Talk

Advanced search

Want to host an early evening Christmas drinks thing..bit stuck where to start..please help!

(10 Posts)
hattyyellow Mon 09-Nov-09 16:46:48

We recently moved to our area and would like to host a December Christmassy drinks "at home" type thing.

Most people have small children so I'm thinking late pm/early eve so they don't all have to get babysitters and because our house is fairly small - so we'd have our kids waking up/running around anyway if we did it in the evening.

What sort of time would be best? I can manage (shop bought) canapes but I don't want to have to feed everyone. It needs to be late enough in the day for everyone to have a drink if they want and for people to be able to linger without all their kids getting desperately hungry and needing to be fed by us.

How many people would we need to create a bit of a buzz? And how much drink per person if it was late pm/early eve?

Best to have it at say 3-5pm? Or 5-7pm?

Any other tips for making it a good party. Will the children generally amuse themselves? Ours are all under 5 but people have various ages up to 11 and we don't obviously have the toys/games/entertainment for older ages..

Feeling nervous about it so any advice/tips gratefully received!

HeadFairy Mon 09-Nov-09 16:52:03

On the timing front... I'd be much more able to manage a 3-5pm do than a 5-7 because ds would usually be having his tea at five, and his bath at around 6pm. Not that I would mind for a free drink

Drinks wise, in two hours I'd say three to four drinks per person (one every half hour)

Do you have a seperate reception room for the children? I'm thinking like a playroom or family room or something, so you could set up a DVD or giant jenga or something for them to entertain themselves.

snice Mon 09-Nov-09 16:52:38

If you have enough space have a childrens' room with a festive DVD showing (Polar Express or Muppet Christmas Carol say)and some popcorn so that they can slope off to watch whilst the adults chat.

bigchris Mon 09-Nov-09 16:53:55

if you dont want to feed all the kids you need to have it btw 7pm and 9pm surely?
otherwise you'll have to crisps, sarnies etc for everyone
unless you put on invite ' you are invited for a drink and a mince pie at xxx house between 3pm and 5pm' , that would work

hattyyellow Mon 09-Nov-09 17:06:38

Wow, thanks everyone. 3-5 seems better then.

DVD v good idea as that would cover most primary school kid ages wouldn't it..

I wonder if I get enough canapes/snacky stuff that would probably starve off the munchies for a while in the kids whilst their parents have a drink...

JiminyCricket Mon 09-Nov-09 17:11:42

Did Christmas eve early evening drinks last year and it was quite fun..can't remember but I think I did a 'chocolate money' treasure hunt or a lucky dip or something, and a few kids games like musical bumps.

hattyyellow Tue 10-Nov-09 13:49:42

Good idea Jiminy..especially the chocolate treasure hunt, I know my kids would love that!

lilolilmanchester Tue 10-Nov-09 23:04:03

friends of ours do something similar, they bill it as "mulled wine and mince pies" - guests know they aren't being properly fed,but there will be something to nibble on (they do put out crisps, nuts etc too).
For such a mix of children. what about a good film for them all to watch, wtih popcorn? There are plenty of films which bridge the 5 -11 age gap, last an hour or so and would give you some adult time??

lilolilmanchester Tue 10-Nov-09 23:04:25

oh, just seen someone else has suggested DVD. How very right they are too!!!!

thesecondcoming Tue 10-Nov-09 23:56:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now