Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Sweetener in tea dries ya gob out?

(17 Posts)
Gwilt160981 Fri 17-Feb-17 12:54:14

Anyone else find that sweetener in tea or coffee dries your gob out and leaves ya feeling thirsty all the time? Or is it just me?

PavlovianLunge Fri 17-Feb-17 12:56:48

I find fizzy drinks with sweetener (whether diet or full fat) do that, and leave a horrible after-taste.

Gwilt160981 Fri 17-Feb-17 12:59:25

Maybe should switch back to sugar.... Only switched cos its healthy

BarbaraofSeville Fri 17-Feb-17 13:09:48

I don't drink sweet tea but do find that the artificial sweeteners in diet coke etc seem to diminish the thirst quenching properties.

Whether sweetener is healthy though is open to considerable debate. Could you cut it out all together or drink herbal tea instead?

SnoozyCunt Fri 17-Feb-17 13:11:23

Yes, I definitely find this. I've used sweeteners in tea for about a year now and I always have to have a glass of water with my tea.

PavlovianLunge Fri 17-Feb-17 14:07:53

I'd say go back to sugar, maybe golden granulated rather than white, but also trying to cut down, or cut it out altogether.

I've never sweetened tea, but went from having two sugars in coffee to having none. I cut down by 1/2 spoon at a time, and it worked for me, although ditching the last 1/2 took the longest.

SherlockPotter Fri 17-Feb-17 14:09:23

Tea dries my mouth out in anyway you make it... black, milk no sugar, milk with sugar, green tea etc. Coffee does the same, I think it's the caffiene

StealthPolarBear Fri 17-Feb-17 14:10:51

Is brown or golden sugar better for you than white?

PavlovianLunge Fri 17-Feb-17 14:46:31

I think brown, as it's less processed. Generally with food, brown is better for you than white.

expatinscotland Fri 17-Feb-17 14:49:04

Sweeteners are not 'healthy'. There is nothing wrong with sugar in small doses.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt Fri 17-Feb-17 15:10:22

Sweeteners are the devil's work. They all taste vile and leave a strong metallic taste for an hour afterwards, even after just a sip.

And coriander tastes like soap.

Camomila Fri 17-Feb-17 15:58:05

When I drink fizzy drinks with sweeteners rather than sugar I think they taste a bit washing-up liquidy.

Aspartame is also a migraine trigger for some people.

I'd rather have sugar than artificial sweeteners personally.

SnoozyCunt Fri 17-Feb-17 16:02:00

I don't like artificial sweeteners, I only use Stevia. Artificial ones are revolting. Stevia is really nice though and better for you than sugar.

SpongebobRoundPants Fri 17-Feb-17 16:28:31

I think you'll find it's the caffeine that dehydrates you

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Fri 17-Feb-17 16:52:31

Well this is going to go well...

IHaveBrilloHair Fri 17-Feb-17 16:55:20

Sweeteners are the one thing I won't touch, and I eat munchy boxes and tinned pies.
They taste really bitter to me.

expatinscotland Fri 17-Feb-17 17:17:11

'I don't like artificial sweeteners, I only use Stevia. Artificial ones are revolting. Stevia is really nice though and better for you than sugar.'

No it isn't. It's just another sweetener.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now