Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been on the Santa Specials in the Severn Valley Railway?

(8 Posts)
lovelybird Thu 15-Oct-09 19:08:07

and would you recommend it-good santa etc?

We have two boys aged 2.4 and 4.11 and just looking for ideas. the youngest loves trains so thought it may be OK for us.

Any comments gratefully received-thanks

reikizen Thu 15-Oct-09 20:59:32

I have been on a similar one in Manchester and it was absolutely lovely, we are going again this year. Kids loved the trains, the excitement and we loved the mince pie and sherry wink. Santa and his helpers were great and the presents really nice (still being played with). Not too long to get bored - ours were 2 and 4.5 at the time.

kimlouiseb Thu 15-Oct-09 21:05:03

Hi,
Yes we did it 2 years ago.
We got the train from Kidderminster to Bewdley, altough the journey was shortened beacuse it was just after they'd had all the flloding problems. They have a big undercover area set up at the station where you go in to see Father Christmas - the one we saw was lovely and the presents were nice too. They had lots of things going on at the station - school children singing carols, someone dressed up in Rupert bear costume, hot chestnuts etc. We had a wander round and lunch in Bewdley and then got train back.
The kids loved it - very Christmassy!

I don't know whereabouts you are but last year we did something similar with the Churnet Valley train railway (Staffordshire) and that was really good. The train journey was much shorter but Father Christmas came round and gave presents out on the train - adults got little glass of sherry each and mince-pie, was lovely!

Hope this helps.

cazzybabs Thu 15-Oct-09 21:07:19

Yes we did it 3 years ago..and it was good. The presents were really nice too and you could take your own photos..the only slight thing was that when we went the Santa wasn't brilliant - but I guess it depends upon who you get

girlywhirly Fri 16-Oct-09 13:02:35

For children the ages yours are who love trains, it is a fab thing to do. Although many years ago now, we went on the Nene Valley Santa Special (near Peterborough) and it was similar to others described here, trains decorated with balloons and tinsel inside as well.

lovelybird Fri 16-Oct-09 21:27:50

Thanks-sounds like a plan. Kimlouiseb-we're in Stourbridge so not far from SVR. I'll look up the staffs one. Thanks for the comments.

jackieOpaperLANTERN Tue 20-Oct-09 17:42:08

SVR do a trip where santa comes round on the train and talks to all the children, gives out presents etc and the grown ups eat mince pies and eat sherry.

the santa is excellent (actually he's my dad grin)

the one on the train is (i think) better than the one where you get off and q up at arley to see santa ( my dad used to do that one but they told him off for talking to the kids for too long, so he prefers to do the one on the train as he can spend as much time as he likes chatting to all the kids)

am envy if you go tho as i don't think i could convince my dc that grandad was indeed father christmas grin

blowninonabreeze Tue 20-Oct-09 17:47:47

We went last year with DD1 (then 2.8) she loved it - am looking at it again for this year
(although am trying to decide between that and the santa safari at West Midlands safari park - has anyone done that?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now