Talk

Advanced search

my family dont like christmas CAKE, PUDDING or mince pies

(37 Posts)
InterruptingKid Wed 11-Nov-09 19:08:13

and i do.
am i lucky i dont have to cook them or not?

RealityBites Wed 11-Nov-09 19:09:07

Message withdrawn

InterruptingKid Wed 11-Nov-09 19:10:54

i buy mine pies or eat my mums.
none of them relaly even like pastry

traceybath Wed 11-Nov-09 19:12:06

I don't like them either - I don't like any dried fruit its the food of the devil.

I still make cakes etc but just don't it myself.

Nigella does spiced apple pies and Delia's got a new recipe for an italian chocolatey cake thing.

procrastinatingparent Wed 11-Nov-09 19:12:15

Neither do my family. And I adore them all, which means that when my friend gives me a home-made Christmas cake every year, I have put on 3 stone by January 3rd.

Slubberdegullion Wed 11-Nov-09 19:12:21

I concur. Fraeks the lot of them.

IK, do you not make your own then?

The only think PITAish re the christmas pud is the tying of the string over the pleated paper. Jaysus I nearly gave myself a stroke the first time I tried to do it single handed.

shocked to the core!!! How can anyone dislike any one of those?! They are a Christmas staple diet to me! blush

Slubberdegullion Wed 11-Nov-09 19:13:59

People who don't like dried fruit...I JUDGE them I do.

What's not to like?

shonaspurtle Wed 11-Nov-09 19:15:05

Dh doesn't like christmas pies/cake/pudding so I don't bother making them. Not fussed either way but on balance reckon it's one less thing to worry about.

When we go through to my mincemeat loving family though he's the fraek (my mum never remembers) and refusal always sparks off a "oh I love [insert mincemeat item], oooh I can't imagine Christmas without [item]" conversation.

Which gets a bit old tbh.

InterruptingKid Wed 11-Nov-09 19:15:26

love mince pies.
only me eating them = no point in cooking

buy a microwavable xmas tiny pud for me
have a slice of mums cake

InterruptingKid Wed 11-Nov-09 19:16:12

waitrose once had a really nice recipe for mince meat on ,, was it puff pastyr in the oven wiht a lemon glace iciing on it

Tidey Wed 11-Nov-09 19:17:37

Last year I had Christmas pudding and mince pies and no-one wanted any because I had also made a chocolate and Baileys trifle, secretly hoping everyone would want the festive stuff and we'd be left with the trifle to enjoy on boxing day. But obviously the whole lot was eaten. Boooo.

procrastinatingparent Wed 11-Nov-09 19:18:38

I make mince pies for me and visitors, spiced apple pies for DH and other wierdos, buy mini Christmas pudding for me and MIL, make sticky toffee pudding for DH and eat cake that friend makes me.

And then I wonder why I can't be arsed to bake the rest of the year.

Slubberdegullion Wed 11-Nov-09 19:18:45

oh sad the tiny wee microwavable christmas pud is making me a bit sad.

That's what widowers eat on christmas day. They put it on a tray with a bit of bird's custard and eat it in the sitting room all alone with the jack russell and ITV on loudly.

sad

bigbangerslips Wed 11-Nov-09 19:18:46

im not fussy on mince pies as it got to taste right for me. Xmas Puds the same....i rather make my own

otherwise ill eat anything else!! grin

InterruptingKid Wed 11-Nov-09 19:19:37

here and for pudding this year they want to try chocolate baked alsaka from this montsh GH

InterruptingKid Wed 11-Nov-09 19:20:19

dont!! your pensioner tableau sounds rathe r attractive!

RealityBites Wed 11-Nov-09 19:22:04

Message withdrawn

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Wed 11-Nov-09 19:23:15

What is wrong with them?

It is not normal.

Those foods ARE Christmas

grin

traceybath Wed 11-Nov-09 19:23:45

I want to like dried fruit - I do. I like the smell but its the texture - its just wrong.

Slubberdegullion Wed 11-Nov-09 19:23:49

His rheumy eyes fill up as he takes his first bite of the pud, then he turns and gently touches the picture of him and his wife on their wedding day as he mouths the words 'it's not like yours Iris'.

Godd, am welling up here.

RealityBites Wed 11-Nov-09 19:25:49

Message withdrawn

herbietea Wed 11-Nov-09 19:25:58

Message withdrawn

traceybath Wed 11-Nov-09 19:26:33

Slub - you are a very funny lady.

InterruptingKid Wed 11-Nov-09 19:26:42

YUK to over eating

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now