Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas what to get a nearly 3 year old boy?

(22 Posts)
JodieO Thu 15-Oct-09 12:16:40

My ds2 will be 3 in early Jan and I'm struggling with ideas what to get him for Christmas. I have a couple of ideas but really can't think of something to get. I've got him a peppa pig (he loves it) tea set so far and was thinking of books too. What are you getting yours?

I also have a dd (8 in Feb) and ds1 (6 in a couple of weeks) but I know what I'm getting them.

MinnieMummy Thu 15-Oct-09 12:22:20

My DS is three in three weeks, we're getting him for birthday and/or xmas Little Red Train book(s), Peppa Pig magnet book, poss Jolly Postman (much recommended here) and in terms of toys, a matchbox garage and some cars, a noisy JCB digger and a tractor.

Am thinking of suggesting Pixar/Polar Express dvds to family as he's just getting to the age where he can watch something for longer.

Any of that sound like your DS's kind of thing??

shinybaubles Thu 15-Oct-09 12:29:22

My ds is 3 and a half and will be getting big red fire engine, playmobil garbabge truck, some bits for his take along Thomas and stocking stuff.
By the way we got him Polar Express last year and he loved it. He is also a huge fan of Peppa Pig and last year got the car.

JodieO Thu 15-Oct-09 12:36:49

Thanks MM the books and garage do sound like things he'd like. We've got the polar express and they all loved it last year, well ds2 didn't watch it much hehe.

shiny who makes the big red fire engine? I think he may like that.

I was thinking of maybe getting the peppa pig house for his birthday, see how the tea set goes down. He does love books too so will definitely get some of those.

I love the shirley hughes books, had some when I was little and my older two have a few too.

shinybaubles Thu 15-Oct-09 12:46:10

here I got him this one it's 80 cm and looks solid because I know he will sit on it.

wheresmypaddle Thu 15-Oct-09 12:58:08

Noticed that a lot of the sons mentioned on this thread love Peppa Pig- my DS (2.5) loves Peppa too. Seems a shame that the majority of the stuff seems to be aimed at girls- obviously not a major problem cause he loves the all the pink girlie stuff but I think it would be nice if there was some more boyish stuff available also.

MinnieMummy Thu 15-Oct-09 13:09:17

JodieO I did actually take DS to ToysRUs and then just see what he got most excited about. The aisle with the diggers, tractors and fire engines was definitely the winner!

Oh and train sets are also very, very popular...!

shinybaubles Thu 15-Oct-09 13:10:40

very true wheresmypaddle ds loves peppa pig and it was quite neutral last year but I have noticed this year the merchandise is more aimed at girls - but he is happy with his george pig pj's. His other favourite Mickey Mouse Clubhouse also has loads aimed at girls.

llaregguBOO Thu 15-Oct-09 13:16:44

Another nearly 3 year old boy here who loves Peppa Pig. He also has the Playmobil recycling truck which he plays with endlessly. ANother vote for Jolly Postman too.

I think I'm going to do a dressing-up box for my DS for christmas.

TheApprentice Thu 15-Oct-09 13:24:00

Hi, my ds will be 3 on New Year's Day! We are thinking of getting him a balance bike. Other ideas include jigsaws of any kind (ds loves these), sticker books, and also duplo. Ds has some basic duplo but we may add to it with police/fire station etc sets.

llaregguBOO Thu 15-Oct-09 13:25:15

Oh yes, DS's balance bike has been very popular but do get a helmet as well, we have been terrified watching up wheel down hills at speed!

sazm Thu 15-Oct-09 13:29:26

bike/scooter/garage/playmobil were my sons favs at that age,

JodieO Thu 15-Oct-09 13:53:41

shiny that link didn't seem to work for me

wheresmypaddle I know what you mean, it does seems aimed at girls. My ds1 also used to like Peppa pig, shame I didn't keep the old house he used to have!

MM he has a take along thomas train set which he enjoys and some extra track for that, plus a wooden one which the trains also fit. He's very into cars too, I'll have to have a look for some diggers etc and see what I can fnd.

TA a dressing up box sounds interesting, he does like wearing my shoes lol

Thanks everyone, I'll be looking books and all the things mentioned and see what I can find.

anneke1 Thu 15-Oct-09 14:05:37

My son was three a couple of weeks ago and was given a Brio Flying Scotsman train set which he absolutely adores and has spent lots of time playing with actually so does his 6yr old sister.
Drives me mad however as never seem to be able to get last piece to fit correctly but six year old can !!!

shinybaubles Thu 15-Oct-09 14:10:27

sorry - it's thetoyshop.com and if you put in tonka it comes up with 2 fire engines I got him the bigger one.

frazzled74 Sun 18-Oct-09 22:21:50

ds 3 plays with tesco wooden train set, tonka fire engine and playmobilpirate ship. also loves his fireman sam snap trax set.

SandyChick Mon 19-Oct-09 22:46:27

Hello, my ds will be 2.5 at xmas. I too was stuck on what to get him. I felt like i would just be buying toys for the sake of it which i couldnt justify.

We went to toys r us last week to buy a new duvet and bedroom stuff ans he went mad for all the toys. The little look on his face bless him when he was getting excited. I now understand how parents get carried away just to see the smiles on their dc's faces.

He's asked for a 'maka paka bike'

Have bought him some books already and postman pat mobile phone.

Boots have some really good things on 3for2.

This is whats on his list so far-

Leapfrog fridge phonics
ELC kitchen (his main present)
ELC kettle,sweeping brushes and ironing board
ELC picture pairs, snap cards
bath crayons (postman pat thing from boots)
Paints
Playdoh
Playmobile (thing DH with play with this more than DS!)

The granparents have bought him some fisher price little people stuff, Dressing up outfits and a drum kit hmm

oldraver Thu 22-Oct-09 18:13:16

My DS is a bit older (4 in Jan) and I have bought him a few pieces of Imaginext. They are aged from three and are still nice and chunky for littler hands. Tesco have the Space Shuttle reduced and ToysRUs have the Fire Station reduced

waitingforbedtime Thu 22-Oct-09 22:40:03

DS is 3 on 23rd Dec. For his birthday and Xmas from various people he is getting...

JCB truck for garden
elc shake n go speedway
tower of doom
big wooden fire station from elc

Smaller things he's getting are a cleaning up set (mop, sweeping brush etc), jigsaws, cowboy dress up, hobby horse, lilo and stitch on dvd, some cars and a road playmat, books.

Hope this helps! Its so hard isnt it? I just am trying to convince him now that he needs to get rid of some of his existing toys to make room for the new ones - he is not convinced!! May have to sneak them out whilst he's opening pressies!!!

colditz Thu 22-Oct-09 22:41:30

Wooden train track

selby Thu 22-Oct-09 22:46:28

Nice wooden toy castle in the Asda toy event here

selby Thu 22-Oct-09 22:52:31

My DD is 3 at the end of Jan - I have bought her a wooden balance bike.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now