Talk

Advanced search

Is it just me who dislikes being given home made things to eat?

(48 Posts)
FlightAttendant Thu 08-Oct-09 18:12:36

It probably is

but some jar of anonymous preserve comes home from the school tombola and I just regard it with suspicion then label it up for his teacher instead.

Is it just me? I do not like the idea of non inspected premises grin especially when people say 'Oh well ds was sick last week so he was at home with me and we made these'

hmm

Tombliboobs Thu 08-Oct-09 18:21:29

No, I am the same blush

traceybath Thu 08-Oct-09 18:23:17

Me too. Fussy emoticon.

Dumbledoresgirl Thu 08-Oct-09 18:25:17

Do you buy/eat cakes made by others? In my children's school, each class does a cake sale during the year - so 7 each year. They are very popular and my children always want me to buy 5 for £1. I try very hard to let them choose for themselves but it is tempting to nip in and get the obvious shop bought cakes some people donate, rather than the squishy cakes clearly made by some 6 year old child. grin

SixtyFootDoll Thu 08-Oct-09 18:25:36

I will eat anything

BobbingForPeachys Thu 08-Oct-09 18:25:55

Dopeople really say that? Wow, I woudl reptend otherwise and lie wink

We just have a chocolate tombola, big bars, small bars and boxes. Much easier.

have to say though given how much boiling preserves take, I think they'd be OK LOL

pipsy76 Thu 08-Oct-09 18:52:41

ok, so we are sure the people making the processed food in the factories don't spit in it then!

colditz Thu 08-Oct-09 18:54:00

PMSL

I have worked in all manner of food premises. I would FAR rather eat home made grin

FlightAttendant Thu 08-Oct-09 18:54:08

Peachy do not lie!!! shock I need the truth!

Pipsy, you have just brought that thought out of its storage place RIGHT at the back of my mind. Cheers grin

FlameWithTooManyHormones Thu 08-Oct-09 18:54:37

No homemade is allowed at our school any more after "incidents" with cakes (hmm imagine away)

It is a shame tbh

I eat anything.

colditz Thu 08-Oct-09 18:55:10

I once worked with a girl who noticed a girl had come into the restaurant who used to bully her (colleague) at school. She spat in the lettuce!

FlightAttendant Thu 08-Oct-09 18:55:30

Flame shock <boak>

'incidents'?

FlameWithTooManyHormones Thu 08-Oct-09 18:56:15

I think some may have had non legal ingredients, and others just came from families that just one glance and you wouldn't eat em....

FlightAttendant Thu 08-Oct-09 18:56:17

<ignoring Colditz>

actually I am never horrible, so nobody would spit in my frozen moussaka from Tesco would they.?

DiamondHead Thu 08-Oct-09 18:58:31

I did once read about someone who bought a ready meal pizza. The peppers on the top spelled 'Fuck Off'. I quite liked that one.

bran Thu 08-Oct-09 19:01:44

I'll always remember the home-made toffee that my cousin made for our family when I was a child. It was the best fire-lighter ever, just a couple of pieces would burn brightly for ages and get a good fire going really quickly. wink

Guad Thu 08-Oct-09 19:04:43

LOL at the pizza

I try and buy the neater looking cakes at least, one that looks like it hasn't been made by a child.

My friend only buys her own ones back.

Squishabelle Thu 08-Oct-09 19:12:51

I have heard some terrible things that go on in food factories. Think home made might be safer. TBH I think that some people can be a bit ridiculous with their opinion of home made items.

thisisyesterday Thu 08-Oct-09 19:13:23

lol i always eat home-made stuff.
agreewith previous posters about notknowing what is in shop-bought stuff.

Guad Thu 08-Oct-09 19:14:46

I like nice looking homemade things, but I tend to avoid the ones with thumbprints in the hundreds and thousands. grin

FlightAttendant Thu 08-Oct-09 19:18:05

No I am very evry OCD about stuff like this though

I admit it is not normale grin

SixtyFootDoll Thu 08-Oct-09 19:19:51

i know someone who usedd to work in the factory that made ready meals for Marks, needless to say dont buy any.
nad we live near a biscuit factory - I have heard some interesting stories form there.
I would rther hhome made and tbh the people that go to the effort of baking cakes for school cant imaginea re the sort of people that would cut their toe nails in them.

piscesmoon Thu 08-Oct-09 19:30:26

I buy cakes from the cake stall if I know who has baked them, or if it is so beautifully made and packaged that I just feel that someone who has gone to all that trouble must have a very clean kitchen and hands.

piscesmoon Thu 08-Oct-09 19:31:56

I think that anyone who has worked in the factory avoids the produce-I know someone who won't eat Mr Kipling cakes for that very reason.

BobbingForPeachys Thu 08-Oct-09 19:33:12

Yep, Dad won't go anywhere near anything processed and amde of chicken

Neither will I after what he told me <<boak>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now