Talk

Advanced search

Alternative to Operation Xmas Child shoe boxes

(10 Posts)
HammyHamsteristaken Sun 11-Oct-09 19:19:56

Have received leaflet from school encouraging children to do Shoeboxes for Operation Xmas Child (Samaritan's Purse). Am not happy with evangelistic (and other) aspects of this organisation but DD (6) is desperate to do a box. Does anyone know of a similar thing which is less evangelical? Thanks

NyeEve Sun 11-Oct-09 19:20:41

yes there is a food bank locally to us who is doing them and they take them to romanys in bulgaria

PinkPussyCat Sun 11-Oct-09 19:26:22

There was a thread on this recently... will try + find it for you..

PinkPussyCat Sun 11-Oct-09 19:27:55

Here you go

HTHsmile

snickersnack Sun 11-Oct-09 19:33:09

Rotary do it - you buy the box, fill it and they collect it. Not sure if there's a minimum number though.

HammyHamsteristaken Sun 11-Oct-09 19:54:56

It's times like this that i really love mumsnet - thank you for your replies and the link to the other thread. I have decided to talk to one of the school governors about this too.

peacockparty Tue 13-Oct-09 21:59:15

I had no idea about the agenda behind OCC, it puts it all in a very different light. I had wondered before about how economically viable it really was - surely donating directly is more cost-effective...

crokky Tue 13-Oct-09 22:02:31

Is it really so bad? I have half done a shoe box for DS to take in soon for Samaritan's purse. I am going to get more stuff in tescos to finish it off. DS is actually only 3 and in the nursery section of the school, but he does understand that the presents are going to a little boy who otherwise would not have any.

SCARYspicemonster Tue 13-Oct-09 22:03:57

They are evangelical christians crokky who try and convert children. If you're happy with that, then fine but personally it makes me hugely uncomfortable. Lots more info on that thread that pinkpussycat linked to

fabulousfrancesca Tue 13-Oct-09 23:12:07

Our school (catholic) is taking part in OCC this year. I'm not at all comfortable with SP so we won't be taking part but I still wanted her to do the shoebox so she doesn't feel left out. A friend sent me a link to this website, I think we'll do this instead.

http://www.postpals.co.uk/news.php

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now