Talk

Advanced search

Board games for couples' presents - bad idea?

(8 Posts)
Geocentric Thu 05-Nov-09 21:29:52

On my list I have:
mil/fil
DH's brother and wife
DH's brother 2 and wife

We all exchange gifts, which is $$$ and time-consuming. But mostly $$$, to get everyone a present. Considering that DH's brothers have children, and pil's have the GC at home all the time, I thought that we could get each couple a cool game that they can play with the children (sort of a family gift). Is this a rubbish idea? Do you think people are going to be offended if I don't give a personal pressie to each?

Indith Thu 05-Nov-09 21:31:59

I love board games,I think it would be great.

Geocentric Thu 05-Nov-09 21:34:30

smile

purpleturtle Thu 05-Nov-09 21:34:48

I think it's a great idea.

Hulababy Thu 05-Nov-09 21:36:09

If they are board game fans then yes, good idea. They may prefer gmes aimed at adults though, depends on each couple. If not board game fans, then I'd avoid.

londonmackem Thu 05-Nov-09 21:50:56

Don't get a board game -get articulate, more adult based and much more fun than monopoly!

annh Thu 05-Nov-09 23:02:12

If it's meant to be a gift for the whole family then I think it depends on the age of the children whether it's appropriate or not as a gift. If it's mainly for the adults I think it's probably a good idea. DH and I have received a couple of board games over the years and while they're not played extensively, we do whip them out occasionally and enjoy them. Two faves are Chronology and Charades for adults (think it has a specific name but can't remember what).

Do choose carefully however and don't give what BIL gave us on the first year we were married. It was a board game called Mid-Life Crisis and the blurb was all about demanding children, mortgages, thinning hair etc. At the time DH and I had been married 4 months, were aged 30 and 28 respectively, had no children or any immediate plans to have any, worked abroad, didn't even have a mortgage as we rented a flat, had plenty of hair thank you .... it was so completely wrong and unusable that it is one of the only times in my life that we have returned a gift to someone.

Geocentric Fri 06-Nov-09 00:01:54

Thanks everyone!!! And annh, shock at your BIL's present!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now