Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Charlie Gard court ruling

(225 Posts)
dontbesillyhenry Tue 11-Apr-17 14:32:31

Judge has ruled doctors can withdraw his life support
Heartbreaking his poor parents

nobullshitallowed Tue 11-Apr-17 14:39:53

This is so sad. Can't imagine what his parents are going through sad

scaredofthecity Tue 11-Apr-17 14:47:19

It is obviously a terrible situation but I do feel it should never have got this far.
He has a condition that is unfortunately is incurable and terminal. His poor parents have been given false hope from somewhere and that is unfair on everybody involved. I don't think it came from the hospital but maybe from the US from somebody more interested in money and furthering their research rather than the people they are hurting.
I do think there should be done kind of regulation or guidance because this is not the first story I've heard and I'm sure it won't be the last.

dontbesillyhenry Tue 11-Apr-17 14:53:53

I have nursed children who's parents have been told they won't survive will have no quality of life or won't for instance live past age two. Doctors have not been right in these cases.
The issue here is there is something parents can try. They have raised the money and are being denied the right to try. That's heartbreaking

Doublevodkaredbull Tue 11-Apr-17 14:54:49

It's an awful situation and I feel for his poor parents. However like PP I think somebody has taken advantage of their position and given them false hope.

Barrytheunicorn Tue 11-Apr-17 15:01:48

I was so upset to read this just now, I can't imagine what the parents are going through right now, it's awful, they've both been so dignified throughout all of this.
I'm so gutted they didn't get the chance to at least try the new therapy they could have at least had the peace of knowing they'd tried everything possible to save him.

I feel for the judge too it's an awful decision to have to make and one that will no doubt haunt him forever even if he believes it to be the right one.

Just terrible all round, poor baby

AliceKlar Tue 11-Apr-17 15:08:07

Just horrible. I do get the feeling that the treatment he was being offered in the US was available here but that it wasnt used because it wasn't thought to be appropriate in Charlie's case. It does sound like his parents had been given false hope by the US doctor and that even he started to doubt his treatment would be successful after the last brain scan.

Charlie's parents said they didn't believe he was in pain, the doctors thought he was and I think it is possible to medically ascertain if pain is involved. Maybe the poor chap isn't able to show the outward signs of pain that have led his parents to the conclusion he isn't suffering.

I can't imagine the desolation or sheer heartbreak these poor people are feeling today.

Floralnomad Tue 11-Apr-17 15:10:05

Very sad , but the independent appointed guardian of his interests also agreed with GOSH that he should be allowed to die with dignity .

Awwlookatmybabyspider Tue 11-Apr-17 15:11:56

There are no words to describe how his poor parents and family must be feeling.

Spottytop1 Tue 11-Apr-17 15:14:02

Having had experience with a very unprofessional and wrong appointed guardian I would not trust their opinion.
Having also had experienced with Dr telling me my daughter would never walk, talk or have any quality of life due to her disability ( again they were wrong). I would not trust either and feel the parents should be allowed to try the trial treatment if it is available-

scaredofthecity Tue 11-Apr-17 15:14:56

I understand that dontbesilly but this is different, he has a mitochondrial disease, this is about as serious as it gets. His body is unable to do the most basic things. He is on a ventilator and the nurses have said there it's very little difference between him being awake and asleep.
The treatment in the US is experimental at best, the experts have said it is doubtful it would work. To get him there whilst he's ventilated is very difficult indeed.
Hope is not usually a bad thing, and kids are amazingly resilient but this poor boy is just not going to get better.

NotYoda Tue 11-Apr-17 15:16:15

I feel so sorry for the parents. I can understand wanting to try everything, but I don't think it is always in the best interests of the child, as the guardian ad litem and doctors agreed.

NotYoda Tue 11-Apr-17 15:17:22

Spotty

I understand. God knows how I would feel.

ListenToYourHeart Tue 11-Apr-17 15:20:51

It's utterly heartbreaking.

I don't have a opinion on whether the judge has made a wrong or right decision but it most be awful news for the parents, as a parent you'd want to try anything if there was a glimmer of hope.

Life can be so cruel sad

x2boys Tue 11-Apr-17 15:28:42

its tragic for everyone, i have a child with significant disabillities but fortunatly hes healthy i cant bear to imagine the pain these parents must be suffering.

saracrewe2 Tue 11-Apr-17 15:30:02

Whilst I think there is very little that can be done for him (the dr in US who was going to treat him said so himself) I feel utterly devastated for his parents. They had a lifeline and now it has been taken away. They will lose their son and always have the "what ifs" surrounding his death. I know someone who was in a similar situation (ethics committee life support had to be withdrawn) and the death of her child was made so much more painful but the inkling of hope that they believed might have helped him that he was never allowed. In the end days there was a lot of animosity shown towards them from the medical staff to the extent that they would only speak to them on a needs be basis. They have so much pain surrounding their child's death not only for his loss, but the anger/disappointment/resentment that they feel towards the "expert" who deemed him incompatible with life.

ChampagneTastes Tue 11-Apr-17 15:32:14

I feel incredibly sad for everyone involved - including the doctors and nurses who are caring for the little boy - but I do think this sounds like the right decision for Charlie. Horrible for the parents; I hope they are able to find some peace after this.

FastMakoShark Tue 11-Apr-17 15:33:45

This is just the saddest case. Charlie's best interests must come first but you have to feel for the parents

alltouchedout Tue 11-Apr-17 15:34:12

I think this is the right decision but if I were his parents I imagine I'd have fought down to the wire too. Poor little boy, poor mum and dadsad

FishInAWetSuitAndFlippers Tue 11-Apr-17 15:34:18

I'm not going to comment on the court case at all.

All I know is that there is one very poorly little boy and two devastated parents who are about to embark on the hardest journey they have ever taken, one that lasts a lifetime and is riddled with guilt and sadness and blame.

Absolutely heart breaking all round sad

FastMakoShark Tue 11-Apr-17 15:36:34

Words fail me on how sad it is about Charlie Gard, no one wants a child to suffer but also wanted better outcome for his parents

specialsubject Tue 11-Apr-17 15:37:33

desperately sad.

the judgement says that the American doctors would offer the treatment, but they think it very unlikely that it would help and it certainly won't reverse the brain damage. The parents have bravely (says the judge, and who could not agree) accepted that Charlie cannot continue with his current quality of life, and he is believed to be in pain.

sometimes there is no hope, and that is the hardest thing ever to accept.

safe journey.

UndersecretaryofWhimsy Tue 11-Apr-17 15:43:45

I have nursed children who's parents have been told they won't survive will have no quality of life or won't for instance live past age two. Doctors have not been right in these cases.

With respect dontbesilly I think this is a different situation. Charlie has irreversible brain damage. He can neither move nor breathe for himself. There is no realistic prospect of that changing. He is dying, and he may be dying in pain.

I feel awful for his parents and I would almost certainly do what they are doing. But I think the judge probably made the right decision for Charlie.

dontbesillyhenry Tue 11-Apr-17 15:46:47

His condition is very rare though so not like there is much in the way of research to go on. Just like many illnesses years back were deemed incurable until trials and experimental research had been undertaken.

NorthernLurker Tue 11-Apr-17 15:48:34

I think the judge is right.

Poor, poor parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now