Talk

Advanced search

what do i buy for 13 & 17 year olds that i have never met before?

(14 Posts)
nancy75 Sun 25-Oct-09 10:41:23

dp's family are coming to us for xmas from australia, its his dad, stepmum and half? brother(17) and sister(13) dp didn't grow up with them and hasn't seen them for 7 years, i have never met them. i want to get them nice xmas presents but have no idea what 17 and 13 year old like. i know the boy likes football - help me!

luciemule Sun 25-Oct-09 10:44:52

Hmmm very tricky. I know they're not as nice to open, but what about music/dvd vouchers. It's so hard for both of those ages - something signed from a team he likes?
13 yr old girl - a gift voucher for a nail bar?

nancy75 Sun 25-Oct-09 10:46:11

gift vouchers are a no no - they live in australia so wont be able to use them!

bamboobutton Sun 25-Oct-09 10:46:56

thinking back to my own teenagehood i would say cold hard cash in a nice card.

then they can buy stuff they really like and you won't have spent money on a possible hated present.

Bucharest Sun 25-Oct-09 10:49:09

My step-nephews are 14 and 11 and have been getting iTunes vouchers for the past 3 yrs. (requested by them)
Step niece gets Boots vouchers or make up gift sets (aged 14)

choufleur Sun 25-Oct-09 10:50:30

iTunes vouchers. can use them anywhere as you use them online.

how much do you want to spend?

nancy75 Sun 25-Oct-09 10:53:15

about £30 each. i would really like to buy them a gift rather than vouchers, they are going to be here on xmas day and probably wont have much to open as they wont have brought all the gifts with them from australia.

nancy75 Sun 25-Oct-09 10:54:56

i had thought nice make up bag and bubble bath type stuff for the 13 year old ( i dont think she wears make up) but the boy i just dont have a clue!

somewhathorrified Sun 25-Oct-09 11:06:27

you may like to get them a nice pressie, but remember that they have to get this stuff back to Oz (weight restrictions and all that). So I'd suggest braclets or watches etc.

MissAnneElk Sun 25-Oct-09 11:21:43

Football shirt for the boy? Even if he's not the type to wear it as everyday wear, he could wear it when doing sports.

Maybe jewellery for the girl. Do you know if she has pierced ears? I probably wouldn't buy the bubble bath type stuff mainly because it could be an issue for packing to go home - unless they are here for a while anyway.

To be honest I'd find this an almost impossible task without knowing them. I have two teen girls and they are both very different. The younger one likes make up - older one hates it...

OurLadyOfPerpetualBloodSucker Sun 25-Oct-09 11:39:13

If the boy likes rugby, there are some really striking and good quality team shirts around.

My boy has a Stade Francais one which is gorgeous and he wears it to go out.

For the girl, what about something crystal?

Small and pretty, maybe something to hang in her bedroom, slices of crystal rather than those naff animal shapes, or a teardrop shape to hang in the window and make rainbows when the sun shines in.

pointyhat Sun 25-Oct-09 11:46:47

You need to find out more about the 17 year old boy if you want to buy him a present, otherwise I don't see how you can choose well.

luciemule Sun 25-Oct-09 14:26:45

aha - for the 17yr boy,why don't you get a watch/satchel/rash top type thing from Fatface/white stuff? All guys that age love fatface/surfing type stuff and he's from oz so should go down well.

janess404 Mon 26-Oct-09 01:24:57

Do they have face book you could check their interests on there or maybe get some ideas talking to their Dad/Stepmum...

other than that something typically english that they will keep like you might buy a boomerang from australia, london bus, or a nice book about london and maybe some tickets to an attraction for while they are here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now