Talk

Advanced search

Toy Farms - Where to start/ recommendations ?

(6 Posts)
Tillyboo Tue 10-Nov-09 18:08:01

My daughter will be 6 in April and wants a farm for Christmas. Since she visited her Granny & Grandpa's a couple of months ago she's been keen to have one as they got out their old toy farm - dd couldn't stop playing with it.

Has anyone any recommendations as to the best make etc. We want decent farm buildings etc and something to maybe add to in time.
Ta muchly ...

motherof2boys Tue 10-Nov-09 20:09:45

In my experience as someone who played toy farms until I was at least 10 the best ones are the ones where the buildings and enclosures aren't fixed. There is a lot of fun to be had in designing the layout using pinecones, duplo, ponds out of silver foil etc.

My boys have some relatively cheap farm buildings (a gift I don't know what brand) with accessories such as ladders, gates, floursacks etc which can be moved around.

But you can't skimp (IMO) on the vehicles and animals - they must be top quality (Britains are beautiful, but too small and fiddly for under 4s say) and of course real farms have lots of sheep and cows not one or 2 of each.

I hope you have a lot of fun.

spacedog Tue 10-Nov-09 20:41:52

DD has the Pintoy Middlebrook farm which is wooden and lovely but very big. They also do an Oldfield farm which is smaller. I am impressed with the new ELC farm, the buildings slot together and the whole thing looks very realistic. You can buy a fold out carry case for it too and a farm shop and petting area. This is the one I would buy now for an older child as it looks a bit fragile.

MortaIWombat Tue 10-Nov-09 21:10:32

Schleich are excellent quality - recognisable breeds, etc.

dumbalina Tue 10-Nov-09 21:30:44

www.scalefarm.co.uk has a range of farm buildings which are very realistic and there are plenty to add to. Would second the recommendation for Britains tractors (often cheaper on ebay) and Schleich animals.

mummydarlingsausage Wed 11-Nov-09 09:13:11

brushwood make lots of farm buildings - ds has the beef unit and loves it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now