Talk

Advanced search

Do you give presents between the adults in your family/friends?

(17 Posts)
Frrrightattendant Mon 26-Oct-09 18:58:33

I'm wondering if we are in fact normal or not.

Up till this year we have always done presents between me, my sister, my parents etc etc and also my best friend

However my parents decided last year that it ought to be one present each, and I don't think they ever really liked the things I got them anyway, so it became a bit of a farce really...I just said look, I am 35, I feel too old for this, can we just stop worrying about it and get presents for the children...they agreed but Mum kept saying she felt odd mot getting me anything, but tbh I never liked the things she got me either!

Friend and I have agreed children at Christmas and each other for birthdays, but I don't have a present from anyone else on my b'day now either as I hate birthdays/family combination so it is better for me that way - lovely to have friend remember it though as she knows what I like and it feels special smile

I just feel silly having to sit and open presents at my age at Christmas. And though I always liked shopping for others it feels a relief not to have to worry about it.

What does everyone else do? I will prob still send my sis and her wife something as we fell out last yr and I want to try and make up with her...and maybe chocs for my granny. But mainly it's just going to be about the children here.

MarthaFarquhar Mon 26-Oct-09 19:02:25

DH's family does, but DD is the only young child, so it would be a little unfestive if no-one else exchanged presents. My sisters all have DC though, so on my side we just buy for the kids.

I don't exchange presents with friends - we go for a meal instead.

Sagacious Mon 26-Oct-09 19:05:03

We used to
Then credit crunch hit so we're doing secret Santa (£10 max) for all grownups and usual presents for the children.

malovitt Mon 26-Oct-09 19:06:51

I just buy for my own children and nephews/nieces.

Didn't receive a single present for myself last year - it was fab.

MrsJohnDeere Mon 26-Oct-09 19:10:51

I asked my parents not to give me gifts (mainly because they buy awful tat that I just throw away or freecycle, and it seems so wasteful). I still have to give them presents because my mother expects it and would go into a dreadful huff.

Don't buy for any other adults other than dh. Makes life so much easier and it seems so pointless buying things for people that they don't really want or need.

Danthe4th Mon 26-Oct-09 19:14:34

No we stopped buying adult presents after I had children, its great we just buy for the children and the children buy a small present for grandparents usually something theyve made.The grandparents buy for the children and thats it, I haven't bought for my sister since we both had children, it makes life much simpler. We can all afford it but don't feel it necessary.
Didn't go down too well with dh family as they thought it a bit weird, but then my mil always irritated me by buying a present and handing over the receipt in an envelope 'just in case you want to change it dear', so I told her not to bother,lol.

Frrrightattendant Mon 26-Oct-09 19:16:13

Oh am relieved to know it isn't frowned upon! Thanks guys.

I am relieved not to have to deal with the feeling that nobody (family I mean) actually understands me enough to buy something I will use/like. It always depresses me quite badly!

I tried asking for socks last year, which I would use and thought nobody could get wrong, and Mum (bless her for trying) got me about 8 pairs, but even then only two or three of them fitted! Tis time to stop I think.

cat64 Mon 26-Oct-09 19:17:38

Message withdrawn

mwahahahamwahahahallyroger Mon 26-Oct-09 19:21:27

If I had loads of money, I'd buy small presents for everyone - I love giving presnets. Sadly, we have been scarily skint for 4 months now. I have made individual xmas cakes and sloe gin and will make truffles nearer the time, that thiose will be the only presents I can give to adults this year. I have some very close friends who are almost family, so always get them something.
I don't care about things for myself - though if family insist, I will ask for gardening vouchers, seeds, nice edible things or book tokens.

piscesmoon Mon 26-Oct-09 19:26:42

No-we stopped years ago and we only do children up to 18yrs. DH and I do each other and we do our parents. We stopped because it was silly, we were buying things for the sake of buying and often it wasn't what the person wanted.

RubysReturn Mon 26-Oct-09 19:42:54

I buy for my sisters and their husbands and my dear friends. We all tend to consult, sometimes collaborate and choose something they will actualy enjoy.

This seemed especially important when one of them was single parent - otherwise she had nothing sad.

Other fiends tend to be given a small gesture - chocs or flowers

KEAWYED Mon 26-Oct-09 19:46:02

Me, DH, 2 brothers, SIL, dad and mum do a secret santa.

We get someone to draw names out of a hat and we spend £25 on that person.

It works brilliant.

HouseOfHorrorMum Mon 26-Oct-09 19:58:15

We have a close group of 3/4 couples - instead of buying gift sets/CDs that we don't need for the adults we agreed a couple of years back to just set a date and all get together without kids for a meal at a pub/restaurant instead. We buy for each others' kids, there is one couple without kids that we buy something for as they buy for our brood.

We buy a token gesture for DH's parents, I buy more for my mum as she is on her own and I'm an only child.

StephHaydock Mon 26-Oct-09 20:00:25

Nope. Under 16s only. Buy a small gift for whoever's hosting it and shedloads of wine/food all round.

iwantitnow Mon 26-Oct-09 21:22:37

I tried to suggest no adult presents this year but in at DH's family agreed. So I've decided all adults are getting a book each, at least if they dont like the present then I've only wasted £6 or less and limited time.

pointyhat Mon 26-Oct-09 21:26:35

It is silly. I'd rather not give presents to all the adults but I know the gps wouldn't want to stop so we carry on.

kimlouiseb Mon 26-Oct-09 21:27:05

I don't but Xmas presents for any of my friends, we do birthday presents though.

Family wise - we have been doing Secret Santa for adults for a few years now - with each person creating a wishlist of things they might like. Works brilliantly!
This year I've found a website that does the whole secret santa organising for you. Its great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now