Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

"Nice" ornaments for the in-laws?

(34 Posts)

After only 4 years of being their dil I have run out of ideas for what to get them for Christmas, DH is useless and is no help whatsoever. He is the man who gave me a cricketing calendar on our first Christmas together blush

The gifts we gave them last year - which I really thought they would like and use as were just updated versions of some stuff they have already, they are still in their boxes untouched

They are in their mid 60s and very old fashioned with it, thinking an ornament may be the way to go this year.

Have you seen any nice ornaments anywhere? DH says get something with a sheep on hmm but I don't think so!

notagrannyyet Fri 09-Oct-09 10:20:19

Asuming you have DC. Why not a framed picture of the GC. Grannies can never have enough photos I'm sure.Failing that how about how about drink or food(homemade?).

Not really into ornaments myself.

barbie1 Fri 09-Oct-09 10:26:06

try here

maybe somthing from the willow tree range

I have DC but they are not my DH's so I doubt that they'd like a pic of spotty teenagers that aren't theirs grin

Thanks for the link Barbie will take a look. I do think Willow Tree is a bit too "modern" for them, they really are old in their ways.

ninedragons Fri 09-Oct-09 11:22:19

In years to come, when I cannot think of a gift, I shall simply think "get something with a sheep on it". Your DH is a genius.

grin

ChilloHippi Fri 09-Oct-09 11:24:15

Pop into TK Maxx and do an 'eeny meeny miney mo' grin

QuintessentialShadowsOfDoom Fri 09-Oct-09 11:25:17

The inlaws gets a professionally done photography ever year. smile

I have so very very many. angry

(blardy school / nursery photo rip offs!)

LaurieFairyCake Fri 09-Oct-09 11:30:21

How about the Fortnum and Mason Christmas Tree bauble - old fashioned, traditional, along with some of their posh biccies.

bauble

nice biccies

notagrannyyet Fri 09-Oct-09 12:01:59

grin I've got spotty teenagers too Strictly. There's plenty of time to make some chutney I think you should give it a go. Why not get DH to make it!

I do have a jar of chutney that I posted about yesterday on the home made food thread, made by someone at his work that I hate, he hates, everyone hates - was going to palm it off ;)
Although food is a bit dodgy due to diabetes/intolerances hmm

TKMaxx, had forgotten that they do various dubious ornamental wotsits, I'll give there a try

girlywhirly Fri 09-Oct-09 14:47:00

What about a vase and some festive flowers to go in it? I think there are lots of florists and Next and M&S do things like this online for delivery if you aren't seeing them over Christmas.

nickelbabe Fri 09-Oct-09 14:54:46

i would go for something consumable, personally.
some nice chocolates, chutneys, jams: make up a hamper maybe.

or a Good Gift.

WinkyWinkola Fri 09-Oct-09 14:55:46

Theatre ticket vouchers?

TheTampaxTeaLady Fri 09-Oct-09 19:03:58

Theatre tickets grin can't see them at theatre grin that's amused me grin sorry you would have to know them lmao!

A vase, now that's a good one, thank you

Good Gift?

morningpaper Fri 09-Oct-09 19:06:50

a sheep on hahahaha

I bought these for friends last year and I really wish I'd bought them for myself. I wrapped each one like a sweet in coloured tissue paper and put them in a small round 'hat-box'. It was great.

morningpaper Fri 09-Oct-09 19:07:05

sorry these

bellabelly Sat 10-Oct-09 01:19:13

I saw this advertised in one of Sundayapers recntlyand couldn't quite believe my eyes. Doyour PILs like cuckoo clocks? Do they like steam trains? If so, it's the (expensive) answer to your prayers.... grin

bellabelly Sat 10-Oct-09 01:21:33

Cheaper but equally bonkers lavish, you could try this?

WhereYouLeftIt Sat 10-Oct-09 01:32:29

I always try to buy 'consumable' items for adults - chocolates, alcohol, extravagant tidbits, tins of exotic biscuits, etc. Flowers and scented candles come under this heading too. Basically, whether they liked it or not they feel under no obligation to have it on display when I'm next at their house, because it will have been eaten/drunk/wilted and died/burned.

Cowwomanmoo Sat 10-Oct-09 02:53:59

For mine,a Hand grenade, pin optional.

notagrannyyet Sun 11-Oct-09 04:02:18

bellabelly...My MIL would have bought something just like those for herself. You wouldn't believe the tat we cleard out of her place. Decorative plates, tankards, etc
and enough reader's digest books, CDs, and videos to stock a shop.

DesperateHousewifeToo Sun 11-Oct-09 15:58:54

Toby Jug?

How about some already planted bulbs in a pot?

Or something 'garden' themed? Garden centre gift voucher, his'n'hers matching fleeces, water feature?

Magazine subscrition? Readers digest, Radio Times, Heat hmm?!

Can you tell I'mreally scraping the barrel? grin

I think edible gifts the way to go, as suggested above. Make your own hamper - digstive biscuits, tea, flask (not with tea in it of course!

RubysReturn Sun 11-Oct-09 16:02:16

Buy one of these www.lazyboneuk.com/products/Animal-Coo-Clocks-.html

A clock that says baaaaaa on the hour has got to be a winner imo

DH thinks they'd like the egg.

have been looking on Amazon for sheep inspired things and found this grin very tempted...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now