Talk

Advanced search

Stocking fillers - help needed

(15 Posts)
Ceebee74 Fri 09-Oct-09 08:19:30

This is the first year I need to do a 'proper' stocking (DS1 will be 3.5).

I could really do with ideas of what kind of things you put in stockings and also where are the best shops to find stocking fillers?

My mum used to do us fantastic stockings full of lots of lovely small stuff but I can't imagine being able to find such good stuff (and where do I get the time??)

girlsyearapart Fri 09-Oct-09 08:23:10

stickers, pencils, a comic/magazine, choc coins, a satsuma,socks, a yo yo..

Try places like Wilkos or the Pound shop for little bits.

ELC have some glow stars for fairly cheap too.

sleepwhenidie Fri 09-Oct-09 08:25:31

Letterbox have a great selection of bits for stockings or party bags, between about £2 and £10. Think there may even be a mumsnet discount if you check shopping/discount page.

Feenie Fri 09-Oct-09 08:27:49

Harper's Bazaar has lots of good pocket money toys.

sleepwhenidie Fri 09-Oct-09 08:28:33

sorry - just checked and no discount (why not??) but worth checking it out here

timmette Fri 09-Oct-09 11:52:43

Have just got some online from Hawkins Bazaar, and will suplement with satsumas a few chocs, a few little Thomas Trains and or little hot wheels cars, a new toothbrush, and some bath squirters mickey mouse ones or finding nemo. My ds will be 3.9 at Christmas.

Feenie Fri 09-Oct-09 19:20:26

Hawkin's Bazaar, that's what I meant! <slaps forehead>

Ceebee74 Fri 09-Oct-09 19:51:35

Thanks for the ideas - will go and check out the websites you have suggested now smile

Cadelaide Fri 09-Oct-09 19:55:33

Remember, start as you mean to go on. This is the year you set the benchmark, the total spend will only go up from here on. grin

Cadelaide Fri 09-Oct-09 19:57:01

Actually, ignore the grin, I really mean what I just said. It's hard to scale down when your DCs are older, they remember.

robberbutton Fri 09-Oct-09 20:04:55

Am desperately trying to cut down on the amount of crappy plastic toys we have lying around, so would def. recommend things to eat, stickers, either stuff that won't last very long or a small part of a set that your DC already plays with (i.e. lego, but he might be too young). I like books on CD at the moment.

Northernlurker Fri 09-Oct-09 20:08:21

socks

crayons/pencils

a book

I put wellies in dd1's once

a special Christmas decoration to put on the tree

bath toys or a sponge/flannel

hat and/or gloves and/or scarf

scarybiscuit Fri 09-Oct-09 20:50:38

I dont know if your lil one would like this but i put in tumbled/polished stones from ebay last year- they were a real hit with my DD

Triggles Sat 10-Oct-09 09:21:38

We're starting with stockings this year with DS (he's 3). The plan is to put in necessary or useable fun, items. Such as:

- toothbrush (character)
- socks (character)
- flashcards

Still have to think of a few more items. But I agree it's very much a "start as you mean to go on" thing. We're determined that it will not be a stocking full of cheap plastic tat and junk just to fill the stocking. Will have to put some thought into it.

chimchar Sat 10-Oct-09 09:27:18

we have 3dc. i always try to put in usable things to avoid the tat building up...

stickers
toothbrush
novelty/character toothpaste
sweets
bubble bath
flannel (those little expanding ones are fun for two minutes!)
character socks/pants
choccies
pens/pencils/rubber/pencil sharpener
notebook
shop bought cheapie party bag

i get everything from cheap shops...pondland, home bargains, aldi/lidl great for chocolates

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now