Talk

Advanced search

Camcorder for a 9 yo

(10 Posts)
BarackObamasTransitVan Thu 05-Nov-09 13:17:10

Thinking about getting ds a camcorder for Christmas. He wants to make films when we go on daytrips and walks and so on. He's into wildlife so this may be a consderation. He'd like to film the badgers in our garden (although not quite sure how we'd set that one up). Oh and he wants to make little dramas with his Lego and Playmobil (although I explained that this is stop start animation rather than magically making the things move and filming it).
He's very enamoured with the idea of editing, adding music and so on. Oh, and with filming mishaps to win money on You've Been Framed hmm
I don't want to spend megabucks but imagine that like with most things audio-visual ther's a balance to be found between cheap crap and over-spec. I just don't know how to find that balance! We've never had a camcorder so I really have no idea.
Any ideas?

MintyCane Thu 05-Nov-09 14:38:35

I have no idea what make it was but I saw a grown up with an amazing little flip top one at a kids party and they said it was only £70 They said that it was good quality and brilliant. Sadly i don't know what it was but there are some good cheapish ones out there.

Chickenshavenolips Thu 05-Nov-09 14:42:13

I know that Toys'R'Us have a little camcorder for sale at 49.99. Haven't a clue how good it is, though.

oldraver Thu 05-Nov-09 14:49:09

My friend also has the flip and also loves it. Its quite simple to use but dont quite think its up to Speilberg standards. Maybe see how he likes it first before splashing out on a mega expensive editng suite

iheartdusty Thu 05-Nov-09 14:51:48

What about an animation station?

gadgetshop.com had them for £14.99 but I can't get the link to work today

ScummyMummy Thu 05-Nov-09 14:54:53

http://www.My 10 year old has this and I'm jealous! V nifty little thing.

seeker Thu 05-Nov-09 14:56:07

We've bought this one for 8 year old ds. My dp who knows abotu this sort of thing say's it's really good. We paid £39.95 for ours.

BarackObamasTransitVan Thu 05-Nov-09 15:20:28

Wow - thanks everyone! The only thing that concerns me about all these things is battery life. DS is going to be annoyed if he has to heavily ration his recording to save batteries, iyswim. Hmmmm. Food for thought.
Animation Staion looks ace, dusty. At £14.99 I'm ordering one right now. Here's the link btw - animation station

BarackObamasTransitVan Thu 05-Nov-09 18:29:27

ps I heart dusty too (Springfield, right?) grin

Oh - it's occured to me that ds isn't terribly steady handed. I imagine that has a bearing, too...

iheartdusty Thu 05-Nov-09 21:00:41

yep, springfield's the one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now