Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

If you park near school for up to an hour before school pick up time...

(122 Posts)
LadyHenriettaSlavingtonWold Thu 16-Feb-17 20:11:35

What do you do while you are waiting? Genuine question as I often walk past our local primary and there are people parked at this time. I am too chicken to lean into their cars and ask them and they might think I'm the local weirdo if I do.
Also why do you park early? Is it to get a good parking space? I am not judging by the way.
God I must have too much time on my hands to ask this grin

KindergartenKop Thu 16-Feb-17 20:14:36

It's because I'm watching you.

Gizlotsmum Thu 16-Feb-17 20:14:38

I will get to school early on days we have activities straight from school so I get a space near the school and can get out quickly ( we have max 5 mins spare on a good day between school finishing and the time it takes to get to the activity). I will check emails ( work and personal), return calls ( work and personal), listen to music and go on mumsnet/ Facebook

AlexanderHamilton Thu 16-Feb-17 20:17:49

I used to do it when DS was a toddler. I would take him to tumble tots then he would end up falling asleep in the car. It wasn't worth driving home & disturbing him only to have to take him out again shortly afterwards so I'd drive to school & read whilst he slept.

BubbleWrapQueen Thu 16-Feb-17 20:18:18

I do uni work, or marking, or read a book, or have a nap!!

LadyHenriettaSlavingtonWold Thu 16-Feb-17 20:18:33

KindergardenKop eek I'm gonna look out for you and wear dark glasses when I pass your car.
Bet a lot of them are mumsnetting. Or netmumsing.

HandsomeDevil Thu 16-Feb-17 20:20:54

I used to park a good 20mins early once weekly, as we had an regular appointment after school in the next town, for which we were always cutting it really fine. Getting a good parking spot genuinely made the difference between being on time and being late. I took a book, or listened to the Round Britain Quiz.

<old square>

Whathaveilost Thu 16-Feb-17 20:24:15

I used to this sometimes.
If I finished work at 15.00hrs and DS wasn't finished until 14.00hrs it didn't make sense to travel 20 minutes in one direction to travel 25 minutes in a different direction to school to go 25 minutes back.

I used to do my meal plans for the week, FB, MN, watch YouTube or something onthe iplayer.

ph0ebe Thu 16-Feb-17 20:28:33

Theyre on their phones obvs

Sunnymeg Thu 16-Feb-17 20:35:53

Read, sometimes if I'm running late eat lunch, listen to podcasts or park and go for a walk. I count it as my time during the day and really looking forward to it.

FatOldBag Thu 16-Feb-17 20:39:09

Sometimes I park 20 minutes early in the school car park. There a usually no free spaces. Parking on the road is further away and spaces also get taken up quickly. The suggested parking place is about 5 minutes walk away for a normal/healthy person.

I don't do anything! I rest or try to nap for a bit. I have ME so can't walk very far, and I'm also pregnant and have SPD so every step hurts at the moment. Ds is 4 and a naughty pain in the arse to get into the car quite often - sometimes he'll run off, or just lay down and refuse to move. The closer the better for me so it's worth a sit down in the car.

twilightcafe Thu 16-Feb-17 20:42:12

I used to park up near school when my youngest was having a nap in her car seat. Wasn't any point going home as she would have missed her nap and been a nightmare later.

RainbowSpiral Thu 16-Feb-17 20:43:45

I walk

QueenieMum Thu 16-Feb-17 20:47:19

I have a particular spot I like to park in so try and get there as early as I can, especially if it's raining. I do emails, make a few calls, generally mess about on my phone. I also listen to music and sing, no-one can hear me if I'm in my car, right?!

Hallors90 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:48:04

I only passed my test recently, and parking at school is horrendous at the minute, due to building work..so I go up early, not to get a close space, but to park with nobody watching haha. I tend to read, and it's quite nice to have some "me time"

Kmxxx14 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:48:20

I do this when my daughter is napping.

HollywoodStunt Thu 16-Feb-17 20:50:40

I've never driven to the school but the parents who do usually sit with their engines running for ages while they stare at pedestrians and others waiting at the school gates

TroysMammy Thu 16-Feb-17 20:51:23

My parents do this when picking up GD. They are not ones to chat to each other but I've been informed by my DM they read the papers. I think they are bonkers. I pick up my niece and get there 15 mins beforehand and still get a space nearby.

JanuaryMoods Thu 16-Feb-17 20:53:13

They do it to make it as difficult as possible for residents to get in and out of their drives for as long as possible or to attempt to prevent emergency vehicles having access our properties.

<bitter>

TheWitTank Thu 16-Feb-17 20:55:24

I used to do it (although not for an hour, more like 35 mins) because I would leave work and school would be via home. If I drove home first I would never get back to school in time for pick up. It just made sense. It was nice to just sit and read in peace for a while!

Phillipa12 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:57:49

Only place ds will nap is in the car, so go 30 mins early park up and have a nap myself 😁

HarryPottersMagicWand Thu 16-Feb-17 20:59:40

At our school they do it because they are bloody lazy and cba to park a little bit further away and walk up the road. It fucks me off because I also have ME and I'll drive on a bad day and I have to get there about 35 minutes early if I want to park near the school. I MN on my phone.

ShelaghTurner Thu 16-Feb-17 20:59:49

I do it because parking anywhere near the school is a nightmare. It's the best time of the day. I take a coffee, a book and my phone and I read or catch up on stuff in pure peace and quiet. It's lovely. Blocking no one in and preventing no emergency services from accessing anywhere. It's bliss.

therootoftheroot Thu 16-Feb-17 21:01:55

Some people do this in the morning. They will be sitting there at 8am when school doesn't start until 8,50.
It makes it really difficult for staff to find a parking space.

Also...why not stay at home and have an extra cup of coffee?

There is one parent and child who stand in the freezing cold playground for nearly an hour before school e very morning. Wtf?

Strygil Thu 16-Feb-17 21:07:47

I mostly cycle with my little lad to school but when I use the car I need to make the walk as short as possible - severe lower spine and knee problems for which I really need a walking stick. But as an older father I don't want my son teased about his dad being a cripple, so I need to get as close as I can to the school gates. Then I listen to talking books on my iPhone, Currently I am listening to Ian Kershaw's biography of Hitler - fantastic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now