Talk

Advanced search

Table decorations

(11 Posts)
sheeplikessleep Wed 04-Nov-09 13:26:24

Has anyone seen good ranges anywhere?
Can't afford to spend too much, so I just wondered if anyone had picked up some bargains they would be willing to share with me where they bought from!
Thanks

NancyBotwin Wed 04-Nov-09 16:08:27

What do you mean exactly by table decorations? I usually use the same tablecloth every year (twas my nan's), buy a cheap packet of paper napkins and crackers and that's about it. If there's room on the table I might put out a candle or two but usually they last for years so don't buy every year. If you can't afford it, why waste your money on it?

girlywhirly Wed 04-Nov-09 16:14:17

I presume you mean artificial rather than real flowers/foliage type? I quite like an artificial berry garland with battery powered led fairy lights intertwined along the table. They are also safe to use with fresh arrangements, don't get hot, and no fire risk!

I haven't seen anything I like this year, but I usually do a fresh arrangement in florists foam, ( 98p for a brick from Wilkinson or Hobbycraft, only use a third of it each year) using holly, ivy, bay and rosemary from the garden, (free), add some blue fir sprigs (£3-4 for a branch from florist) and baubles/cones/artificial berries etc (recycled spares) and put in some battery led lights,(£5 at John Lewis, mine much cheaper from a Christmas shop) as the cat cannot be trusted not to get on the table! No chance of having real candles for this reason.

If you keep the florists foam wet, it will last three weeks.

jamandjerusalem Wed 04-Nov-09 16:47:17

I am going to try to make everything for my table decorations this year shock

I'm saving glass jars and bottles and will buy lots of different size candles to go in the jars etc. which will cover the mantelpiece.

Going to make some garlands like this and hang doilies like snowflakes in the window

Table will be simple - white tablecloth, I might print something onto white tissue paper to act as a runner, something like this and will have white crockery and napkins, and lots of jars of snowberries and/or paperwhites

Some nice simple ideas here

sarah293 Wed 04-Nov-09 16:48:22

Message withdrawn

girlywhirly Wed 04-Nov-09 17:44:00

Very nice, Jam! You could thread on white cottonwool balls as snowballs too!

murphyslaw Wed 04-Nov-09 17:59:26

I just use a glass bowl - chuck in some floating candles and sprigs of ivy. Its looks really nice wink

sheeplikessleep Wed 04-Nov-09 18:04:47

There's some really good ideas here, thank you.
I can't really afford much, but I'd like to do something to differentiate it to a normal meal really (it's our first year to have rellies around), just to make it a bit special.

Love the ideas, thank you

claudialyman Wed 04-Nov-09 18:09:02

you are all very creative but unfortunately im much less inspired so biscuit

ComeOveneer Wed 04-Nov-09 18:16:06

I am using purple, white (pearl) and silver this year. I've bought some lovely silver glittery knives, forks and spoons (christmas tree decosations) which I am bundling together and attatching to the back of the dinning chairs with a silver organza sash.

I have also bought silver charger plates for each place setting and assorted baubles to use as part of a centre piece with foliage and white candles in a silver tray. I will also use a silver pen to write each persons name on a bauble as a name "card". I am using plain white linen table cloth and napkinns 9bought some fab purple stone ring style napkin rings from ebay and a load of artificial silver rose petals to sprinkle n the table. Plus each setting will have a handmade christmas cracker with individual gift (I go a bit ott at christmas)blush

sheeplikessleep Wed 04-Nov-09 18:53:05

wow comeoveneer - you should set up a table decoration business

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now