Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Songs for a wedding, preferably humorous.

(118 Posts)
TheWeddingCandelabra Tue 14-Feb-17 17:42:05

I've NC for this as I've asked friends already.
We are in our 40s and getting married, it's the 2nd wedding for both of us.
We don't have to get married, we aren't going to have any more children, we don't need to secure finances.
We are simply getting married because we met completely accidentally when neither of us was looking, have fallen in love, we're mad about each other, we're a fantastic fit and we both want to stand up, say it and celebrate it.

So we want our day to be a celebration and a laugh.

The ceremony itself will be in a registry office with a big party later.
I need a song I can walk down the 'aisle' to and we need a song we can play when we walk back the other way as a married couple.

We would like the songs to be humorous even if not obviously , maybe irreverent but suitable for our Mums to hear!

I've asked around and had lots of suggestions but nothing seems the right fit. These include:

Led Zeppelin - Dazed and Confused
Grease - You're The One That I Want
The theme from Minder
The Four Tops - I Can't Help Myself
Don't Stop Me Now - Queen
Hard To Handle - Otis Redding you'd have to know me to know how appropriate this is grin
Oops I Did It Again - Britney Spears

Anyway, you get the picture.
BTW we are both children of the 70s if that makes any difference, we were both metal heads him more than me, my taste in music is extremely diverse.

All suggestions welcome and considered from the sublime to the ridiculous please grin

Watto1 Tue 14-Feb-17 17:44:22

A friend of mine walked down the aisle to Walking on Sunshine. Not funny as such but certainly not traditional!

LoupGarou Tue 14-Feb-17 17:45:15

I was going to suggest the song Put Another Log On The Fire but then saw what you wanted it for, so no - not suitable!

KiteyDelighty Tue 14-Feb-17 17:45:35

Elvis it's now or never

suitsyousir79 Tue 14-Feb-17 17:46:24

I wanna grow old with you - by adam sandler from the film the wedding singer.

MiddleClassProblem Tue 14-Feb-17 17:47:04

I considered Jaws at one point but I wasn't brave enough 😂

KiteyDelighty Tue 14-Feb-17 17:47:04

Hold on (I'm coming)

FenellaMaxwellsPony Tue 14-Feb-17 17:47:44

Hall & Oates - You Make My Dreams

HamletsSister Tue 14-Feb-17 17:48:21

My favourite was Morecambe and Wise, "Bring Me Sunshine" which works for every generation.

ILikTheBred Tue 14-Feb-17 17:48:30

Definitely not what you have in mind but DH and I used to joke we would have "Every day I love you less and less" by the Kaiser Chiefs as our first dance. Didn't have the nerve to go through with it though !

Sparklingbrook Tue 14-Feb-17 17:50:27

This? grin
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH3ap9COvOk

TheMysteriousJackelope Tue 14-Feb-17 17:52:05

A friend suggested his sister walk up the aisle to the Imperial March from Star Wars.

She was not amused.

Everyone within earshot was though.

He also proposed 'I'm bringing sexy back' for a reception song. Also not amused.

I did go to a wedding where the photographer had the bride and groom stand in the middle of the dance floor. Their immediate family formed a ring around them, then extended family, then friends, then not so close friends and work colleagues. Then we all danced to New York New York and at the end all turned towards the photographer. He got a great shot of everyone laughing.

Lifeisdinky Tue 14-Feb-17 17:52:24

Has to be
REM - End of the world as we know it (I feel fine).

I was bet a case of Champagne against having this as our first song but husband was taking it all more seriously than me and wouldn't play along.hmm

AtiaoftheJulii Tue 14-Feb-17 17:54:13

Tim Lehrer - When you are old and grey

MiddleClassProblem Tue 14-Feb-17 17:54:47

Walk out to "let's get it on" Marvin Gaye

LoupGarou Tue 14-Feb-17 17:55:22

@MiddleClassProblem
I considered Jaws at one point but I wasn't brave enough

Just spat out my coffee!!! That is brilliant grin

NetballHoop Tue 14-Feb-17 17:55:41

Never say never again
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwm1H0dxAKY

Theyhaveallbeenused2 Tue 14-Feb-17 17:56:48

Walk back up.the Auldearn to signed sealed delivered? Love the Britney spears suggestion

MegCleary Tue 14-Feb-17 17:57:37

I wanna grow old with you - by adam sandler from the film the wedding singer.

We had this as our first dance!

Theyhaveallbeenused2 Tue 14-Feb-17 17:58:12

That should read back up the ailse to

TheWeddingCandelabra Tue 14-Feb-17 18:07:29

These are fantastic, please keep them coming.

Never Say Never Again is a great idea but not the best Bond song sorry and we are Bond fans

The Jaws theme and Imperial March would be hilarious, in fact lots of them would.

The End Of The World As We Know it could be a contender, as could another Abba song suggested by a friend.

Thank you everyone flowers please keep them coming.

Youranus Tue 14-Feb-17 18:18:27

www.allthelyrics.com/lyrics/divine_comedy/perfect_lovesong-lyrics-1145927.html

The lyrics to this Divine Comedy song are just lovely. I would have thought The Beautiful South would have a few songs that would fit your bill too.

carameldecaflatte Tue 14-Feb-17 18:18:52

We had "Don't go breaking my heart" at the end of the service. Love the idea of the Imperial March though!

FadedRed Tue 14-Feb-17 18:20:07

Jake Thackray - Lah-di-dah

Bubblysqueak Tue 14-Feb-17 18:24:22

We has queen don't stop me now playing to our guests as they arrived. I wanted tragedy but dh said it was going a Little far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now