Talk

Advanced search

Future MIL has bought a white outfit for my wedding

(381 Posts)
natalie204 Tue 30-Aug-16 09:49:45

Mil showed me a photo of her dress and jacket she has bought for our wedding it's beautiful floor length white evening dress and white jacket. But i was brought up to never wear just white/cream to a wedding as a guest. I mentioned that it's not good etiquette to wear all white to a wedding. She was shocked and had never heard this before, my comment has now made things frosty.
I know my family will mention to her on the day how it's not appropriate to be wearing white.
Am i correct or is it just a regional thing (OH and his family are from a different part of the country)

tabithaa Wed 17-May-17 07:33:51

I had about 7 people in white at my wedding and see loads of people in white at weddings now.

Thankfully it didn't really bother me and one of them privately messaged to ask.

If your not keen say to your mother in law and put on invites? smile

WindwardCircle Wed 17-May-17 07:39:39

Zombie thread.

mumsiedarlingrevolta Wed 17-May-17 07:47:18

OP-what colour are your bridesmaids wearing?

I ask because my bridesmaid and flower girl were in cream and the little page boys wore cream waistcoats.

My MIL wore a long cream dress which I was initially confused but think it was to sort of coordinate with the bridal party. In no way was it an attempt to upstage me-and she looked lovely in the pictures.
Sometimes it's just trying to get it right-
I hope you can find a way to smooth it over before the wedding (perhaps discussion of what sort of flower she's like to go with her lovely dress?) and I would tactfully suggest to your family to leave the feedback for another day.
Just have a lovely day and smile!! flowers

mumsiedarlingrevolta Wed 17-May-17 07:48:26

UGH.
Saw zombie warning as I pushed post blush

tabithaa Wed 17-May-17 07:59:31

blush

StripeyDeckchair Sun 18-Jun-17 14:56:58

I'm firmly in the no white (or cream) or black outfits for wedding guests.
It screams of attention seeking & selfishness.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »