Talk

Advanced search

Christmas trees and crawling/pulling up babies

(8 Posts)
TheHAUNTEDHouseofMirth Sun 01-Nov-09 16:04:21

DS2 will be 10 months old at Christmas, is currently crawling and I expect will be pulling himself up on anything handy by then.

We usually have a 10 foot high real tree and I'm wondering what to do this year. Would really like one as we're having a party for my 40th birthday which is just before Christmas and it'll deflect attention from how shabby the house is! But is he likely to pull the damn thing on top of himself? Can't assume we can keep him out of living room unsupervised with 4-year old DS1 around to leave doors open.

Though if we get a smaller tree and put it on a table I'm not sure that would be much safer. DS1 was only rolling for his first Christmas so any advice from those who've done it before would be greatly appreciated.

twinklytoes Sun 01-Nov-09 16:14:33

have you got one of those baby dan playpens? if you do put the tree inside to save on re-dressing it every day.

stinkypinky Sun 01-Nov-09 16:45:42

Second the playpen idea. Worked for me.

LowLevelWhingeing Sun 01-Nov-09 16:50:07

10 months is difficult safety wise. IMHO I think you have to carry on with things like real christmas trees and keep teaching him not to pull it combined with constant supervision/playpen. That's just life with a baby and they move on so quickly.

sparklycherrybomb Sun 01-Nov-09 16:57:05

tbh, none of my 4 touched the tree when they were that age.

TheHAUNTEDHouseofMirth Sun 01-Nov-09 19:41:50

No playpens for trees or babies here. Guess I'll have to be ultra-careful to keep him out of living room unaccompanied, it's only a week or so after all. I can't imagine what kind of crap Christmas we'd have if he got squashed by the tree!

LilyloovesGuyFawkes Sun 01-Nov-09 20:15:35

I have always had real tress with my 3.
Didn't dress the first 3rd of the tree admittedly.
We secured ours in a big bucket so wouldn't fall over.

TheHouseofMirth Sun 01-Nov-09 20:34:35

DS1's was going through a ball obsession at about 18 months so that Christmas I didn't put any round ornaments on the tree for fear he'd nab them and play football with them...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now