Talk

Advanced search

Is a marble run a really silly present to get a 2 year old?

(17 Posts)
HeadFairy Tue 10-Nov-09 16:07:15

My friends ds (just 2) is totally different to my ds (who likes to smash things, run around, jump off things and generally destroy everything in his path) as he's quite quiet, bookish, really in to how things work. He's fascinated by wheels and mechanics, and I thought a marble run would really appeal to him. Is it really dangerous though?

Flightattendant Tue 10-Nov-09 16:13:50

I think they are great but seriously would wait till he is 3 - I've known my 6yo put things in his mouth he shouldn't, they can so easily just forget.

Unless you are going to be supervising constantly in which case he will love it. smile

AllBuggiedOut Tue 10-Nov-09 16:15:36

We have the marble run you've linked to, and there's not much a 2 year old could do with it. It's complicated to set up because all the blocks do different things (they send the marbles different ways, some are just stackers etc), and even though it's reasonably stable, it doesn't take much to knock it over.

How about some of those cogs that link together (think they might be Tomy, they're magnetic so you can put them on the fridge)? Will see if I can find a link...

HeadFairy Tue 10-Nov-09 16:15:56

That's what I'm worried about... my friend FWIW gave my ds a load of playmobile stuff for his birthday which is all indicated 3+ (like the marble run) and I was nervous about him putting it in his mouth, but she just laughed and said you can't wrap them up all the time... so maybe she's a bit more relaxed about these things than I am.

AllBuggiedOut Tue 10-Nov-09 16:16:56

These?

HeadFairy Tue 10-Nov-09 16:16:56

oooh now cogs were actually what I was thinking of but couldn't find any. He's absolutely fascinated by things like that. If you do find a link ABO I'd be super grateful

LilyBolero Tue 10-Nov-09 16:17:02

I would wait for the marble run, but there are loads of other construction types of toys available.

HeadFairy Tue 10-Nov-09 16:18:17

oops xpost...

Lovely ABO, that's great thanks!

bogie Tue 10-Nov-09 16:19:44

My son had a marble run at 2 and he loved it he was very quite and liked books jigsaws ect rather than cars and toys.
He had this one for his 2nd birthday www.elc.co.uk/toy/extreme-marble-madness-1/

AllBuggiedOut Tue 10-Nov-09 16:20:02

You're welcome - am glad I was reminded about them as I think my 21 month-old would love them too!

HeadFairy Tue 10-Nov-09 16:29:36

I think the cogs will be brilliant for him, he spends hours watching the wheels turn on his toy cars and trucks. He's fascinated at things that turn and move. Future engineer I think!

HeadFairy Tue 10-Nov-09 16:30:27

I do like that marble run bogie, I might save it for his next birthday instead. I'd hate to be responsible for a dreadful accident.

Flightattendant Tue 10-Nov-09 16:56:28

Ooh we have got something called Gears, it's made by Cambridge brainbox I think. You can get it from educational websites.

I would tell your friend that you know someone (me!) who choked on a marble-shaped sweet at 3 and could have died...seriously it doesn't bear thinking about though of course such accidents are quite rare.

Flightattendant Tue 10-Nov-09 16:58:56

Oh sorry wrong company...they are called Gearsgearsgears, very good and come with different set ups in a booklet. Bit ££ though if it is a friend's child!

4madboys Tue 10-Nov-09 17:14:29

we have a marble run, bought for my ds2 who is 7 for his bday this summer, it is currently in the lounge being played with by my 18mth old ds4 he LOVES it and doesnt seem to put the marbles in his mouth, but i do watch him.

i would check with his mum and see what she thinks, she would know if he was likely to put the marbles in his mouth.

also he will need help building it, will mum be ok with this?

the gears toys are good, or other building stuff, does he have duplo? thats always a favourite, even my older ones still love it, despite having proper lego for themselves.

lizziemun Tue 10-Nov-09 17:21:27

No

My 2yr old loves playing with her dads old marble run.

dilbertina Tue 10-Nov-09 17:53:32

We have the TOMY gears thing stuck on our fridge, been there for 3.5 years and still gets played with A LOT. Highly recommend it for 2yo...but still interests my nearly 6yo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now