Talk

Advanced search

Can you get wooden track which is compatible with the die-cast Take Along Thomas trains?

(12 Posts)
amazonianwoman Mon 26-Oct-09 10:37:12

DS has about 20 die-cast Thomas trains which he's obsessed with, but they don't fit the wooden track we have (Ikea + inherited old Brio stuff) He finds it frustrating that he can't make them roll along properly hmm - obviously the be all and end all of a 2.7yr old's life hmm

I've seen plastic Take Along tracks but would prefer wooden. Anyone know if any brands are compatible? I'm not investing £££ in new wooden Thomas trains when he has a huge metal/plastic collection already!

Thanks

Tommy Mon 26-Oct-09 10:39:42

hmm....was going to suggest that any of them are compatible with Brio (except Ikea which seems to be on its own)

I don't know the Thomas take along (surprised emoticon after 3 DSs and a whole loft full of Brio stuff!)

amazonianwoman Mon 26-Oct-09 10:47:47

Take along Thomas stuff

The wheels are too close together for the track we have!

islandofsodor Mon 26-Oct-09 11:04:19

I don't think any of the wooden track is compatible. You can run Trackmaster trains on wooden track (but not vice versa)

gingerbunny Mon 26-Oct-09 11:07:34

don't get the take along track, it's awful, it doesn't stay together, causing hours of frustration and upset. My 3 year old would rather play with them on his wooden set where they don't fit properly than the take along stuff.

girlywhirly Mon 26-Oct-09 16:25:41

When DS was small, he used to push his die-cast Thomas and other engines around on a road and rail carpet which his grandparents bought him for his bedroom. It's more usual to find these rugs with just roads on. I think they bought it in a carpet shop! I don't know whether this would be an acceptable compromise for your DS.

girlywhirly Mon 26-Oct-09 16:43:28

Look at giant rail playmat on Amazon, it's about £30. There is one that has mostly roads but some rail lines on it too, if he likes little cars, or may like them more in the future.

amazonianwoman Mon 26-Oct-09 22:29:01

Right won't get the flimsy plastic track! I love the railway playmat and the fact you can overlay it with wooden track - think DS would love that too, so thanks smile

girlywhirly Tue 27-Oct-09 08:09:03

Glad to help! The playmat will be more versatile and durable.

warthog Tue 27-Oct-09 08:12:09

i don't get the point of these stupid take-along- trains at all! i bought a couple by mistake. dd1 never plays with them because they're too small.

what a total waste of money.

PfftTheMagicDragon Tue 27-Oct-09 08:17:54

When we were first getting into wooden track I mistankenly bought take-along trains angry

amazonianwoman Tue 27-Oct-09 13:11:19

Unfortunately (for our redundant wooden track) DS loves them - just sitting looking at them all lined up right now! Apart from not fitting the track, I don't think they're too small. Unlike the little wind up ones, which really were a waste of money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now