Talk

Advanced search

This year I will have a calm Christmas...

(12 Posts)
scattyspice Mon 05-Oct-09 12:46:35

I will not:

Obssess over buying the perfect present for everyone.
Demand that my kids make homemade decorations and cards (and enjoy it).
Try and fit in every Christmas activity (Santa's grotto, panto etc).
Promise every relative that we will visit.
Try to accomodate everyones needs and requirements on the day itself.
Buy too much food.
Drink too much blush.

What else...

scattyspice Mon 05-Oct-09 12:59:37

Nor will I try to have new christmassy outfits for everyone and new PJs.

MrsBadger Mon 05-Oct-09 13:02:24

I am going to have a serene Christmas because I will be 8m pg...

[hollow laugh]

scattyspice Mon 05-Oct-09 15:03:51

Thats lovely MrsB smile. Everyone loves pregnant ladies (or should that be Great with Child) at Christmas.
Perhaps I should pretend to be Pg, then I won't have to run round like a headless chicken hmm.

MrsBadger Mon 05-Oct-09 15:06:43

grin

if she's early I'll be a dead cert for Mary in the nativity play at church...

LaDiDaDi Mon 05-Oct-09 15:08:29

I will have a tiny newborn so I'm not sure it will be calm. I'm already feeling uptight a the thought of my dm and dmil trying to be "helpful" on Xmas Day and actually just irritating the hell out of me.

I'm going to be very firm with my plan for no Christmas lunch. We will not be going to anyone else's home and whilst parents and pil are welcome to visit us they can do so only if they understand that refreshments will be alcohol and a sandwich with a bought mince pie. I will not be cooking and I will not be allowing anyone else to stress me by cooking in my kitchen!!!

God, I sound like a right cow but I'm not honestly smile.

scattyspice Mon 05-Oct-09 15:46:21

Now you two are making me broody.

LaDiDa - If you have other children, you may be glad of the ILs to entertain them for a while. Better still get them to bring their own refreshments smile.

This year I am going to ban mention of Father Xmas and TV with adverts until at least Dec, DC are planning their Xmas wishlists already shock.

Starbear Mon 05-Oct-09 16:26:46

Oh! I need help, I think I'm the relative that causes the tension! shock
My sister is JW, brother in Canada, baby brother goes with the flow (no family yet) & DH likes Christmas our way, not his Mil way. This causes tension for Mum as she would like Christmas dinner at her house. But we can't stay over and it means one of us can't drink. She hates it at my house as she can't be the earth mother anymore! Help!

LaDiDaDi Mon 05-Oct-09 18:10:37

Oh yes scatty I will be glad of them helping to entertain dd, what I really ant to avoid is them stressing me by trying to cook a three course meal when dd, dp and me would be happy with a sandwich, Xmas chocs and some fizzy stuff. I reckon that they will think that dd (3.6) will be scarred for life if she doesn't get a full sit down meal.

bigchris Mon 05-Oct-09 18:16:14

cant dp roast a turkey?!

LaDiDaDi Mon 05-Oct-09 18:41:12

He could do but that would just be the catalyst for mil and dm to pitch in and do it all which will not be relaxing!

Might secretly roast turkey on Xmas Eve for cold cuts/sandwiches on Xmas Day.

scattyspice Mon 05-Oct-09 19:26:40

Thats a great idea LaDida, pour hot gravy over it and they'll never know hmm. Its not the cooking but the preparing and washing up thats a pain. Or you could invite them for tea instead (Xmas cake and turkey sandwiches).

Star - The best thing we ever did was to tell the family that we'd prefer to be at home for Xmas Day. Various people come to us at various points (some staying over)and we go and stay with family after Xmas but its much nicer for DC to be at home on Xmas morining. I think Mil would secretly prefer to be hosting it herself but she potters about washing up etc and 'helping' and that keeps her happy.

Also this year I am not going to bust a gut making things 'magical' - I think I overdid it last yr and caused more confusion rather than wonder LOL.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now