Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of buying the dc a wii for christmas...

(10 Posts)
mummypumpkin Tue 03-Nov-09 16:49:39

Are they really as good as I've been told?

And if so does anyone know if there are any good deals around? I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly but I like the look of wii sports. dc are 10 and 5.

Should I buy now or wait til nearer the time do you reckon? Ohh decisions!

ismellofbabysick Tue 03-Nov-09 18:16:03

we bought one last year and they're great. DD's are 8,6 and 3. It's great to get the games where you have more than one player so you can have competitions. It's not been touched much in the summer as the kids were outside, but now the nights are darker it's going back on.
DH's aunt and uncle were round last week and we got them on it - she went out and bought one within the week!!! (she's 68, he's 70)

catinthehat2 Tue 03-Nov-09 18:31:29

If you decide to buy, get an extra remote, so 10 & 5 can Wii Box each other.

sinpan Tue 03-Nov-09 18:39:37

I bought a Wii for our children, thinking it would be better than other consoles as theoretically it makes you exercise. DH bought a PS3, mainly for himself. The kids spend 10 times as much time on the PS3 as on the Wii. But that may be because they like shooting games so much and the graphics on the PS3 are much better. The Wii is hardly ever used, sadly.

I think the Wii can be more social especially if you buy extra remotes and have family and friends coming round that like gaming.

mummypumpkin Tue 03-Nov-09 20:40:04

Thanks for the replies. Ds1 actually wants a psp but I don't want him to have one. They already have an x-box and ps2 and I hate them, thought this might be less antisocial.

I wonder now if this might just be something else for them to argue about/over...?!

catinthehat2 Tue 03-Nov-09 21:36:39

Wii does indeed have crappo graphics, but it is very engaging for competetive children - eg Wii sports, a child can beat an adult at boxing, so 10& 5 can play on equal terms.

If you do decide to go for a Wii, Tesco Direct has some very good bundle deals at the moment. Both my in-laws and my sis have purchased a pack with Wii, Wii Fit and Sports resort for £220, and double clubcard points too!

mummypumpkin Wed 04-Nov-09 13:23:59

I'm so rubbish I have no idea how much the bundles even cost. I take it £220 (gulp!) is a good price then?

bumpybecky Wed 04-Nov-09 15:10:49

possibly if you're buying the 2wii fit, but that's quite expensive by itself

I've pre-ordered a black wii with sports and sports resort for £ 165 from play.com

Lindax Wed 04-Nov-09 21:01:18

For ds we got Wii with Wii Sports, Sports Resort and Mario Kart (with steering wheel) for £179 from Curry last month, deal is off, but have been told by friend Game is doing same deal now.

They come in separate boxes so Santa is giving ds the Wii and Wii sports (£119). Granny is giving him the Mario Kart with steering wheel (£30) and SIL is giving Sports Resort (£30). This means we aren't spending so much ourselves and can get him one or two other small toys from santa.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now