Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

10 a day now!!

(316 Posts)
Snugglepalace Thu 23-Feb-17 08:09:48

They are now saying, (according to today's news) we should be getting 10 a day not the previously recommended 5.
Crickey, I struggle with the 5 with my 2 dc and as an Ibs sufferer, I have to be careful how much I pack in.
Mind you, Dh will be OK he's gets in around 7 pieces of fruit alone.
How much fruit and veg do you and your family get in per day?

AndShesGone Thu 23-Feb-17 08:25:22

Ten a day is probably more items of food than I eat.

I only eat veg/fruit at home for dinner and after dinner, probably eat 5 portions. I wouldn't be able to eat it any other time.

GrumpyMcGrumpFace Thu 23-Feb-17 08:29:32

I wondered if someone would have started a thread!

I wondered if upping the portion size of the fruit and veg you eat already would work? I think I'd struggle getting 10 different things into the family, but maybe increasing the eg veg to meat/carb proportions on the plate is more of an attainable target.

Soubriquet Thu 23-Feb-17 08:30:11

I don't even eat 5

I ain't eating 10

MrsJaniceBattersby Thu 23-Feb-17 08:30:56

What size though ?

Snugglepalace Thu 23-Feb-17 08:35:48

They were showing a small shopping basket full of fruit and veg and this represented around the 10 portions, it seemed loads! I don't know how I'd get that into my 2 and God knows how much it'll cost confused

Snugglepalace Thu 23-Feb-17 08:36:54

But things like beans, pulses, frozen and tinned count as well.

ToastDemon Thu 23-Feb-17 08:40:49

I eat about that. Mostly veg not fruit. The way I fit it all in is that my diet pretty much consists of veg, I don't really have cereal, toast, sandwiches or pasta except as a treat. The veg is the starting point. I then tend to add in things like yogurt, cheese, butter, some meat/chicken/fish, oatcakes sometimes. Them it's easily done.
But it does involve eating in a way that isn't what would be considered the norm.

GrumpyMcGrumpFace Thu 23-Feb-17 08:41:47

It would be helpful if as well as saying the amounts, they showed what a day's food with the 10 a day might look like.

I could imagine it as a salad for lunch, veg curry for tea, and some fruit salad. But would you have that day in day out?

NoelHeadbands Thu 23-Feb-17 08:41:53

I probably need to revisit what constitutes a portion, because although I like my veg 10 portions of it sounds like a lot of food

Heirhelp Thu 23-Feb-17 08:41:59

I do pretty well. Definitely at least 7 a day. Yesterday I had 9. I should probably have more veg and less fruit.

I mostly have a veggie diet and pluses and lentils are way cheaper than meat. The cost of food had gone down over the last few decades but I don't mind spend money on good food rather than other things as I see it as an investment in our families health and quality of life.

Heirhelp Thu 23-Feb-17 08:44:42

For fruit and veg usually 80g is an adult portion and 40g for under 5s

PixieMiss Thu 23-Feb-17 08:47:31

Slightly off topic but when does that "5 x 40g portion" kick in?

I can't imagine it being at the 6 month old weaning so 1 years old? 2?

Heirhelp Thu 23-Feb-17 08:52:03

This is very helpful for portion size
www.nhs.uk/livewell/5aday/documents/downloads/5aday_portion_guide.pdf

fueledbybacon Thu 23-Feb-17 08:52:16

That's crazy. Historically we only ate fruit during a very short window when it was in season as we didn't have the means of preserving it. We weren't meant to eat sheer volume of fruit they say we are supposed to. It's so much sugar! The body doesn't differentiate between sugar from fruit and sugar from donuts. It's all metabolically the same.

Lunenburg Thu 23-Feb-17 08:53:12

I didn't think there was a correct 'portion size'. I thought it was variety that was the key.

Oats with a handful mixed berries (3), a bowl of home made veg soup which included Brocolli, Peas, Spinach, Kale & Leeks (5), Carrot & Hummous (1), Chicken & Stir fry Veg (2) & a Banana (1) got me to 12 yesterday and well within 1200 Calories.

I find 10 a day easy and have also found my food bills much, much lower since I changed the focus of my diet to 2/3 Fruit & Veg.

Snugglepalace Thu 23-Feb-17 08:54:31

Just looked on the NHS Change for Life website, they say:
A portion is:
1xmedium pc of fruit =1 apple
2xsmall pc=2 plums, satsuma
1x slice of melon
1 test dried fruit
3tbsp of peas, sweetcorn etc
3x Broccoli spears
1x large bowl salad

I can see it's doable, I don't think that my Ibs will agree though blush

kippersandcurtains Thu 23-Feb-17 09:00:13

Fruit juice - presumably this counts? Ten portions is a tough ask (I'm already struggling with the 10000 steps a day target and I'm a pretty active person). My kids have a plain (no sugar) cereal with dried papaya & pineapple pieces sprinkled over - if this counts also then they've had two portions for b/fast. Not what their dentist would prefer though I imagine...

SpongebobRoundPants Thu 23-Feb-17 09:00:18

Tbh a serving size of fruit or veg is so pathetically small I easily eat that!

bluetongue Thu 23-Feb-17 09:01:52

What if you're a shorty like me? Surely I can't be expected to eat the same portions as a tall, solid man. I'd either get fat or not be able to fit anthing else in my diet.

echt Thu 23-Feb-17 09:03:34

I'm fucked. I eat veggies for 75% of my week, but because that link discounts lentils/beans, etc. as only one serve, I'm officially not eating enough veg.

GrumpyMcGrumpFace Thu 23-Feb-17 09:04:35

I use "fist size" as a portion. I think that was suggested in the "what to expect " book. So a toddler has a little fist, and a smaller woman a smaller fist than a big man etc. Makes more sense to me.

Snugglepalace Thu 23-Feb-17 09:12:16

I think that a lot of people think they are getting enough but when you look at the recommendations, it does seem a LOT of veg/fruit and then of course you need to pack in enough carbs, protein etc as well! I'm just not a big eater it seems like so much food!

ShowOfHands Thu 23-Feb-17 09:13:30

It's always been 10 hasn't it? I think they only ever said 5 as they knew the average Joe would claim 10 was too many. 5 was never enough.

I eat a veg/protein heavy diet and average around 12 portions a day. I'm 5ft 3" too and a size 8 so it is doable for a shortie.

NickyEds Thu 23-Feb-17 09:14:51

Lunenburg according to the website to make your breakfast 3 portions you would have to have, for example 2 handfuls of blueberries, 20 raspberries and 9 strawberries- I'd say that was quite a lot!

I don't eat 10 portions a day. My toddler would probably do it with fruit if I let him though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now