Talk

Advanced search

Painshill Park grotto

(6 Posts)
LyraSilvertongue Wed 14-Oct-09 09:59:11

Anyone been? What's it like?
I've just booked tickets for December 23 in the early evening so we get to see the lights. It's pretty expensive - £31 for two adults, two children.

LyraSilvertongue Wed 14-Oct-09 10:00:37

Dammit, I only clicked create conversation once ands it's come up three times.

LyraSilvertongue Wed 14-Oct-09 14:09:33

Anyone?

handbagqueen Wed 14-Oct-09 14:21:45

Hi - we went a couple of years ago. If its a nice day you have a lovely walk through the grounds following a map to reach the waiting area - the day we went it was chucking it down with rain - so the walk wasn't so lovely.

You are then at a marquee where you are given a number and can buy drinks and the children are given colouring books while you wait for your number to come up and your audience with Santa.

The day we went we were the next group after lunch so we had to wait outside until the elves had finished their lunch and were ready for us.

Once its your turn you are taken by the elves down a dark wet passage way to a dark cave where you see Santa on his sleigh.
My DD was 5 when we went and she was a bit frightened as it is really dark in there and cold! After your chat with Santa and photo you are given a gift (poundshop type toy) and you leave. You have the lovely walk through the grounds again back to your car.

I can imagine if its a really bright lovely day you can make the most of the walk. It is a real grotto - which soulds magical until you realise its a cold damp cave!!

We've opted for Harrods this year (I stayed up all night to get tickets!).

LyraSilvertongue Wed 14-Oct-09 17:42:16

Thanks handbagqueen. It sounds good. I'm regretting paying an extra £4 per child for the gifts now.
We're going after dark so hopefully the walk through the grounds will be all lit up.

shouldbeironing Wed 14-Oct-09 17:57:59

Went a few years ago. Despite the gift being fairly cheap and cheerful I think you do need to get a gift - most children would expect one and see other children walking to/from with one.

Unless it is raining,the walk is nice - but if you are doing late in the day I would advise to take torches despite the lit pathways - there is the possibility of children running off the trail and if they do, you need to keep a close eye on them as there are hazards such as ponds/lakes etc quite close by.

When we went we took a few of our own snacks for the DC, although they also sell things like tea, mulled wine etc.

Have a vague recollection that it's best to make sure the DC have used the toilet facilities near the entrance to the park - I cant remember what was available near the marquee/Santa. And things may have changed since we went.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now