Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

10 portions a day of fruit+veg Challenge: 1-31 March 2017

(571 Posts)
lljkk Tue 28-Feb-17 16:18:18

Anyone who fancies giving it a try is welcome.
Every day is a fresh start. Let's encourage each other.

*RULES:
1. One portion = about 80g/3.5 oz or a fistful of most things.
2. To get full day's credit, must be at least 5 different types of fruit+veg, and at least 10 portions (so yes could be double portions of each of the 5).
3. Seeds, Nuts & potatoes don't count.
4. Participants can declare for themselves how many portions they get out of a smoothie, mixed salad, soup, pate, etc.

lljkk Tue 28-Feb-17 16:18:58

*I tried to keep the Rules simple & easy.

Would be good for folk to report all daily intake sometimes (not just F+V intake), just to show how our what we eat can all fit together to reach 10 or close.

Importantnotice Tue 28-Feb-17 16:24:23

Good challenge!

I can't measure/weight so go according to what I think is a portion.
So far today I have eaten ( only fruits and vegs );

1 apple
1 kiwi
1 plum
1 pear
Green beans
onions
tomatoes
spinach
mushroom
baby sweetcorn
courgette

tonight with dinner I will have
kale
cauliflower
and a few other vegetables, don't know yet!

I normally have some grapes/pineapple/mango/coconut pieces as well

DesperatelySeeking2016 Tue 28-Feb-17 16:25:27

I'm in. I am giving up refined sugar for lent so this will help keep me focused!

UnicornsShitRainbows Tue 28-Feb-17 16:26:14

good grief. 10??? i dont even eat 10 portions of food a day, let alone fruit and veg.

peaceout Tue 28-Feb-17 17:18:20

here's mine
apple
kiwi
mushrooms
cauliflower
bell peppers
onion
carrot
white cabbage (fermented)
lentils*

* I think you've done a great job of keeping the rules straightforward lljkk but I've heard that legumes count, although only towards one portion no matter how much you eat..what say you?

BeMorePanda Tue 28-Feb-17 17:29:31

Nice one @lljkk.

Today: avocado, lettuce, rocket, tomatoes, lentils, kale, masses of parsley, orange, which is 8.

I need to find another 2 - limited to how much fruit I can eat.

HappyFlappy Tue 28-Feb-17 18:49:59

I'm starting tomorrow as it's the first of the month and the grapes had gone mouldy when I went for them today

But I have had a stir-fry with heroic quantities of peppers, onions and mushrooms.

yumyumpoppycat Tue 28-Feb-17 19:28:46

Hello thanks for starting the thread lljkk

I need this challenge I am not the sort of person who misses veg - I have known people like this shock

I wasn't trying for this today so had none at breakfast lunch etc. Dinner rescued the situation a bit and I had avocado, kale, broccoli, carrots, kidney beans, mixed with half a pack of Tesco chorizo roasted peppers and potatoes and a few sprigs of parsley and lemon juice at dinner time - maybe 4 portions in that weight wise.

I am doing 5:2 so realistically its not gonna happen 2 days a week but by some fluke I had 8 or 9 portions yesterday on 560 cals.

Desperately I am going choc free from tomorrow till easter (in theory).

LegoCaltrops Tue 28-Feb-17 19:34:51

Good idea for a thread. I'm going to struggle but I'll try (suppressed appetite due to migraine medication). So far today:
Banana, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries. Having stew for dinner with carrots, onions, parsnips, pearl barley in. Estimate about 6 portions, but didn't have lunch (would usually be salad). I usually eat a lot less fruit - it's pancake day! grin

Tanaqui Tue 28-Feb-17 19:38:04

I am going to try and get a few more than usual in! Today:
Apple
Banana
Green beans
Roasted peppers
Tomatoes
Cucumber (but probably not a whole portion!)
Onions with more peppers

That's probably quite good for me as they were almost all good size portions!

lljkk Tue 28-Feb-17 19:39:09

Ah nuts (unintentional pun), @peaceout made a good point.

Okay, all beans & legumes also count towards one of the 5 different & <= 60% of the 10 total... Legumes includes peanuts but not tree nuts. If someone chooses to binge on beans to get 5-6 of their 10, that's their prerogative no doubt to be rewarded by lifting the duvet all night. grin

I didn't get 10 today even though I feel like I ate little that wasn't F+V. This is gonna be tough (we need a "wibble" emoticon).

peaceout Tue 28-Feb-17 21:21:21

Here's a link to the study which prompted the thread

academic.oup.com/ije/article/doi/10.1093/ije/dyw319/3039477/Fruit-and-vegetable-intake-and-the-risk-of

from the link:
Key Messages
Although a high fruit and vegetable intake has been recommended for prevention of cardiovascular disease and some cancers, questions remain with regard to the amounts and types of fruits and vegetables that are most strongly associated with a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease, total cancer or all-cause mortality and with regard to the burden of disease and mortality that may be attributed to a low fruit and vegetable intake.

In this meta-analysis of 95 studies (142 publications), reductions in risk of cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality were observed up to an intake of 800 g/day of fruit and vegetables combined, whereas for total cancer no further reductions in risk were observed above 600 g/day.

Inverse associations were observed between intake of apples/pears, citrus fruits, green leafy vegetables/salads and cruciferous vegetables and cardiovascular disease and mortality, and between green-yellow vegetables and cruciferous vegetables and total cancer risk.

An estimated 5.6 and 7.8 million premature deaths worldwide in 2013 may be attributable to a fruit and vegetable intake below 500 and 800 g/day, respectively, if the observed associations are causal.

LittleOyster Tue 28-Feb-17 22:33:08

I'm in... Am currently barely eating two portions a day, so this'll be tough...

Bibs2014 Tue 28-Feb-17 22:34:42

I'm in!

bluechameleon Tue 28-Feb-17 22:41:48

I am tentatively in!

olderthanyouthink Tue 28-Feb-17 22:47:53

Um... maybe.
I had 3 portions for dinner and I doubt the pasta bake I had at lunch counted as one.

OhtoblazeswithElvira Tue 28-Feb-17 22:57:43

Why don't seed, nuts and potatoes count?
<groan>

BakeOffBiscuits Tue 28-Feb-17 23:06:02

I'm in, I've actually beening trying to do this fir the past few days. I'm. It being too struck with the portion size at the moment, I just want to get the variety of 8-10 a day to start with. Today I had ..

Nuts and seeds im counting them grin
Banana
Asparagus
Kiwi
Broccoli
Onion
Tomato

That's only 7 so will hopefully do more tomoz.

BakeOffBiscuits Tue 28-Feb-17 23:06:37

*not being too strict

BakeOffBiscuits Tue 28-Feb-17 23:07:34

Please excuse all the typos!

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Tue 28-Feb-17 23:16:48

Oo can I try too?

Today I had
Avocado
Tomato
Plum
Orange
Apple
Melon

This is good. I have two melons that desperately need eating up (I bought one for a change and my visiting MIL kindly bought us one, randomly)

Got some blueberries and strawberries that can go too, plus some grapes.
Also MIL bought us some avocadoes. grin

Am I right that tinned f+v count too? In fact spaghetti hoops have got '1 of your 5 a day' on their tin!

peaceout Wed 01-Mar-17 00:20:56

Why don't seed, nuts and potatoes count?
I think they sort of do, in as much as whole unprocessed foods of vegetable origin are very beneficial.
However, because they are very calorie dense (compared to say tomatoes and broccoli) you couldnt really eat enough of them to get the same benefit that you'd get from 800g of brocoli/carrot/onion etc.

My understanding is that the soluble fibre in vegetable foods is a key factor ...the effect on the gut microbiome too

peaceout Wed 01-Mar-17 00:31:56

or to put it another way, it's very beneficial to eat a large volume of low calorie, high fibre, micronutrient dense, whole vegetable food.

Nuts, seeds and potatoes dont fulfill all the criteria

mind you there's no way I'm giving up almond butter, tahini or roast potatoesgrin

grannycake Wed 01-Mar-17 05:56:05

I'm in Yesterday was a fasting day so not too good. Cucymber and tomatoes with chicken at lunchtime 2 satsumas as a snack. Blueberries and banana with greek yoghurt in evening. So just 5. will try and do better today

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now