Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Back to work - breastfeeding

(16 Posts)
primaryboodle Mon 20-Mar-17 18:54:53

Hi. Dd is a bottle refusing ebf baby but will now drink from a sippy cup (bits of water at meal times). I go back to work 3 full days per week when she will be 9.5 months. Could someone help me work out how many milk feeds she will need? Shes just starting to get into solids now (8.5 months) and breastfeeds 3-5 times between my "working" hours but some of this is comfort/easy way to nap so not sure how many 'bottles' a ff baby would have in this time? Will be between 7.30-4.30. Please give me your wisdom!! Thanks

primaryboodle Mon 20-Mar-17 18:55:55

Also i do one half day a week at the moment 8-12.30 and she wont have any milk at all then, and will probably feed twice between my return and 5pm

primaryboodle Thu 23-Mar-17 09:32:48

Hopeful bump!

Offler Thu 23-Mar-17 09:59:07

Sorry I can't help on the number of bottles, mine went to nursery at 10 months and 1 year and didn't have any milk (except what was on breakfast if they had it and yoghurt etc for lunch). I fed them before they went and when we got home and bedtime etc (several times a night for DS 😫). But they were both good eaters at nursery, so were OK without milk. You might find when she is there she will eat more solids as you are not around to be 'on tap' as it were...

CelticPromise Thu 23-Mar-17 10:01:58

She might well be fine without milk when you are not around. She might increase feeds in evenings /at night for a while - Google reverse cycling.

BendingSpoons Thu 23-Mar-17 10:08:53

I went back when DD was 8.5 months. She ate pretty well but didn't really drink much (water or milk). I was told at that age they need 2-3 feeds/bottles per 24 hours. I fed DD morning, evening (sometimes twice) and twice in the night so she was getting plenty of milk. In the day she had food and we made sure she had lots of wet foods e.g. grapes, cucumber and Weetabix with milk. If your DD is starting to get into solids, then hopefully by the time you go back she will be eating more so less reliance on milk. We also found an open doidy (slanted) cup good. She figured out how to drink from that quicker.

Hullabaloo31 Thu 23-Mar-17 10:10:23

Mine both did the above too but were a month older than yours. They fed before and after nursery and just had cups of cows milk there (I wasn't fussed about waiting until a year) and then BF as normal on their days with me. I worked 3 x long days too but they were fine, and just ate more food at nursery. They also both ended up sleeping at comletely different times to at home too!
I think they're so busy at nursery they don't bother half as much.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 23-Mar-17 10:13:59

By thst age I wouldn't worry at all, they only need something like 17oz of milk a day by then and thst Dan be made of of cheese, yoghurt etc too.

I'd just breastfeed first thing and before bed and give plenty of dairy in her diet.

primaryboodle Thu 23-Mar-17 10:24:06

Thanks guys im feeling less panicked! Can i ask how long your days were? Also to the poster who gave cows milk - shes fine with dairy (on cereal/yoghurts etc) so i was thinking of just teling childminder to gove her cows milk if shes hungry? Do you need to add water to it to dilute? Arghhh this is where breastfeeding gets tricky! Wish i could take a full year off sad

AntiHop Thu 23-Mar-17 10:30:26

I went back to work full time but compressed hours at 9 months. So I was away from her 12 hours a day, 4 days a week. I allowed her to continue to feed on demand on the 3 days I was with her. I sent expressed milk and formula to nursery. I really can't remember now how much. I stopped expressing at 12 months. She was a cows milk refuser at first so I sent in formula until she accepted cows milk.
Around 14 months, she stopped asking for breast feeds during the day. Aged 2, we're continuing to breast feed at bedtime, during the night and when waking up.

BendingSpoons Thu 23-Mar-17 13:00:21

I was out 8-6. The first day or two she was a bit cranky about 4pm and tried to feed on her dad but was distracted. She then got used to it.

The thing with milk is they need nutrients from the breast milk or formula. As long as they are having enough of that, it is fine for them to drink cows milk at other times. As I said before I think 2/3 feeds is enough.

FitzChivalry Thu 23-Mar-17 13:25:56

Mine went to nursery at 9 months and I was on 3x 12 hour days, and she was like previous posters, in that she would bf before work and after and during the night. I sent some formula in, but she wasn't bothered, she just had water in a sippy cup at nursery and with dad.

Rinceoir Thu 23-Mar-17 13:32:50

I went back to work when DD was 10 months, bottle refusing and not eating anything. Was still feeding 7-8 times in 24hours. She would drink water from soppy cup. Went back full time with occasional long days/night shifts.

To say I was worried is an understatement! But she was fine. She started eating a little and fed when we were together. Still refused ebm/formula/any sort of dairy but we managed.

Choccyhobnob Thu 23-Mar-17 13:57:05

My DS went to nursery at 9 months from 7.30am-6pm, twice a week, the other 2 days he was with my mil 7am-6.30pm. He wouldn't take a bottle and one of the questions on the nursery form was "when is he due his bottles?" and I had no idea as he just fed on demand. I used to send about 12oz expressed milk and formula in with him (I could only express about 5 oz a day) and told them to offer it when he made the noise he makes! lol it worked out fine, some days he'd only drink 4 or 5 oz but made up for it at home x

Hullabaloo31 Thu 23-Mar-17 14:24:37

Mine were at nursery 8-5:30ish.

They both had cows milk with cereal and porridge already so I just gave them a cup of full fat milk and they drank it, no watering down or anything. They'd not had any formula before so I decided for the sake of 6 weeks or so until they were 1 it wasn't worth it. I was still main source of milk for the rest of the time. Both of mine carried on this way until about 18 months when they lost interest in BF and stopped.

Canyouseethis Thu 23-Mar-17 14:30:48

I went back when DC2 was a year (3 days per week) and we are still feeding now - she is 2.2yo.

I have never expressed she wouldn't take it but obviously she was old enough for cows milk when I went back!

I always feed morning and as soon as I get home, its never interfered with my supply.

As I say mine was a bit older though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now