Talk

Advanced search

Ok - so does this keyboard exist ...?

(21 Posts)
Plonker Fri 30-Oct-09 11:09:44

When I was a child, my parents bought me a keyboard which had lights on the keys that lit up. You followed the lights to learn how to play the song. I loved this keyboard!!!

I have searched for something similar but can only find similar to this, which is way out of my price range!

The one I had, had little red lights (like a dot) on top of the keys (the keys themselves didn't light up) and tbh we were never flushed so there's no way my parents could have bought something expensive.

Now granted, I had this toy some 20+ years ago, but surely there must be something similar???

Any ideas? ...or am I totally barking up the wrong keyboard?

silverfrog Fri 30-Oct-09 11:13:47

I've not seen an actual keyboard, but my dds have a couple of books with keyboards integrated which do this. Ladybird ones, i think. Hang on , i'll have a look.

here is one, and they also have the Christmas one.

only good if your dc are small, but they do a range of 8 or 10 songs/nursery rhymes which play through once and then you follow the dots to play it yourself.

makes a nice intro to the concept, and will watch with interest as to whether anyone else finds a proper keyboard which does this.

alwayslookingforanswers Fri 30-Oct-09 11:14:08

what sort of age is it for? Do you need a "full size" keyboard or would a shorter one be ok?

Plonker Fri 30-Oct-09 11:41:46

Hmmm, I have a 9yo and a 6yo - one that would suit both would be brill.

It doesn't have to be a full-size one. It's not something that they've asked for, it's just something that I reckon they'd like and so would I

Thanks silverfrog, but I don't think that will be 'old' enough for them, thanks anyway smile

NotQuiteCockney Fri 30-Oct-09 11:44:47

We have one a bit like this. I don't think my kids have played music that much with it, but it does have that options. Pretty sturdy, too.

Plonker Fri 30-Oct-09 11:54:38

Thanks NotQuiteCockney - my 6yo would like that!
I'm not sure it's right for my 9yo though <awkward>

silverfrog Fri 30-Oct-09 12:20:36

sorry, def wouldn't be suitable for those ages smile

tbh, at those ages, I'd be tempted to go with a colour coding system - small dots coloured per note, or even small stickers with the note names, and the same on the music.

so like the books I linked too, but without the lights.

most keyboards have arecord function, I think, so you could play the tune through and record for them to have a sample to listen to, and then away they go with the stickers/colours and music?

titchy Fri 30-Oct-09 13:33:55

How about this?

Plonker Fri 30-Oct-09 13:37:37

Thats great titchy, but still a bit over my budget sad

Thanks anyway

titchy Fri 30-Oct-09 13:49:00

this one?

Plonker Fri 30-Oct-09 14:03:13

Do those keys light up titchy? I can't quite work it out ...

titchy Fri 30-Oct-09 14:05:14

Don't know - but doesn't look like it...

apostropheisback Fri 30-Oct-09 14:07:32

At 6 and 9 they've got a decent chance of learning to read music, with a bit of effort. Why don't you get them a normal keyboard and a starter piano book.

Plonker Fri 30-Oct-09 15:50:39

I know what you're saying apostrophe, but it's not the children that have asked for the keyboard - it's more to do with me remembering how much I loved mine and thinking that they would love something similar smile

BlurredBoundaries Fri 30-Oct-09 16:09:35

There's one on Gumtree here.

Aimsmum Fri 30-Oct-09 16:24:26

Message withdrawn

Aimsmum Fri 30-Oct-09 16:29:37

Message withdrawn

Plonker Fri 30-Oct-09 16:32:18

OMG Aimsmum - Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I adored it!!

lol at Greensleeves - that was my favourite tune!! ...and edelweiss grin

Plonker Fri 30-Oct-09 16:34:39

Thanks blurred, that looks a good price smile

Aimsmum Fri 30-Oct-09 16:36:38

Message withdrawn

Plonker Fri 30-Oct-09 16:38:03

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now