Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How many opened jars do you have in your fridge right now?

(163 Posts)
CoffeeAndOranges Thu 16-Feb-17 19:56:11

We have 16!!

Ranging from a few olives of questionable age, mango chutney, various relishes, mustards, jams (they always seem to go mouldy if I keep them in the cupboard and some horseradish.

I loathe wasting food but I suspect many of these will end up in the bin as we just won't use them before they go mouldy (looking at you for opening that horseradish DH).

How many jars do you have on the go in your fridge?

Motherwithflaws Thu 16-Feb-17 19:57:21

4 I think... Jam red pesto green pesto and maple syrup

HandsomeDevil Thu 16-Feb-17 19:59:19

16 as well
as a family, we are Never Knowingly Under-condimented
It all gets eaten.

KP86 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:01:21

I don't dare count but would guess more than 16!!

peaceloveandbiscuits Thu 16-Feb-17 20:02:19

I'm too ashamed to look

Autumnchill Thu 16-Feb-17 20:03:35

I hate how many jars we have in the fridge but he just has to have two different olives and then three different types of pickled onions and chutney, six varieties of steak sauce, tomato ketchup (couldn't convince him it didn't need to be as per BBC news earlier this week), stuffed peppers, raspberry coulis, salted caramel......

I can hardly get my wine in!

MrsMarigold Thu 16-Feb-17 20:04:46

1 strawberry jam in regular use
2 marmalade (one for DS to use for a picnic with Paddington and another freebie from Abel & Cole)
2 different mustards both in regular use
1 olives (unopened bought by DH last weekend)
1 Mayonnaise (will probably be chucked but bought for D-FIL)
1 red currant jelly (we had Venision over Xmas)
1 waitrose red onion marmalade (used regularly with cheese and oatcakes)

That's it, my DM bought new jam every week on the weekly shop and I found the cupboards at home very frustrating.

NoTractorsAtTheTable Thu 16-Feb-17 20:05:07

I've just had to go check...we have two: questionable pesto and sundried tomatoes. How very 80s grin

illegitimateMortificadospawn Thu 16-Feb-17 20:05:18

I haven't looked but somewhere between 16-20 feels about right.

Somehowsomewhere Thu 16-Feb-17 20:05:24

Err... one. Whole grain mustard.

cheminotte Thu 16-Feb-17 20:05:46

Prob at least 10 - 4 different types of jam, pesto, tomato sauce, pickled onions and chillis, mustard. Did throw away cranberry jelly from 2015 Christmas recently though!

illegitimateMortificadospawn Thu 16-Feb-17 20:07:07

Things have improved wastage/condiment roulette-wise since we bought a Sharpie (marker) for the fridge - jars now get labelled/datedwhen they are opened.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 16-Feb-17 20:07:39

18 (not including bottles) They are all in use though, and not festering very much

* Any links in this post are advertising shit and not me, so don't click them...

NomDePlumeReloaded Thu 16-Feb-17 20:07:49

The entire top shelf of one of our fridges (one in kitchen, one in utility) is jars - pickles, chillies, pesto, olives, various sauces & chutneys, jams. I'm not going to count them but it is definitely more than 16.

BastardGoDarkly Thu 16-Feb-17 20:08:02

About 6, the space they take up annoys the shit out of me.

DancingHouse Thu 16-Feb-17 20:08:26

Eleventy billion

Sgtmajormummy Thu 16-Feb-17 20:09:01

About a dozen.
Having a choice of jams is very reassuring because I spent so many years being able to afford just own-brand strawberry. So now we have at least three on the go at any time.

There's also mustard x2, mayo, pesto, pickles and salted capers.

Alicesmith85 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:10:43

Jam, pickle, mayo, marmalade, open jar of baby food, curry paste so six!

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Thu 16-Feb-17 20:11:16

olives
Mustard
Branson Pickle
Tomato chutney ( made by mum)
Caramelised onion chutney (made by mum)
Moroccan chutney ( made by mil)
Mayo
1 strawberry jam
1 marmalade

0nline Thu 16-Feb-17 20:14:18

Capers which will be used up in tomorrow's lunch.
Garlic/Chilis minced in oil, which will probably get used up by Sunday.

Before dinner it was 3, had the end of a jar of sun dried tomatoes, but chucked them in with the beef to whizz up into meatballs for dinner.

DJBaggySmalls Thu 16-Feb-17 20:14:38

Our fridge is full of opened jars of condiments. I regularly rage over this. The waste. The furry pesto. The worst incident was the great Thai Fish Sauce Disaster of October '15.

LadyHenriettaSlavingtonWold Thu 16-Feb-17 20:15:46

One weird green pickled thing, possibly a gherkin (must read the label), one near empty jar of jam, a pickle jar, pickled onion jar, jar of marmalade god knows how old.

RatOnnaStick Thu 16-Feb-17 20:21:27

I feel quite restrained now.

Mincemeat
Pickle
Salsa
Mayonnaise
Sweet Chilli
Jam

Plus a squeezy bottle of ketchup and one of salad cream, an open tin of cat food, some decanted kidney beans, half a tub of sour cream and an unopened jar of silverskin onions.

I did throw out a distinctly odd-looking bottle of brown sauce last week though. It had a use-by of Dec 2015 blush

KitKats28 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:39:37

The entire bottom shelf. And most of the door. I've got jams, chutneys, pickles, random stuff like harissa paste and tahini, condiments, sauces. I reckon about 20. They drive me bloody insane. They take up so much damn space, but I use them all!

MongerTruffle Thu 16-Feb-17 20:41:23

couldn't convince him it didn't need to be as per BBC news earlier this week

That article said that keeping it in the cupboard could change the taste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now