Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What can we eat for x-mas lunch instead of Turkey?

(23 Posts)
Marne Fri 30-Oct-09 18:37:07

We are having our first x-mas at home without any family coming over, neither of the girls will eat roast turkey and the trimmings and i don't think its worth cooking turkey for just me and dh (i'm not keen on turkey either). What can i cook as a treat for all of us that won't take to long to prepare? (so i can spend more time putting toys together with the girls).

PoisonToadstool Fri 30-Oct-09 18:39:11

What do you all like? Have whatever you fancy! We are thinking about duck.

CarGirl Fri 30-Oct-09 18:39:13

I was going to say Duck.

What is your favourite family meal (s)?

I love roast beef on a very slow roast, part cooked roast potatoes so just chuck in the oven for half an hour etc

Earlybird Fri 30-Oct-09 18:40:10

Ham or gammon?

Cies Fri 30-Oct-09 18:40:23

We once had roast beef.

I think roast lamb is also quite festive.

Or if you want to get away from the "roast and trimmings" route why not have a delicious stew like boeuf bourginone (sp?) or coq au vin.

norksonmywitchesbroomstick Fri 30-Oct-09 18:41:56

Salmon en croute /beef wellington - both can be prepared in advance then just chucked in the oven.

The real answer is whatever you want smile Family friends never had xmas dinner each year they took it in turns and had each member of the familys favourite meal ( and that was egg and chips every 4th year)

Marne Fri 30-Oct-09 18:51:52

I like duck (not sure if dh does), we both like beef, gammon and lamb.

I would rather not have a roast, would prefer something i can just cook 20 minutes before we eat (i'm lazy), so something i can pan cook and add a sauce too or something i can cook the day before and just reheat in the oven.

Dd1 is a very fussy eater (doesn't eat much meat and limited veg), Dd2 will eat most things.

I don't mind cooking something else for dd1 (she would be happy with home made pizza and a few potato's).

PoisonToadstool Fri 30-Oct-09 19:02:41

Steak and chips...?

donnie Fri 30-Oct-09 19:05:20

I am thinking of doing a goose this year, except they are £70 to pre order at M&S !! we did beef a couple of years ago and it was nice but not the same as turkey with everything. I might go for a goose though, if I can find one cheaper. Alternatively I may become a poacher and visit the local ponds....

Marne Fri 30-Oct-09 19:52:51

Fillet steak would be nice.

It going to seem odd not having turkey, i think i will have to choose turkey at dh's x-mas meal grin.

oldraver Fri 30-Oct-09 23:43:05

We used to have a goose but when there was only the two of us I decided it was too big and too expensive for only two.

We know have a deboned stuffed duck from M+S, last year and this it is stuffed with cherries I'm going to defect to Waitrose this year as theirs is stuffed with apricots. It only takes 1 1/2 hours to cook and comes in its own roasting dish so no mess. You can do dinner in that time

Divatheshopaholic Sat 31-Oct-09 00:28:43

we had duck and goose in the past, with roasted vegs and sprouts.

bloodredcherrymonster Sat 31-Oct-09 13:20:34

we are having goose this year, my sister is getting it from the local farm shop, and that is her contribution to christmas food (she is staying ver xmas), i am bored of turkey and not had it for about 4 years now

PoppyIsApain Sat 31-Oct-09 13:27:50

It doesnt really matter what you eat, its just meant to be spending special time round the table with family smile
I would personally be happy with egg and chips but db loves turkey and my ds (16 months) would be better off with a roast then chips grin

CybilLiberty Sat 31-Oct-09 13:47:33

I've cooked really nice organic chicken before and that was miles nicer than your average turkey. Turkey is def over rated

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 31-Oct-09 13:51:04

We never have turkey. I never had it growing up (my dad hated it), so it's not really associated with Christmas for me.

We have roast beef and all the trimmings.

When it was just DH and me, when the children were little, we would have fillet of beef, roasted in a piece.

Beef Welington would be another dish that's easy to prepare.

Anifrangapani Sat 31-Oct-09 13:55:05

We do a slow roast duck - put a glaze of marmalade ( saville orange) on it stuff it with apple and onion stuffing, a few oranges cut in half around it. Throw a few cloves and star annise around and some whole garlic cloves.... pop in the oven cook the spuds and vege when you get back from the pub.

BobbingForPeachys Sat 31-Oct-09 14:01:36

Last year we had salmon en croute. Itwas goung to be venison this year, but ds2 wasdesperte for turkey so we gave in as a once of.

We've also ddefected toWaitreoseastheir pudsare better )I( make Christmas pud, buy in therest) and they deliver

LunarSea Sun 01-Nov-09 21:07:44

donnie - frozen geese about £18.99 from Lidl (page 10). We've had these every Christmas (not necessarily Christmas day) for the last 3 years. Other interesting options there - in store from tomorrow - include venison and ostrich.

And Aldi do a 3 Bird Roast (a duck in a chicken in a turkey, with stuffing in the middle!!) which was (I think) £9.99 last year

stinkypinky Mon 02-Nov-09 19:31:20

LunarSea I second Aldi and Lidl. Had 3 bird roast last year. Smashing. Going for goose crown this year (from Lidl) about £10.

Phoenix4725firestarter Tue 03-Nov-09 08:00:32

this year is just me and the dc and decided sod it and going have what we want, for ds1 thats roast dinner of some kind , Ds2 and ds3 want curry and rice .Will amke curry night before and dd will have plain chicken and rice and will be microwave rice and boxing day we are just going have pizza.Simple plain boating maybe but least know be eaten and enjoyed

donnie Tue 03-Nov-09 21:45:33

lunarsea - sorry, have only just read this page - thanks for that link to lidl, I am definitely interested in their goose!! M and S are taking the mich with £70, IMO.

BikeRunSki Tue 03-Nov-09 21:48:18

We always have Mexican. We get one of those Old El Paso kits, lots of sides and build our own tacos/nachos/burritos etc.

Then Christmas pud of course. We are not completely untraditional!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now