Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

panicking that we've spent thousands on a holiday that will be bad

(214 Posts)
NoTeaForMe Wed 15-Feb-17 23:48:21

I'm lying awake panicking now. We've booked an all inclusive holiday in Spain and since booking have read some bad reviews. I can't get them out of my head and have sat in bed reading review after review. I'm in a state worrying that it's going to be awful. Why can't I just be pleased?

MrsJamin Wed 15-Feb-17 23:49:40

Is there a way you can get your money back?

NoTeaForMe Wed 15-Feb-17 23:50:59

We'd lose the deposit and my husband is adamant that there's always a few bad reviews and it doesn't mean anything.

RNBrie Wed 15-Feb-17 23:51:16

Are there also good reviews?? There's no place on earth that has 100% good reviews. There will always be some shit ones so try not to worry!

NoTeaForMe Wed 15-Feb-17 23:53:00

There's heaps more good reviews than bad. I know that makes me sound stupid but I can't shake the bad ones and I feel sad, disappointed and worried

jcne Wed 15-Feb-17 23:53:45

this happened to me once.i got in a right state about it. the holiday was ok, but i have learnt my lesson 🤓

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Wed 15-Feb-17 23:54:06

Nowhere will have 100% good reviews! You can't please all the people and so,e grumpy arse always likes to complain about something.

Out of all the reviews how many are bad?

AssembleTheMinions Wed 15-Feb-17 23:54:12

What is the overall average on the review site and how recent are the bad reviews?

When was it booked? There is often a 24 hr cooling off period or maybe you could pay admin fees and change if it's really that bad.

Rainbowqueeen Wed 15-Feb-17 23:55:52

Can you critically evaluate the bad reviews? For example I tend to ignore the ones that complain about places not being spotlessly clean or noisy kids because my standards of cleaning are low and my kids are noisy
Also I ignore complaints about staff as you never know if the person writing the review was rude first.
Take the opportunity to learn from the reviews. If they say the pool is crowded in the afternoon, plan to goin the morning, things like that

And your husband is right, there are always bad reviews

NoTeaForMe Wed 15-Feb-17 23:56:16

What do you mean you have learnt your lesson jcne? You'll listen to reviews or you won't read them?

There's a lot more positive than negative. So I know I'm being irrational. I just can't help it. I'm actually in tears.

Will a non-heated outdoor pool be warm in Spain in August?

AnyFucker Wed 15-Feb-17 23:57:12

Step away from Trip advisor !

AnyFucker Wed 15-Feb-17 23:57:55

The pool will be a welcome relief from the heat in August !

JorahsMissus Wed 15-Feb-17 23:59:13

The bad ones I usually take with a pinch of salt as some people just like to moan. However if the same thing is repeated over and over again and the majority of reviews are bad then I would take it on board.

Can you post which hotel it is and someone is bound to have been there?

I read as many reviews as possible before I book and can honestly say there are so many of them that are just nit picking. The ones I tend to take on board are if they say the hotel is very noisy at night as DD would never sleep and whether or not the hotel is full of stag/hen parties. Most other complaints are due to people's standards. If you've got a bargain then expect to compromise on some things.

user1484226561 Wed 15-Feb-17 23:59:20

you are panicky because you have spent a lot of money, its natural, its a bit traumatising if you are normally careful!

JorahsMissus Thu 16-Feb-17 00:01:06

The pool will be freezing when you first get in but trust me, that will be a relief on the hotter days and even when you do first step in, just dunk urself quickly and that's that problem sorted in a second.

JorahsMissus Thu 16-Feb-17 00:01:35

*yourself

AnyFucker Thu 16-Feb-17 00:02:02

There wasn't any English bacon

The taps were a different way round than I am used to

The waiters didn't treat me with the respect I deserve

There were some skinny cats hanging around

It was too hot

Fucking whinging bastards...Trip Advisor is stuffed full of 'em

NoTeaForMe Thu 16-Feb-17 00:02:14

I just don't know if my children will do that. If they won't swim in the pool it's going to be a ways of time.

celtiethree Thu 16-Feb-17 00:02:29

Step away from reviews. You have booked the holiday it will be great. Focus on what you want to do when you are there. All inclusive brilliant you won't come home with an insane bill from eating out.

NoTeaForMe Thu 16-Feb-17 00:02:40

waste

NoTeaForMe Thu 16-Feb-17 00:03:20

I don't want to post the hotel in case someone has been and says it's shit!

Bordersarethebest Thu 16-Feb-17 00:03:57

Check what the ad reviews are saying. Eating between the lines you can often tell if someone is being deliberately picky or is just that type of person. Then ignore.

If there's loads coming back with norovirus that would be different but if it's Cynthia on reception is rude or the shower not strong enough I'd not worry.

celtiethree Thu 16-Feb-17 00:04:40

Post the resort loads of people on here will prob have been there or know of it.

Iamastonished Thu 16-Feb-17 00:04:43

It will be so hot in August the pool won't be cold anyway.

Bordersarethebest Thu 16-Feb-17 00:05:01

Dear God! Bad reviews not ad reviews and reading not eating between the lines!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now