Talk

Advanced search

Showbox appeal

(5 Posts)
homicidalmummymaniac Tue 10-Nov-09 11:03:25

So I have started to gather a few bits and pieces for the Smaritans shoebox appeal (first time ever) and now am wondering if there is an alternative charity/organisatioin it can be given to?
Have done some reading on the organisation and am not impressed. Really just wanted it to be about the gift to a child who would appreciate something of their own, not used as a vehicle for a somewhat extreme evangelical organisation to spout spread their beliefs.

Ideas anyone?

MrsJohnDeere Tue 10-Nov-09 13:42:42

Do you have a shoebox for the armed forces appeal running locally? Seems to be a big thing round here and I'm told the gifts are very much appreciated.

kateecass Tue 10-Nov-09 16:08:22

I posted same yesterday!! Had even covered shoebox and was ready to take to school yesterday. Then I found out their ethics/beliefs.

Someone told me about this backpack appeal which the stuff can go in. AND stuff doesn't have to be new

www.marysmeals.org/backpacks.html#tab6

homicidalmummymaniac Wed 11-Nov-09 19:43:55

Thanks a lot kateecass!
Just donated online to marysmeals and would be very interested in donating a backpack. Really like that the items are used to further their education.
Watching the video of the children receiving their backpack made me quite teary too!

kateecass Wed 11-Nov-09 20:48:31

I didn't watch the video, off to watch it now, no doubt I'll cry too.

I like the fact they say anything can be from the value range and good too if clothes are recycled.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now