Talk

Advanced search

Do you get such a thing as Lego books that have ideas for things to build?

(13 Posts)
loflo Sun 01-Nov-09 17:10:20

Title says it all really. Anyone know if these exist? Tried amazon with little success and the Lego website too but not much there. Any suggestions welcome!

TIA

gigglewitch Sun 01-Nov-09 17:13:39

the big boxes come with a book of suggestions - ds2 had the massive blue box (£25 ish) last year and there's a book in that. Otherwise they tend to use their imaginations and create all sorts.

If you're thinking of a child who can't 'invent' their own stuff, I work with children who have ASD and we make them photo strips of instructions how to make cars, houses etc.

nannynick Sun 01-Nov-09 17:36:48

They certainly used to exist - 1968 to 1990 - see here for list, here for example scans from a book. I wonder if a publisher like DK does them these days - Ultimate Lego Book (on Amazon). Lego Figures Lego Animals
Forbidden Lego

This book looks to be about advanced models

Free Lego Instructions - links to PDFs of some of the books.

nannynick Sun 01-Nov-09 17:43:18

Possibly useful... instructions/ Search for Lego Instructions. Need to know the product code though.

TheBatterflyEffect Sun 01-Nov-09 18:24:47

Message withdrawn

Takver Sun 01-Nov-09 18:54:53

If you have technical lego the toranomaki books "How to Build Machines with Bricks" are absolutely fantastic. Not exactly ideas of things to make, but how to achieve a given end with the bits that exist, IYKWIM. You can download the book as a pdf & then send him $10 if you like it.

littleducks Sun 01-Nov-09 19:01:15

have we discovered nannynicks secret hobby wink i never realised he was a lego fan before (i thought you just went to legoland as it was local) smile

TheBurnAGuyEffect Sun 01-Nov-09 19:03:29

Message withdrawn

TheBurnAGuyEffect Sun 01-Nov-09 19:04:49

Message withdrawn

nannynick Sun 01-Nov-09 22:46:43

I'm not sure it's a secret hobby exactly... I play with Lego at work. I have some Lego at home - but it's in my attic.

TeamEdward Sun 01-Nov-09 22:51:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nannynick Sun 01-Nov-09 23:12:20

loflo - perhaps be a bit more specific about what you are looking for. For example, is this Lego to be built by a child (if so what age) or by an adult?

EBAY can be worth searching for Lego books/instructions.
For example - 2 books containing ideas for 84 models
1976 Champion Builder - can't remember what this sort of publication contained, anyone remember?
Lego Ideas Book number 250 - can get a bit expensive as these are now collectors items.
Lego Idea's Book - this one seems like it has ideas for houses/buildings.
Lego ideas book 222
You get the idea. Just search Ebay using keywords: Lego book

Oh, not quite what you are looking for I suspect... though it may give inspiration for what can be done in Lego - Book Testament: The Story of Christmas - This Bible story is illustrated using still photographs of Lego. More about Brick Testament series.

nannynick Sun 01-Nov-09 23:15:05

There are loads and loads of online places... if an actual book isn't necessary. DMOZ: Lego - Builders is a starting point for a list of sites with examples of Lego models.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now