Talk

Advanced search

which train set for 2 year old ds wooden or plastic thomas set....

(36 Posts)
mum2samandalex Sun 18-Oct-09 21:37:09

he loves trains especially thomas.I like the whole take along thomas idea and it cant be packed away although there seems like too many sets to choose from so i cant decide. DS likes the wooden play table in ELC and pushing the trains along although we have not got enough room for the play table itself. However he wooden set in ELC seems very £££££. Really cant decide and advice???

get the wooden set, but get it from tesco, just as good but not as ££££

cornsilk Sun 18-Oct-09 21:39:07

wooden

inveteratenamechanger Sun 18-Oct-09 21:40:04

wooden - if he gets into it, there are loads of cool bits and bobs you can buy. Ikea also do good value wooden sets, if there is one near you.

brimfull Sun 18-Oct-09 21:40:10

wooden one is fab

ds is 7 and has had it since he was 2,mixture of brio and cheaper ones

great as you can add to it

lasts and lasts and good for reselling

meltedmarsbars Sun 18-Oct-09 21:41:18

Wooden - for the same reasons as above.

Ds is eight, we have only just passed it on, and now have Hornby.

All the brands fit together as far as I know.

LilyBolero Sun 18-Oct-09 21:41:57

Definitely wooden, check supermarkets for special deals.

bellavita Sun 18-Oct-09 21:43:27

Wooden. We have a mixture of Brio and Tesco and you cannot tell the difference. Both boys have used it, we bought the brio one when DS1 was about 2 and added with Tesco. DS2 came along and he still plays with it now aged 10.

AnnieLobeseder Sun 18-Oct-09 21:47:30

Wooden. We got DD1 the basic Thomas one for her 2nd birthday, then the Brio beginner plus new train for her 3rd and the Brio intermediate plus even cooler train for her 4th. So now it's a pretty substatial train set and we all have a great time playing with it, including 19mo DD2!!

Tables are great but really not essential. We don't have room for one, so all the bits live in a plastic tub in the toy drawers and we build the track on the floor. In many ways it's better cos we're not at all restricted on the shape or size of the track, and can get really creative. Building the track is the best part of the game!!

Wooden train sets are a great toy that can be built on every year.

MrsJiggle86 Sun 18-Oct-09 21:56:09

Wooden, and get the thomas the tank wooden trains when they're on offer, my ds loves his mud splattered thomas train smile

TheIggorcist Sun 18-Oct-09 22:02:54

The price difference between the Thomas wooden trains themselves and the metal ones is enormous. (eg wood about £10 more per train). Ds enjoying metal trains and plastic track and very light - though I'm sure he'd be as happy with a wooden one. Anything in the shape of a train, basically grin

onadietcokebreak Sun 18-Oct-09 22:05:02

Another vote for the wooden tesco set

here

frazzled74 Sun 18-Oct-09 22:08:26

i bought the thomas stuff and ds 3 has not really played with it. he has wooden tescos set and wooden asda set, he plays with them every day. I would buy tescos wooden set and a couple of thomas trains to go on it.

snice Sun 18-Oct-09 22:12:15

Wait for Lidl to have their wooden set in a bit nearer Christmas-I recommend it every year on MN. It's compatible with Brio but v.cheap. Contains plenty of track,a bridge, level crossing,station,houses,people,trees and three or four train (one of which is battery powered)

AnnaAndChild Sun 18-Oct-09 22:50:29

Do you think a 2yrold girl would love a wooden train set?

frazzled74 Sun 18-Oct-09 22:55:05

yes , my 6 yr old dd loves ds wooden train set and last christmas i got her a couple of pink girly trains to go on the track.I actually think that girls toys are a bit boring compared to some boys stuff.

crankytwaaaaaahhhhnky Sun 18-Oct-09 22:56:20

I'm having this same dilema. What about the duplo Thomas set?
I'm not sure how long it will last though before too "babyish".

I would buy cheapo wooden tracks and Thomas engines. Are they safe for 2+?

Washersaurus Sun 18-Oct-09 22:57:35

Well, we have a whole giant set of different wooden tracks and trains - Thomas, Brio, Ikea etc and although the boys do play with them (and I prefer them), they tend to play more with the metal Take Along Thomas sets that Grandma buys for them!

The Take Along trains are much much more durable than the wooden ones too - our wooden Thomas trains look like they've had a few too many crashes!

MrsDinky Sun 18-Oct-09 22:59:38

My DD (now 3.5) has been enjoying wooden train set since about 18 months, she also likes Thomas books and has asked for Thomas stickers on her bedroom walls like her brother. We bought a job lot of it 2nd hand, worth looking out for small ads in the paper, supermarket etc. My nieces, now 11 and 9 loved theirs too when they were younger.

Washersaurus Sun 18-Oct-09 23:00:05

There are big Take Along Thomas sets half price on Tesco Direct at the moment too (just to confuse you more)

carocaro Sun 18-Oct-09 23:01:48

Go wooden defo, have two boys and my 2.5 year old is just in love with his Thomas wooden set as his brother, now 7 was, it's still in tip top nick, get thee to ebay as you can get some good 2nd hand stuff, ELC and Toys R Us is expensive but they regularly do 2 4 1 offers, 20% OFF, get on their email newsletters lists for latest details.

Trains totally safe for age.

In fact both of them built the most spectacular track today and it kept them happy for hours! Me and DH were most proud of the bridges. You can get fab features like a station, hill, tunnel etc, you get really hooked!

You must get at least one of the battery operated trains, we have James and he spends hours wooshing round the track keeping them both so happy.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Sun 18-Oct-09 23:02:37

would vote for the wooden one ... we have loads

easy to add to for birthdays extra bridges tunnels etc, cool extra trains..
I think the plastic ones are good but they have a much shorter lifespan

Washersaurus Sun 18-Oct-09 23:03:36

Actually, I should also say that the metal trains DO mostly fit on the wooden track too - our boys mix the sets up all the time as we have more wooden track than plastic.

CyradisTheSeer Sun 18-Oct-09 23:07:06

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now