Talk

Advanced search

I really want to get excited but feel dismall :(

(8 Posts)
magnolia74 Sun 04-Oct-09 22:31:09

I love Xmas...the snow...church....trees...holly...Xmas carols etc...but its crap. Dh lost his job in july. I thought it would be sorted by now but he is starting a business...will take a while so Xmas a bit dreary this year.

The kids are 14, twins 10, 6 and 3.

What can i do thats cheap, cheerful and fun...

bloodredcherrymonster Sun 04-Oct-09 22:46:41

how about making your own christmas decorations with the kids to put in their bedrooms?

Rachmumoftwo Sun 04-Oct-09 22:47:41

All of the stuff you listed is free, and so is quality family time. Yes, presents are a big part of Christmas but the things you seem to treasure may well be what your children grow up to treasure too. I know it sounds a bit Little Women, but maybe this year you could do more home-made gifts and enjoy the simple pleasures that the festive season brings?

Failing that, get on ebay and flog all the clothes/toys/books etc. you can manage without and raise funds for a few nice pressies!

magnolia74 Sun 04-Oct-09 22:52:11

I am trying ebay but its slow... thinking of making chilli oil for friends but where do i get the pot/jars??

I want to make it really Xmassy for the kids but even the northpole thing near me is £25 each inc adults and kuds sad

bloodredcherrymonster Sun 04-Oct-09 23:55:18

HOW ABOUT BUYING SOME CHEAPO WHITE MUGS FROM ASDA, FILL THEM WITH QUALITY STREETS AND WRAP IN CELLOPHANE WITH A BIT OF PRETTY RIBBON?

lilysam Mon 05-Oct-09 07:56:34

Carol & christingle services and xmas displays at garden centres/shops, xmas fayres at church etc are normally free. Anything happening in your local town like singers, switching the xmas lights on?

I wouldn't dream of spending £25 for a xmas 'experience'....wasn;t there allsorts in the press last year about people being ripped off at things like this??

NCT nearly new sales might have stuff for your youngest....or you could go and sell some of thier stuff they've grown out of.

Given the ages of your older 3, ask them what they fancy doing...

The money aspect should really only effect the presents and extent of food you get for the day itself. Your eldest should be able to understand that extravagance is out for the time being but that you can still have a lovely family xmas...and how many presents do they really need....will they not get loads of family/friends anyway??

Hope this is of some help

girlywhirly Tue 06-Oct-09 12:46:15

You could re-model your existing Christmas decorations. I give old garlands and wreaths a new look by simply changing the ornamentation on them. Look in pound shops for bargain baubles, and also Wilkinson stores.

Gather pine cones to spray gold or silver, they can be tied to a string or ribbon for a garland or attach loops to hang on the tree.

The younger children could do potato print pictures, or use them to make cards for relatives, e.g. a Christmas tree shape can be embellished with coloured sequins as baubles.

Cut out 'snowflakes' from white paper and stick to windows.

Cut star shapes from cereal packets and cover with kitchen foil. Hang from ceiling or stairways with thread where they will catch the light as they revolve.

Make paper chains from strips of foil type wrapping paper and stick loops together with sticky tape. They stay stuck together well and sequins can be added for extra glitz. You can get the older ones to cut up the strips in advance and all join in!

Think about including more functional items for the children's presents, like clothes, underwear, socks, nightwear, toiletries etc and other things they are likely to need.

If you like crackers, look at making your own. Hobbycraft do a pack of six for £2.99 I think, and you assemble them yourself and insert your own choice of gift. This seems more expensive, but you can personalise them and the gift can be something that is actually wanted. You can put things like small jewellery, eyeshadow, lipgloss, pen, keyring, hotwheels car, tiny doll/teddy, mini shower gel/handcream/soap, handbag mirror, hair slides/scrunchies, superbouncy ball, pocket money toys, novelty pencil sharpeners etc. I usually include a sweet in each as well. It extends the present opening and seems very luxurious to have personalised crackers.

Hope there are some ideas here that you can use and that your family will enjoy.

MintyCane Thu 08-Oct-09 16:21:22

We always have to do xmas quite cheaply. Like people have said the best things really are free. I get crackers from poundland and we open the ends up and pop a chocolate in or another small poundland toy they do packs of dinosaurs bouncy balls etc for a pound. I fill stockings with small second hand presents from car boot sales. We decorate the table with stuff we collect on a walk. Last year we had a lot less than usual. I don't think the kids even noticed. We also had more time and less mess it was lovely. This year we are giving them one thing each and I have high hopes it will be fine smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now