Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Dentists call to end 'workplace cake culture'

(529 Posts)
Sahhhhh Tue 03-Jan-17 11:55:09

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38491414

Dentists have criticised "workplace cake culture", saying the sharing of sweet treats in the office is contributing to health problems.

The Faculty of Dental Surgery said people should cut down on eating cake and biscuits at work as it added to obesity and poor oral health.

Professor Nigel Hunt said the UK needed "a culture change" at work.
Tips to cut back on sugar included keeping it as a lunchtime treat and hiding snacks out of view.

Professor Hunt, dean of the faculty at the Royal College of Surgeons, said it may be a case of managers wanting to reward staff, colleagues wanting to celebrate or people bringing presents back from their holidays that sees sugary snacks going into the workplace.

But he said it was detrimental to employees' health and they should make a New Year's resolution to "combat cake culture" in 2017.

Isn't this just going over the top? I bring in cakes and goodies all the time to work and people enjoy eating them. I have a huge box of chocolates and two big boxes of biscuits that I got over Christmas that I will be taking into the office.

TheHoldings Tue 03-Jan-17 11:57:45

The feeders love to feed! The cake culture at work makes it very difficult to say no to cakes and biscuits. Mind you the alcohol culture at work is pretty bad too!

NathanBarleyrocks Tue 03-Jan-17 11:58:20

I think tooth decay is a bit more complicated than having the odd cake at work!

NathanBarleyrocks Tue 03-Jan-17 11:59:19

alcohol culture at work

??? I'd be sacked if I had a drink at lunchtime.

DoItTooJulia Tue 03-Jan-17 11:59:20

I hated the week after Christmas/new year because everyone would bring their left over chocolates and biscuits in.

I'm not going back to work this year so I'm free of all that crap! Yay!

WorraLiberty Tue 03-Jan-17 12:10:23

Isn't this just going over the top? I bring in cakes and goodies all the time to work and people enjoy eating them. I have a huge box of chocolates and two big boxes of biscuits that I got over Christmas that I will be taking into the office.

If it's adding to obesity and poor oral health, then no it's not going over the top.

Obviously adults are free to eat what they want, when they want but that doesn't mean the Faculty of Dental Surgery are wrong to try to change the culture.

Also, a lot of people will be starting the new year with all sorts of diet plans, so they probably won't want to be tempted in the work place.

TheHoldings Tue 03-Jan-17 12:14:59

Maybe you would Nathan But at dh's workplace lots of work events/dinner meetings revolve around alcohol...I appreciate that might not happen in every workplace, but where clients are involved alcohol is the temptation not cake!

Sahhhhh Tue 03-Jan-17 12:15:49

I hated the week after Christmas/new year because everyone would bring their left over chocolates and biscuits in

I bring my leftovers in. But I am waiting till next week till everybody is back in properly grin

I think I am a feeder blush I don't eat the stuff I bring in because I don't want to get fat

DeliciousIrony Tue 03-Jan-17 12:16:05

They aren't arguing that people don't enjoy it, they're arguing that it contributes to various health and dental problems if it's all the time and we are too used to relying on sugary snacks as a pick-me-up at work.

Sahhhhh Tue 03-Jan-17 12:17:11

If it's adding to obesity and poor oral health, then no it's not going over the top

Does it not depend on people's intake the rest of the time, not just at work?

2ndSopranos Tue 03-Jan-17 12:18:08

Good heavens, just say no! It's really not difficult.

I don't go in our staff room very often but I don't feel the need to eat stuff if it's in there. Ever.

I think getting people to develop a bit of willpower might be more to the point.

FruitCider Tue 03-Jan-17 12:18:40

I think these dentists need to come and do a shift with me, I find it hard to find time to prepare anything healthy and live off junk food!

WorraLiberty Tue 03-Jan-17 12:18:44

You don't eat it yourself because you don't want to get fat, and yet you think this initiative to try to tackle obesity and poor oral hygiene is OTT? confused

PandasRock Tue 03-Jan-17 12:19:06

It's insidious, though, isn't it?

Cake regularly on Fridays as a team morale boost bleeds into cake on birthdays, for hitting targets, to celebrate any personal success, and so on. Before you know it it's regularly 3 times a week, plus people bringing in leftovers after Christmas/Easter/birthdays etc.

It's like the snacking culture in schools. My dc have never eaten so many biscuits and sweets as they get at school, and these are all on top of the daily puddings.

It isn't healthy or balanced.

BitOutOfPractice Tue 03-Jan-17 12:20:47

I work for myself so don't face this problem but I know my DP struggles to constantly turn stuff down when it's put right there in front of his face. If it wasn't there, he wouldn't eat it. It has really sabotaged his weight loss plans in this last year. I know I would find it hard to resist if it were there too.

I think some people do like to feed though!

BitOutOfPractice Tue 03-Jan-17 12:23:41

OP I think you need to think about why you have leftovers and stop putting temptation in other people's way.

You admit your stuff would make someone fat if they ate it, yet you don't think anyone should try and curb it?

And why on earth do you have so many leftovers? confused

Sahhhhh Tue 03-Jan-17 12:24:23

You don't eat it yourself because you don't want to get fat, and yet you think this initiative to try to tackle obesity and poor oral hygiene is OTT?

Yes. It is personal choice what people put into their mouths. I choose not to but I don't think it should be banned from the workplace for the people who do like to eat cakes and biscuits.

WorraLiberty Tue 03-Jan-17 12:24:25

Does it not depend on people's intake the rest of the time, not just at work?

Yes of course it does but well over half the adults in the UK are overweight/obese, so that's not going so well for a lot of people is it?

Therefore, the workplace (somewhere they can't avoid being) should probably be free of all the crap they're trying to cut down on/give up.

I remember when the smoking ban came in and workers were up in arms about it. Basically it was for their own good and did lead to a huge change in the smoking culture that once was completely accepted.

2ndSopranos Tue 03-Jan-17 12:25:18

Again, it's all willpower.

SparkleShinyGlitter Tue 03-Jan-17 12:29:49

No body forces someone to eat the cake, it's done to willpower surely

Are we blaming other people for x tooth decay because Y & Z brought cake in and x didn't have the willpower to say no? confused I thought adults choose what they eat

BitOutOfPractice Tue 03-Jan-17 12:31:30

Of course it's about willpower. But of course that is much easier to exert if temptation isn't there in the first place.

Take my DP. He's stopped buying all cake and sweet treats at home. He's sticking to 15000 calories a day. At 4pm, when he's starting to get peckish for his dinner, someone comes in with a 500 calorie slice of chocolate cake they've made and try and persuade him to eat it.

That's a test of anyone's willpower, let alone their ability to turn it down without offending the "feeder".

Sahhhhh Tue 03-Jan-17 12:32:37

OP I think you need to think about why you have leftovers and stop putting temptation in other people's way

I get given a lot of chocolates and biscuits over Christmas. Is it my job to ensure people don't get tempted? hmm

Pinkheart5915 Tue 03-Jan-17 12:32:46

People aren't forced in to eating the cake one would assume

Why do we always have to blame someone else? Oh I didn't give myself tooth decay it was A's fault for bring cake it. I mean seriously come on!

Spudlet Tue 03-Jan-17 12:33:30

My old work had cake for birthdays. Some woman brought in fruit salad once. The waves of hatred around the building were palpable shock

Just say no to cake if you don't want cake. It's really not difficult confused

BitOutOfPractice Tue 03-Jan-17 12:37:12

It's not your "job" no. But I think you might stop and think about the hypocrisy and irony of you feeding stuff to other people that you don't want to eat yourself. What do you get out of it I wonder?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now