Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Anyone done the NHS middle aged health test?

(150 Posts)
walruswhiskers Wed 28-Dec-16 14:29:06

I got 7/10 which is fine, I reckon. Need to do more exercise (it suggested couch to 5k which made me smile as I can run 10k though have been concentrating on more regular Pilates type exercise at home recently). Didn't ask about bmi though which surprised me.

Anyone else? There's a link on the bbc news homepage if you want a go.

LumelaMme Wed 28-Dec-16 14:39:54

I've just done it, and I scored a 7 too. I don't exercise as much as I'd like to - I used to run but I've buggered my achilles and I haven't the time to do much that doesn't involve exercising the dog at the same time.

And it's firmed up my New Year's Resolution-to-be to eat less crap - fewer biscuits in particular, and more fruit and veg.

Horsemad Wed 28-Dec-16 14:44:13

I got 7/10 too. More exercise and strengthening exercises recommended.

MyWhatICallNameChange Wed 28-Dec-16 14:47:05

I got 8/10. I definitely need to do more exercise, and eat less crisps! Usually I don't each much chocolate, but it's Christmas!

Don't really drink, don't smoke. But I am overweight, so will have to sort out moving more in the new year.

ihatethecold Wed 28-Dec-16 14:54:32

I did the quiz but didn't get a score at the end.
Had to put my email in and still didn't get a result.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Wed 28-Dec-16 14:56:33

Mine kept crashing at the end. I know I need to eat more veg and do more exercise. I'm definitely making changes this year

Horsemad Wed 28-Dec-16 14:56:35

I didn't put my email in but still got the score, try again?

AuntieStella Wed 28-Dec-16 14:58:16

I think it's bit crap - it asked how you were feeling 'right now' so I said (accurately) that I was pretty tired (because I'd just come in from a 10k run). So it 'diagnosed' me as low in energy and related that to everything.

Tried to redo it, scoring how I feel generally. Then fell foul of the food questions because the options don't fit terribly well with what I eat (eg if having breakfast in a bowl it would be muesli not cereal, and I generally don't eat potatoes at all, but when I do it's chips as a treat).

gallicgirl Wed 28-Dec-16 14:59:21

I thought you meant the health check the GP invites you to at 40.

To be honest I haven't bothered because it will tell me I need to eat more fruit and veg, drink less alcohol (both manageable but miserable) and do some exercise (I wish!).

pinkieandperkie Wed 28-Dec-16 15:06:05

I thought you meant the gp health check too.

MiddlingMum Wed 28-Dec-16 15:18:53

I started it but found it incredibly patronising so didn't continue.

dudsville Wed 28-Dec-16 15:39:22

Hm, i can't find the test but I had had the one at the surgery. Although my only exercise is limited (dog walking, gardening, house keeping - desk job to pay the bills) and I smoke (not much but still) and drink (I was honest about both of these and was very surprised that my intake wasn't more of an issue), genetically I'm sound and I have a good diet - except for right this exact minute. I discovered a few days ago that I didn't eat my advent calendar (My oh likes a calendar - I'm not fussed, clearly!) and reading this thread reminded me to have some of that!

ParadiseCity Wed 28-Dec-16 15:42:28

OMG I'm 40 soon. Will my GP invite me for a health check? I was expecting champagne and child free time not a fecking bonus smear check!!

gallicgirl Wed 28-Dec-16 15:47:34

I think they check cholesterol and blood pressure rather than see if your foof needs a spring-clean.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Wed 28-Dec-16 15:48:24

8/10. I drink a lot which cocked my score up, oh well , never mind.

originalmavis Wed 28-Dec-16 15:48:28

I got a 4% chance of dropping dead.

Lireal Wed 28-Dec-16 15:56:54

grin Paradise
I got 2 questions in and realised it was a load of bollocks. I then put I did the maximum allowable exercise for every day and it still patronisingly (is that a word?) suggested I was just within limits. confused

thatstoast Wed 28-Dec-16 16:01:37

I got 7 which was a real surprise. I think not drinking or smoking must outweigh being obese.

walruswhiskers Wed 28-Dec-16 16:04:52

Oh, it is horribly twee and patronising, I agree. I did think it was interesting that it focuses on what you put in your mouth rather than how fat you are though, especially in this era of fat-panic.

SirChenjin Wed 28-Dec-16 16:06:11

I got 7 - I'll take that. Definitely need to exercise more and eat fewer biscuits, but don't smoke and rarely drink, so it was as I expected really at 47.

ArgyMargy Wed 28-Dec-16 16:16:22

I got a 10 but I did lie. The section about strength exercising is just stupid.

SuburbanRhonda Wed 28-Dec-16 16:18:23

So this is a thread where people boast about what score they got?

Think I'll give that a swerve.

TrustySnail Wed 28-Dec-16 16:23:54

I had the same problem with food options as AuntieStella.

Also, it asked about exercise that 'gets you out of breath' such as 'fast walking' - I don't drive so I walk everywhere, but not at a pace that gets me breathless - so I answered 'no' to this - then got patronising advice to 'try walking to the end of my street' ... yes, thanks hmm.

megletthesecond Wed 28-Dec-16 16:31:03

But I know I need to cut down on stress already. And my only vice is chocolate and biscuits so that's staying too.

lljkk Wed 28-Dec-16 16:54:53

it is good this story came out same time as the celeb deaths that folk try to blame on hedonistic excess (CF & GM). The reality is most of us middle aged folk are simply fat & unfit and therefore at reasonable risk for the same problems that CF & GM died of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now