what they want out of the deal but also what their plans are for post-Brexit Britain. although I suppose 'Brexit means Brexit' becomes a poorer answer to a question when there are people there to answer back...

Motheroffourdragons Wed 19-Apr-17 09:46:08

Is it that she is afraid of debating or afraid to say exactly what she is going to do with Brexit ? Or is she afraid of people knowing she actually doesn't have a clue about Brexit ? It could be anything really.

DixieNormas Wed 19-Apr-17 09:47:02

Im glad she isn't, I cant stand to watch her. I think I managed less than 60 seconds yesterday. I don't think she comes across any better than JC

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now