Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Vaginal mesh implants - NHS being sued

(71 Posts)
MistyMinge Tue 18-Apr-17 21:24:31

I've just read this article on BBC news. Aware of vaginal reconstructive surgery, but I hadn't heard of these implants before now. It sounds truly horrific. Poor, poor women. I wonder how many more are suffering in silence?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39567240

MistyMinge Tue 18-Apr-17 21:24:55

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39567240

edwinbear Tue 18-Apr-17 21:41:57

I had a prolapse repair in 2013. My surgeon told me he refused to use mesh as he was concerned about the long term effects, preferring to do things the 'old fashioned' way. I'm so relieved he felt that way.

picklemepopcorn Tue 18-Apr-17 21:47:56

I was afraid they would use mesh for mine, but when I asked about it the surgeon had never intended to.

MistyMinge Tue 18-Apr-17 21:48:14

It seems like products have been licensed way too easily. It's a product that's going in a woman's vagina ffs! Waitrose probably have tighter controls over their fruit and veg supplies.

I just hope that it's treated seriously. The use of the product should at least be suspended for now.

inaclearingstandsaboxer Tue 18-Apr-17 21:53:05

I had this op three years ago,.... I wasn't warned about the cheese wire effect .

It's working fine at the moment with no problems - fingers crossed....

flibberdy Tue 18-Apr-17 22:07:22

Jeez. Something tells me if it was men with the vaginas that mesh would never have been approved!!

Brahumbug Wed 19-Apr-17 06:08:11

Flibberdy, what an utterly ridiculous thing to say hmmand completely irrelevant to the suffering of those poor womenshock

user1491572121 Wed 19-Apr-17 06:14:24

Brah why are you attacking Flibberdy for pointing out the sexism that is RIFE in medical research for women's health? hmm Did you understand her post in the first place?

It is NOT irrelevant!

droitwichmummy Wed 19-Apr-17 06:27:48

I was offered this instead of a hysterectomy and didn't like the idea. Thank goodness I went with my instinct

Fauxgina Wed 19-Apr-17 06:45:04

Fibberdy is right. I've had numerous embarrassing complications since childbirth and I know damn well that a man wouldn't be expected to put up with the same shit treatment.

As a small example the current method to rely mainly on instrumental delivery during difficulties during labour (as opposed to EMCS at first signs of trouble).

Do I think that if men gave birth they'd just rip muscle and cut through penis' causing incontinence, impotence, organ prolapse as a matter of course?

No I don't think so.

They've implemented vaginal meshes too soon without fully appreciating women's bodies because they're supposed to be ravaged by childbirth so it's ok to do a half assed job in improving it.

velmadinkly Wed 19-Apr-17 08:51:01

I also got offered mesh to repair/strengthen my damaged pelvic floor. I too wasn't told of the problems being highlighted at the moment, only that they are only intended to last for 10 years and another could be fitted on top of the original, but it probably wouldn't be as effective and the worst case scenariomwas that it didn't work as intended and the incontinence coukd still be there or worse, this was about 3 years ago. I decided against it due to my age.

I wasn't offered any other type of repair or told of another method. It is scandalous that it is still routinely offered, which I can see why, because when I had my consultation the doctor said it takes about 20 minutes to fit, so it is cost effecrive from an NHS point of view.

I'm currently considering having a private consultation and possible op where they do the stitch reconstruction, but I don't know where to start with finding a suitable doctor/surgeon.

grannytomine Wed 19-Apr-17 11:11:43

Fauxgina, things must have changed since my youngest was born, 20 years ago. They wanted to do EMCS but I had already had one and was prepared to do anything to avoid it so I had an instrumental delivery. It was very painful for a few days and my bruising was legendary and in the end I told student midwives/doctors that I was going to start charging if people didn't stop coming and asking if they could have a look at my bruising, to be honest it was so extreme they probably would have paid. Twenty years on I have never had incontinence, impotence, organ prolapse or any other problems. The scar from my EMCS was eventually repaired as it was such a mess and caused me such problems.

I don't know anything about this product but just wanted to add the above for balance.

Girlwhowearsglasses Wed 19-Apr-17 11:21:40

Yes but @grannytomine that's one person's anecdotal evidence. That's not a statistic on how many women having instrumental deliveries end up with long term effects. Just because you are very lucky and suffered nothing doesn't mean others don't. That's like saying you smoke and haven't had lung disease - it's the probability that matters not the fact that it doesn't effect everyone.

I think I'm future we will come to see EMCS as a balanced risk compared to really aggressive instrumental delivery - thigh of course sometime one or the other is unavoidable

DJBaggySmalls Wed 19-Apr-17 11:26:43

How would someone with a mesh implant give birth afterwards?

MrsMoastyToasty Wed 19-Apr-17 11:28:02

I'm wondering if it's the same type of mesh used in hernia repairs. I had surgery in 2014 and although not painful I am aware that there is something there ....

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Wed 19-Apr-17 15:08:06

There are different types of mesh and different types of repair. I was worried about this when I had a repair 5 years ago and the surgeon assured me his team only used it as a last resort and definitely not on a routine basis. It appears that the approach taken varies greatly from consultant to consultant.

grannytomine Wed 19-Apr-17 18:36:40

Girlwhowearsglasses, as I said I was saying it for balance. Fauxgina's post could have frightened someone who has just had an instrumental delivery into thinking all those things are inevitable. My sister had an instrumental delivery and one of my DsIL had one, neither have those problems so it really isn't just me. Sections aren't without drawbacks either.

seafoodeatit Wed 19-Apr-17 22:23:39

Reading about it on the bbc page it sounded horrific, I don't know how anything with the potential problems of the mesh ever got the go ahead. It's even worse that the companies knew about problems, I hope they sued massively.

SlothMama Wed 19-Apr-17 22:27:47

The companies deserve to be sued massively

olliegarchy99 Thu 20-Apr-17 10:07:05

my sister had one of these for her prolapse and she had recurring infections which were difficult to clear up. On her advice I have gone down the tena lady/pelvic floor exercises and just getting on with the fact that old age means lots of inconveniences.
I have had a hysterectomy 6 years ago which no doubt causes some of the 'wee' problems which these mesh implants were supposed to prevent. hmm

olliegarchy99 Thu 20-Apr-17 10:16:57

the news is referring to the problems with vaginal mesh which I am assuming is similar to the bladder sling (which in theory is useful in preventing the leakage) which sounds simple provided there are no adverse reactions.

TalkingintheDark Thu 20-Apr-17 15:34:11

If this has been known about for long enough for thousands of women to have successfully sued in the USA, WTF is going on that these are still being used here? And not one product has even been recalled yet?

Waitrose probably have tighter controls over their fruit and veg supplies yy to this.

It says one in 11 women who have these meshes experience problems. That's nearly 10%. How can that possibly be deemed a reasonable level of risk? Bloody hell.

Kathsansom Fri 21-Apr-17 05:25:02

I am the journalist who runs Sling The Mesh and was on the Victoria Derbyshire show talking about the horrendous risks of these mesh implants. The comment about Waitrose having better quality control of their fruit and veg is not far off the mark. Medicines must pass 3 sets of trials before they are given to patients. Makers of medical devices like mesh implants, hip replacements or breast implants only have to prove their product is "substantially equivalent" to something already on the market and bam - they get approval. No proper trials or anything. It is shameful. It is how the PIP breast implant scandal using mattress grade silicone instead of surgical grade managed to happen. If any of you suffer - 1 in 3 mums do after having children - then please do not go for this day case surgery. It is so popular on the NHS for money saving reasons. It takes 20 minutes and you're home by tea time. The two old fashioned fixes take up to 3 hours and up to 4 nights in a hospital bed. Do the maths. If you would like to look for natural fixes then please look at this page on FB I set up with lots of ideas and gadgets that can help restore your pelvic floor. You can get free pelvic floor physio on the NHS if you go to your GP and ask. In France 20 sessions are offered as standard after childbirth. I shall add a link to my website or find me on Sling The Mesh Campaign on Twitter or FB if you want more info. Thanks all and be healthy x www.facebook.com/Sling-The-Mesh-Natural-Solutions-for-lifes-leaks-pelvic-organ-prolapse-146944465706889/
slingthemesh.wordpress.com/

Kathsansom Fri 21-Apr-17 05:31:17

Oh and yes - it is the same material used for hernia repairs. And I agree whole heartedly with the comment that if this was men suffering these horrendous complications this product would have been pulled off the market a long time ago. Oh, Sir, you might be in hideous lifelong pain and you might lose your sex life, is that OK? Exits in cloud of dust. I reckon AT LEAST half the women in my campaign have lost their sex life - this is absolutely shocking. Medical maiming because it is a money saving, quick fix, dressed up in slick PR

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now