Talk

Advanced search

Okay so I am lucky enough to be getting the family a Wii for Xmas...

(16 Posts)
DippyDino Sun 01-Nov-09 13:07:16

Could you lovely mumsnetters help me figure out what overpriced crap accessories I would need with it to help limit Xmas day frustration?

We are - Me + Dh + 3yr old DD + 13 year old DSD.

DSD is onlty with us weekends, so I think it's only worth getting 3 remote thingys (am a tad clueless) and Dh and I will swap around. (So one of us can go cook dinner, do washing etc)

We really fancy:

Mario Kart racing with the steering wheels - for everyone, so will need 3 of 'em.

Littlest Pet shop for Dd.

The zombie killing game for me.

Wii Sports - will be getting the 'bundle pack from game, but this has only one controller?

I am so excited I could burst...

Squishabelle Sun 01-Nov-09 13:22:21

Are you really bothered about games/accessories being new/overpriced? I am sure there must be loads of redundant wiis/games lying in cupboards all over the country. That way you could get more.

Sagacious Sun 01-Nov-09 14:02:27

littlest pet shop will be too old for your dd and is a bit crap TBH

Better off buying the wii play which comes with a remote and has very easy generic games

Sagacious Sun 01-Nov-09 14:03:31

Mario Kart is fab (you don't really need the add on steering wheels)

BeauticianNotMagician Sun 01-Nov-09 14:27:57

My ds's never use the steering wheel for mario kart they dont like it.I would just get a couple of nunchucks as well as a lot of games require one especially if you get wii fit but thats about it really.

VampireSoupAndPeachyPie Sun 01-Nov-09 14:39:57

My boys conversely love the steering wheels but I quite often see the Non- Nontemndo ones about in poundland etc,and I certainly wouldn't pay the full N price for them,most shops ahve their own brand.

I would suggest (as someone who did this 2 yeras ago):

a controller for each person who will regulalrly use

We like the silicone sleeve covers for the controllers as they do stop it slipping- never use without the strap properly fastened

Balance board is good (but we got for gift following Chrstmas)

Other gamnes boys love (and you might find on Ebay) that are family friendly are smooth moves and raving rabids.

VampireSoupAndPeachyPie Sun 01-Nov-09 14:40:23

Oh yes numchuls- good call, definitely

FritesMenthe Sun 01-Nov-09 14:40:26

Get battery recharger stand thing to fit all the remotes.
Lots of cheap accessories around eg steering wheels, Mario Kart comes with one anyway.
TBH the wheels and guitar hero guitars are the only bits that get used in this house. Tennis rackets, light saber, golf club all gathering dust.

Recommend Raymans Raving Rabbids TV Party as a game everyone can join in.

teamcullen Sun 01-Nov-09 15:16:31

You can get by quite fine with 2 controlers and 2 numchucks.

When there are more people in play, the controlers light up to show whos turn it is.

A good game recomendation is Monkey Ball. It has about 50 mini games plus a main game. Its loads of fun and very addictive, and with so many mini games there is something for everybody. Its not a new game so you should be able to pick it up for about £20

Also you can get wii play with with an extra controler which is about the same price as the controler on its own.

By the way we dont have any accessories, and have never felt as we have needed them.

Kbear Sun 01-Nov-09 15:23:13

Lego games are good - DS has Leg Batman and Lego Star Wars and they are BOGOF in GAME at the moment. DH has DIRT2 Colin McCrae racing which is good. We like Mario Kart best though (I speak for them as I am famously rubbish at all things Wii).

DippyDino Sun 01-Nov-09 18:24:36

Gotcha, numchuls and Rampant Rabbits made of Lego with a rubber sleeve from the Poundshop. Sorted!

feedthegoat Sun 01-Nov-09 18:30:43

Disagree about Littlest Pet Shop being too old for your DD but agree it is awful! My mum has a wii so ds and my db's dsd have games there for it. My ds turned 4 last week and has been playing and enjoying littlest pet shop for a few months.

Favourites with ds are Wii Sports and Wii Play. He has just got Lego Star Wars but hasn't quite got the hang of the controls yet (though he plays it easily on the playstation).

henryhuggins Sun 01-Nov-09 18:33:22

would also agree you don't need so many remotes and steering wheels.

we have 3 kids, 2 adults and have 2 remotes, 1 steering wheel. don't waste your money! dd's prefer not to use steering wheels to just the remote. hth

Sony72 Sun 01-Nov-09 19:44:51

Hi I have seen Blockbusters selling loads of secondhand remotes, numchucks etc for a good price. Plus many games come with extras such as a wheel, but a remote for each person playing is a good idea.

I would recommend the game Toy Story Mania! as you could all play as a family. My kids love it, especially with the resurgence of Toy Story all around them. Best of all you can try part of the game before you buy to see if you even like it on Youtube at www.toystorymania.co.uk.

I hope that helps, I am a bit of a Wii newbie myself.

Sonia, Disney

DippyDino Mon 02-Nov-09 16:04:44

Okay I am going to go with - 2 controllers + 2 nunchucks.
Littlest pet shop
Super Mario Kart
Toy Story
Lego game (haven't decided which one yet)
Sports whatsit.

This is a complete surprise gift for the family and they are gonna be thrilled

Especially dh as he loves gaming but can't justify a console 'just' for him and dd is too young for Devil May Cry on the PS3 etc...

Going to dash out on Tuesday and get it. Can't wait, thank you all so much for your advice!

ICantFindAFreeNickName Mon 02-Nov-09 18:08:02

If you can manage it I would try & get a controller for every person thats likely to be playing together (sounds like 3 in your house), you can make do with less, but we have found it a lot easier not to have to keep swapping.
A lot of the gaming shops (Game, Gamestation, HMV etc) sell 2nd hand games which is great, as you can get a lot more for your money.

You a going to have a fab Christmas with that suprise present.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now