We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what do you give a non-english speaking housebound man for christmas?

(17 Posts)
arolf Mon 09-Nov-09 17:11:34

He's not really housebound, just doesn't go out unless forced to - but my future FIL is coming to stay with us for christmas this year, and I have no idea what to get him. he has virtually no interests, except the environment, so I've found a mug which shows the effect global warming will have on the oceans when you fill it with hot liquids - but I need to get something a bit better than that. his son (my 'D'P) is being useless and shrugging at every suggestion.

does anyone have any ideas? thanks in advance if you do

bigchris Mon 09-Nov-09 17:12:54

bottle of nice wine and boxx of nice chocolates

shonaspurtle Mon 09-Nov-09 17:13:53

A jigsaw? Alcohol? Classical music?

purpleturtle Mon 09-Nov-09 17:14:26

Read the title and came by to suggest a jigsaw too.

arolf Mon 09-Nov-09 17:21:13

ooh, jigsaw is good idea. thanks for the suggestions! forgot to add he is obese and a recovering alcoholic, otherwise chocs and wine would have been my first choice!! so food is out of the question...

will go and look for a nice jigsaw

iheartdusty Tue 10-Nov-09 20:02:17

some environmentally useful products here

Leeka Tue 10-Nov-09 20:08:51

A goat or other similar environmental charity gift? I bought my father (the man who has everything he needs/wants) a piece of rainforest through Oxfam. Your DP can translate the paperwork if necessary, presumably?

Goober Tue 10-Nov-09 20:08:57

A plant.

cakeywakey Tue 10-Nov-09 20:15:16

If charity is his bag, Good Gifts do some great pressies as well. They bring together all sorts of cahritable gifts under one umbrella. Loads to choose from - you can buy a bit of greenbelt for examplem help plant a community orchard or help to regenerate meadowland to increase animal habitats.

You can find them here: www.goodgifts.org/

Good luck. I hope you all have a lovely Christmas smile

claudialyman Tue 10-Nov-09 20:20:25

Amazon are doing the Earth From The Air dvd boxset very very cheap. Dont know how much commentary is involved or if there are subtitles in your father-in-laws language?

Charity gift always a great idea

serenity Tue 10-Nov-09 20:27:53

Is he coming from overseas to see you, or does he live here? (Sorry, assuming you're in the UK) How about some books or CDs in his mother tongue? My MIL can't read English very well, and sometimes misses subtleties when watching English films (plus its not so relaxing to watch something and translate at the same time) so it's nice for her to get books and DVDs that she can use effortlessly.

Othersideofthechannel Tue 10-Nov-09 20:28:39

Teach yourself English CD or DVD grin

InterruptingKid Tue 10-Nov-09 20:29:47

was thinking same!

arolf Tue 10-Nov-09 21:31:06

he's czech, coming here to visit, and VERY set in his ways (sadly his son is very like him...)
great ideas so far thou8gh, will hassle DP into agreeing with one of them

lilolilmanchester Tue 10-Nov-09 23:00:10

Definitely something to occupy him. Jigsaw my first idea too. Or perhaps a sudoku book? Your Dp could explain it to him if he hasn't seen one before. Wooden puzzles/rubics cube etc etc

moondog Tue 10-Nov-09 23:07:01

OMG
Sounds like a riot at yours this festive season eh Arolf? grin

Will you be having a carp in t' bath?

arolf Wed 11-Nov-09 10:24:09

no carp! thankfully! that's for when we visit him it's going to be a long christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now