Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what to get my parents?

(10 Posts)
scottishmummyofone Sun 25-Oct-09 15:18:13

Stuck for what to buy my parents. I wasn't actually going to get them anything and just concentrate on my DD (especially as we dont have much money!) but now mum says that's 'not fair'...hmm

dont know what to get them that's quite cheap but doesn't look cheap lol

my mum is fussy about presents - no flowers, no chocolates, no vouchers, she doesn't like gardening, reading or cooking although she IS really into cleaning, could give aggie and kim a run for their money.

My dad's into playing his guitar, music and alcohol.

I'm not allowed to let them buy something and give them the money back. My mum is being fussy about how we 'must' get her a present to open but it has to be the right present or she will sulk. She got perfume last year and that went down ok.

any ideas please?

slimeoncrazydemon Sun 25-Oct-09 15:39:53

Message withdrawn

twinklytoes Sun 25-Oct-09 16:11:58

we go for pressies from the grandchildren rather than us. now they are older we'll get them to choose but in the early days we bought something to make from baker ross - teatowel print, handprint plaque etc. tacky but its the thought that counts wink

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sun 25-Oct-09 16:19:06

I was going to suggest one of those handpring thingies, my mum has a plate and a mug I think.

Or a plate or mug your DD has decorated if she's a bit older.

Or if your DD is school age a school photo in a frame. That went down well with my parents last year.

scottishmummyofone Sun 25-Oct-09 16:30:34

nope, got handprint thingie for mum's birthday last year. Mum wasn't impressed. sigh

not sure about the hamper idea either. She's just SO fussy. I'd rather not get her anything but that wont go down well either!

cleanandclothed Sun 25-Oct-09 16:33:03

How about a calendar with photos of all the family? Truprint do nice ones and they are 50% off at the moment?

BobbingForPeachys Sun 25-Oct-09 16:50:29

Can't it just be pefume again? You can get nice ones like Jo Malone on ebay for half the price easily enough. Likewise nice bath oils and lotions from there. maybe fancy soap and hand cream, really fancy rubber gloves in a box all labelled up as a hand care kit? my MIL is a cleaning nut and would like that.

scottishmummyofone Sun 25-Oct-09 20:25:04

oh I like that last idea, thank you x

Takver Sun 25-Oct-09 20:37:15

Or a magazine subscription? You can get them very reasonably if you have Tescos vouchers.

Sadly the reason I know this is that my Mum does it, hence why am reading this thread in search of inspiration!!! My need is for two presents that are neither unhealthy (mum has blood pressure problems) nor take up any space . . .

twolittledarlings Sun 25-Oct-09 21:02:00

What about a nice apron as she likes cleaning? You can get lots of nice designs nowadays, or a voucher at her hair dressers? (if they do any that is)

Or maybe a nice water bottle. Again, there are all different sorts. Last year other than two different types of water bottle I got for my mum, one that wraps round her waist with the bottle on her back as she suffers from back ache, I also got her a fluffy home boot slippers that she can wear whilst watching tv in the evenings, a nice fluffy nightgown, a woolly hat, gloves and scarf set and a nice warm jumper plus her favourite face cream.

Just a few ideas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now