Talk

Advanced search

What to buy for a moody 14 girl goth type?

(22 Posts)
Concordia Sun 18-Oct-09 23:12:15

It's a niece. We don't know the family well (long story). So I usually resort to buying book tokens etc as that's what i would have wanted at that age. But i think her mum thinks we haven't really bothered.
I asked her one year and ended up spending loads on a computer game - 3 times my budget as it was what she'd asked for. And then i had the problem of upping the siblings budgets too. We really CAN'T do that this year so i don't want to ask again. Any ideas?

Concordia Sun 18-Oct-09 23:13:59

sorry i meant 14 year old

aWitchForLifeNotJustHalloween Sun 18-Oct-09 23:14:56

er, black lippy? grin

no, seriously, does she have an ipod or something that needs bits getting for it? What's your budget - if that isn't a rude question?

lilolilmanchester Sun 18-Oct-09 23:20:44

I would continue to buy a voucher, maybe from a different store, and add a little something you think she would like ("Gothy" eyeliner/gloves/scarf etc). If you are worried about what her mum thinks, get her to help you decide what to buy... tho a friend of mine who is very anti voucher/money for gifts insisted her DD would love anything from TopShop for her birthday. I spent almost an hour in teh shop, she still hated what I bought and didn't like anything else in TS (contrary to her Mum's opinion) so took the refund and went elsewhere... would have been easier to buy a voucher in the first place. Tis an age where you probably can't keep everyone happy tbh. So I give the bulk in cash/voucher and add a token gesture for whatever floats their boat at the time

mummyofprincesses Sun 18-Oct-09 23:21:10

A voucher for itunes or similar?

A nicely bound diary?

Eyeliner?

Gothic gloves and bangles from Claires?

Stripey tights?

Ronaldinhio Sun 18-Oct-09 23:25:22

a sisters cd or maybe some cure for a baby goth???

MegBusset Sun 18-Oct-09 23:28:51

Emily the Strange -- lots of stuff here

Concordia Sun 18-Oct-09 23:31:47

oh, there's some good ideas here thank you. i like the idea of voucher plus little token gift such as gloves.
tempted by the sisters CD (as i would have liked that) but a more risky option
feel embarrassed to admit budget is only £15 really blush due to lots of £15 being spent all over the place by us this xmas

aWitchForLifeNotJustHalloween Sun 18-Oct-09 23:39:07

cor, you're more generous than us, nieces and nephews all get a tenner worth in my neck of the woods... £15 goes a long way on itunes - or on amazon for that matter, where you can get either music downloads or books or whatever your 'thing' is. My mum always gets vouchers and a small token "thingy" like scarves (in her experience, everyone likes scarves...lol) for the generations she doesn't understand wink

lilolilmanchester Sun 18-Oct-09 23:44:52

£15 is plenty enough, actually very generous. Spend £1 - £5 on the token gesture, the rest on a voucher/cash/cheque. If your niece or her parents don't like that, then you're never going to win so don't worry about it - most teenagers would be very happy with this suggestions.

BertieBotts Sun 18-Oct-09 23:59:02

How about a nice notebook or journal for her to write angst-filled poetry/dire song lyrics in? grin Maybe with black pages and a silver gel pen to write in it with.

A CD would be good but probably better if she could choose herself... maybe an iTunes voucher or something? (Only works if she actually has an iPod though)

TheBlairSnitchProject Mon 19-Oct-09 14:12:47

Being a recovering goth myself blush...I would suggest this

Corline is a book by Neil Gaiman who does lots of dark, gothy type writing and graphic novels so he should be sufficiently EMO enough smile but Corline was aimed at a younger audience so you're not going to get in trouble with her Mum for buying her inappropriate stuff.

You could get the DVD and the book for well within your £15 budget...

fillybuster Mon 19-Oct-09 14:15:17

the 'death' series by neil gaiman is also excellent and perfectly safe for 14 yr old consumption (or, to put it a bit differently, i was 14 when i got into the sandman and death graphic novels and i don't think they did me any harm....). or how about an album by the cure or the smiths?

fillybuster Mon 19-Oct-09 14:16:17

ooh, sisters of mercy, definitely, if she hasn't got that. can't go wrong with the temple of love, can you?!

TheBlairSnitchProject Mon 19-Oct-09 14:17:23

Or "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. I love that book even now...grin

TheBlairSnitchProject Mon 19-Oct-09 14:19:13

Depends if she's goth or EMO though. Not sure an EMO would appreciate "sisters" hmm

pointyhat Mon 19-Oct-09 14:30:43

14 year olds are a nightmar to buy for, especially if you don't know them that well.

I'd stick to a voucher of some sort. Maybe with a nice bottle of black nail varnish.

VictoriousSponge Mon 19-Oct-09 14:31:30

a snese of humour?

MilkNoPoisonPlease Mon 19-Oct-09 18:03:37

aah having BEEN a moody goth type 14 year old, a boots voucher could go down well? or a borders/hmv one?

If you want to buy an actual gift then there's a comic strip called "Nemi" (any readers of the Metro newspaper will have seen it!) thats a bit gloomy but pretty good...i love it!

anything nightmare before christmas too!!

£15 is v geberous!!

VictoriousSponge Mon 19-Oct-09 18:04:28

some urban decay glitter eyeliner

or some colleciton 200 stuff

and a tenner

Concordia Mon 19-Oct-09 20:54:35

oh thank you everyone. i think i will do voucher plus little gift - nail varnish, gloves etc - next time (whatever her mum thinks) and have got loads of ideas for the next few xmas / birthdays off this thread.
went on the emily strange website that megbussett suggested and it was just her to a tee. I felt very old and naff for dressing in jeans and a fleece all the time. i have bought a scarf (before i read your post witchforlife lol) this time.

optimisticmumma Mon 19-Oct-09 21:18:16

Sorry if too late but an itunes voucher goes down well with any teenager - you can always put it in a box and wrap that up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now